Archive through July 20, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the Parts Lookup website, entered 149 in the model menu, then chose 149 from the list then clicked on the Illustrated Parts List and selected Attachments and then 38", 42" 3 Spindle Mower and came up with this:

88983.jpg

Myron B.

Lifting the wood up to the bed of the splitter will not be a problem for my bad back, as I will <u>not</u> be the one doing the lifting, my <u>only job</u> will be to run the clyinder control.

Marlin H
heres what I said over in the lawn tractor section.
"I have to admitt I aint much a mechanic when it comes to working on these hydro units, for me it either they work or they dont, and if they dont work I park them and strip the tractor for usable parts."

Know when it comes to building a hydro controled log splitter I can handle it as long as all the parts are new and in working order.
Repairing hydro stuff, ie motor,pumps, valves ect I am no good at.

Lonny B. So you are mechanically inclined.
happy.gif
You're just a little on the shy side when it comes to working on a hydro. Taking out and cleaning a check or charge valve is quite simple. I truly doubt that any more than that is wrong with your Cub's hydrostatic system. Yes, when someone talks about troubleshooting them and such it sounds scary. The type of hydrostic propulsion on a lawn or garden tractor is extremely simple. Troubleshooting an Electronic Displacement Control system is another and much harder thing to do. You should not have to worry about taking your little Cadet's hydro apart to check the valves on it. Check into the manual that Myron B. recommended.

As for building a log splitter it would be best to find a good hydraulic pump designed for such service. There is a difference between a hydrostatic system and a hydraulic system. For less $$$ than a new 15U you can find a new hydraulic pump for your needs. Run the pump off the front PTO and away you go. One last thing... please keep us posted on your progress. With your imagination and skills I am very confident that you'll build a nice pratical machine.

MARLIN - I agree with Your comment about running the hyd. pump with the front PTO. With My dump trailer I got a while back I was really worried My 982's hyd. system wouldn't have the power to raise much of a load....ao far it's raised everything I've tried to dump, but brush isn't very heavy at all....

Does anyone know what black dust building up on the front of the belt pulley on a starter/generator indicates?

Bad evening, seem to have let the smoke out of the thrust bearing in the clutch of the CCO. At least it's cheap. Not enough greese, opps!

Dennis Frisk - Thank you for your input as well. I'm headin' over to the FIRESTONE website right now to have a look around.

Kenneth

This is my first posting. I am the proud owner of a Cub Cadet Model 102 which appears to be it good condition. It was given to me by a friend who said he had trouble with it running. He had taken it to mechanics who were unable to make it work to his satisfaction.

I would like to start to restore it by first getting it to run. My problem: I am not a professional mechanic and have never done anything like this before. I took a look at the gas tank; it was rusted through so I removed it (I am trying to find a replacement).

Does anyone have any advice as to what next steps should be taken and in what order? I hate to sound stupid but by the same token, I know that there are people out there who have done this before and I would like to benefit from their experience rather than reinvent the wheel (and do it badly).

Thanks to any and all who are willing to help.

A little history, for what it is worth. Back in the early to mid 60s, my father purchased a Cub Cadet in Minnesota (do not know the model). I really thought the tractor was great. When we moved to Florida, the sand chewed up the mower so my dad got rid of the whole thing. I have dreamed of owning a Cub but never had a good opportunity. Now that I have achieved the dream, I want to be able to show it off.

Patrick T:
1) Parts and help are readily available. Most of what you will ask is already found in the forum FAQ (click link above) and Charlie's Cub CAQ. So make sure you are checking and reading them.

2) Without lots of experience, you are not gonna get too far with out the Owners Manual, Parts Manual (TC-113), and the Service Manual(s). So, scroll to the top of the page and click on the Binder Books Icon and get'em ordered. Each of the Manuals contain information NOT found in the others...

3) I and numerous others here have a 102 and will be glad to help as needed....and <u>dont</u> forget those sponsor buttons above for the parts you will surely need.

Myron B
www.CCSupplyRoom.com

Patrick T., welcome!
groupwave.gif
Myron gave you good information. Chris Westfall, a forum sponsor, has used gas tanks available, click on the link to his website above.

Any of you northern IL/southern WI members attending the Freeport Show in Freeport, IL this weekend? I'll be there with the 582 and/or 782D if the fresh paint on my plow dries in time.

http://www.thefreeportshow.com/

Military is the feature this year.

id probably go if A. i knew where it was and B. my 100 was actually working

Well i`am out in the cub shack taking things apart. the last few axel and then the rearend.So much work so little time.here is the only running complete Cub that is not under the wrench.
89010.jpg

Well not much left on the fame on the 129 to take off for paint. ( i know i`am slow lol)just thought i`d share my setup. high speed trailer stub axels (2200 lbs)greasable. later Don T
89015.jpg

89016.jpg

Micheal R. - Freeport is west of Rockford maybe 30 miles. At the Rt. 20 & Rt 26 intersection on the south side of town go SOUTH on Rt 26.....Can't miss all the steam, smoke & dust maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile south.

I have a 1450 parts tractor that I would like to take the transmission out of and put it in a 149. Does anyone know if this will work in the 149?

Thanks
Earl

Earl, that should be an easy swap. The hydro control linkages are different and the 1450 may or may not have the same external brake setup. In any case it should be doable. You should take a look at the Parts Lookup website to compare the linkage setup of the two tractors and that will give you a better idea of what to expect before you tear into them.

Latest posts

Back