• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 06, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a set of those tires also,what's the size and where can i get some?Thanks

John M., I think you need a wiring diagram(check the Faq's page at the top of this page, then go to Charlies Faq's for a free one). With a correct diagram for your cub, a 12 volt test light or volt meter will be usefull to narrow down your problem.

I don't like wiring/diagrams/fixing wiring....., but it has to be done to find your problem. Unless of course, you go with your "shotgun" approach and replace everything.

I have seen hp decals on the sides of gas tanks on narrow frame tractors. Were these decals available/factory on the XX8/XX9 series?

Since no one seems to know the answer to my previous post, can someone please post a picture showing where the lift lever attaches to the "tab" on the rockshaft for a 126 vintage cub? I want to remove my lever to install a hydraulic lift but the lever is welded to the "tab". I was wondering if this was done by the PO or factory. Need to remove but don't want to torch it unless I have to. Thanks.

582 Steering Wheel Removal. Used the method (5/8" fine thread nut and bolt, along with a 2 1/2 lb hammer) recommended in the FAQ and successfully removed steering wheel on 582. The tips are great.

John-David Reaves from Alabama

Jim, to install a factory hydraulic lift the lift lever IS cut off. Tomorrow morning I will post (from my work PC where all my photos are) some info on how to install the factory hydraulic lift onto a narrow frame Cub Cadet.

Todd, I do not believe that the 1x8/9 series had the HP decals on the fuel tanks. However, it's your Cub Cadet feel free to install some. Your 128 is looking good! Keep the photos coming. BTW, those Carlisle Ags are the same size and brand tires I've been planning to put on my 125.
happy.gif

kraig,
if your pics are on your work pc what do you do if you get fired?

Hi I'm knew here, I have a cub original # 38565. The P.T.O. on the motor does not have a clutch for a mower. But there is a smaller pulley mounted infront of the starter pulley. Does anyone know what this pulley is for?

John, We can work kinda backwards with your starting problem. Get a pair of jumper cables and a good battery. Hook the ground to the neg. battery terminal and to the S/G bracket. Hook the red lead to the battery pos. terminal. Touch the other end of the red lead to the Armature terminal on the S/G. Don't clamp it on as all you want to do is make sure the s/g works. It will spark and also should turn the engine over. If you want it to run you will need to turn the ignition switch on. If the engine turns over the S/G is good. If it doesn't you either have a bad connection or the s/g is bad. Moving right along. Close the hood on your car as we're working with the battery in the cub now. Get a jumper wire (a small one not the jumper cables)and hook one end to the battery pos terminal. Touch the other end to the ignition switch terminal on the solenoid. The solenoid should at least click. If it doesn't you either have a bad connection with your jumper wire, a bad ground, a dead battery, or a bad solenoid. If the solenoid clicks and the motor turns over. the problem is upstream of the solenoid. In other words, a safety switch, ignition switch, or bad connection. All these things are in series with one another meaning if one is bad the volt stops here.
You might also want to disconnect the neg. battery terminal and check the voltage across the battery for 12 volts. While you have the neg terminal disconnected, hook one lead of a voltmeter to the neg. battery terminal and the other lead to a good ground. Make sure the ignition switch is off. There should be no reading. If there is a reading you have a short somewhere which will drain the battery. Again, make sure the ignition switch is off otherwise you will have a path to ground if the points are closed.
You could go the other way and start at the battery but I like to check the major components first. There are less of them than all the other possibilities. Marshall

Just got back from a trip to the Chicago area for work over the July 4th holiday......

Kraig-
Great resto progress photos. Glad to see someone is getting something accomplished this summer!
bash.gif

Jason B-
Welcome to the forum. That pulley is used to run the deck on an Original. The deck itself has a foot-operated PTO system, so no engine-mounted PTO is necessary.

Michael R.-
He'd sleep in that day...
err.gif

Home of the plow special- Thanks for the info. this is my first cub, I've had it for about 7 years. I love it, I haven't restored it yet, I can't seem to stop using it long enough to get the job done. Man this thing is a work horse! I plow and grade my 1/8 mile driveway, plow my garden and use it for hauling and cutting fire wood. I found this tractor at a auction, best $65.oo I ever spent!

Charging question on 582. When the engine is on and running the amp meter needle is only about 1/4 inch on charging side of the dial. It never moves any more than that, even when first started. When I turn on the lights, it shows it's discharging. My brother owns the 582, and says it never did charge well and that the voltage regulator was bad. I replaced the voltage regulator, but it doesn't seem to be charging enough. Before I replaced it, it didn't charge at all. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

John-David Reaves - Roll Tide

Michael, I'm one of the co-founders of the company where I work, also I own the hard drive that the photos are on. If I leave the hard drive goes with me.

Jim T., I just remembered that I had posted some info on the hydraulic lift for James M. a few weeks back. Here is a link to my post, scroll about halfway down and you should see my post. Please let me know if you need more info from the manual.

Art, I was wondering where you were off to. Here's more progress photos for you.

88580.jpg

88581.jpg

KRAIG - Runs & sags in CC paint finishes were free at no additional charge from the factory. Neither one of the two brand new CC's We got in the 60's had "Good" paint jobs.

Weekend was full of yard work....spraying & mowing....small casualty yesterday....the bolts holding the S/G bracket to the K181 block on the 70 both broke off. So the 72 got called into sprayer duty. Sure nice mowing with the 72 again.....having WAY more HP than You could ever hope to use with a 38" deck.

Kraig:
The Super Duper tower light looks suspiciously like a 125 shifter painted silver
err.gif
. Didja /. your web server this morning by posting a link??

Hello all!!

New here. I am a Deere guy ( no booos please )and have picked up a '63 Original that was bought new by my father in law. It was handed down to his son and with his passing has been given to me. This was the mower my wife learned to mow on and was her first experience with a clutch. My goal is to restore it over the winter in honor of them, but that wont start till winter. For now will poke around the yard on it and hopefully make Little G with it this year.

I am sure I will have a million questions so fair warning start watching for them
err.gif

88588.jpg

88589.jpg

Kendell, that status light tower is actually a boat running light.
shhh.gif
happy.gif
Server is still up.

Denny, well my refurbs will have no shortage of paint runs/flaws. Here's two where the rattle can nozzle acted up.
angry.gif

88591.jpg

Back