• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 27, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Ray L.
Vol.1,2 or 3?
biggrin.gif

Ray L. -

Most definitely. Tomorrow perhaps?

Tomorrow will work. No sushi please!!!!. Will go to e-mail. . . .

IH part # ?????? QA Gear Box parts

There are two shaft seals, one behind each of the outer bearings in the gear box. Seal has a metal jacket with C / R 7599 on it.

Any one know the IH #

It might be 485-306-R1 if it's the same one as used in the tiller gearbox.

Jim P., after further checking that is the correct PN for the seal on the QA snowthrower gearbox.

I don't have a set up, but am curious as to what speed you guys pull your plows at? also, what size are your plows that you are doing that speed at? How about you guys with tiller attachments?

Thanks!

Jim

Was just given a service manual for my 122. Noticed there is no wiring diagram. Is there a seperate manual I need for the wiring?
Thanks,
C.D.

CD,
Since Bryan is feelin good tonight, he said I could send ya the diagram, but you gotta go buy that other FM too! grin

Jim,
I'm curious too!
Are you planning on joining Mike H. with his depth stick and follow along with your radar gun?
Most Cubs run 0 to 8 MPH. and unless your John L. or Travis S, I would think that around 3 or 4 MPH would be about average depending on the soil. And with a tiller, that depends on the soil too, I've seen snails pass me in the hard stuff.

Plow speed????

Gear drive:

3.9 mph at WOT with a 19 tooth 2nd gear (if you have the clutch, weight, etc. to hold her in 2nd in tough conditions).....otherwise 2.3 mph in first (or somewhere in the middle with a 16/17T second).

Hydro,

As fast as you can pull it and still do a good job......usually just a little faster than those gear guys
happy.gif
happy.gif
(somewhere between 3.5 and 5 mph)

Plow:

95% of the Brinly's are 10", with the rest divided between 8" and 12".

off brands are usually between 6" and 8" and are usually designed for David Bradley walking tractors or the like.

Most plowing is done at 5-6" deep, as deep as 9-10" in sandy clays, and sometimes 5" is a stretch in black hardpan.

Tiller:

Not as fun as plow and never over 1st gear, usually somewhere in the .5 to 1 mph range (good hydro or creeper usually required)

Hyd. lift prefered for both implements (both are heavy after a long day's work...with or without the helper spring!!!)

(Message edited by sblunier on January 27, 2005)

Steve "B",
Well said, "As fast as you can pull it <u>and still do a good job".</u>

Not that I'm the best plowin' guy in the field, but how many of us seen a guy going b---s out, crooked as a dogs hind leg, or just scratching the ground. Straight and steady is the way to go! <font size="-2">(OK, I've been guilty a time or two, but some time you got to climb a <font color="119911">Deer John's </font><font color="000000">transmission.)</font></font>

(Message edited by thoffman on January 27, 2005)

Amen Tom,

(Of course, I just HAD to ride Doug E's @$$, he was running Chris E's 1450,........pull out of the furrow...pass him...drop back in the furrow in front of him, and proceed to chase down Chris E. and his 782 with my 169 at Travis's last fall..........I told him that fresh 16hp had some grunt, but showing him was more fun!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

Steve,
There was one gear drive going over 6 mph at Travis's. He came flying up behind me and my 1650. He made me push the hydro lever as far as she would go and put just a little distance between us. Is your 148 going to be able to accomplish the same task? Nice thing about a hydro, find the speed you feel comfortable with or as fast as you have the power for. Needless to say, I could not go that fast last fall in that good Illinois black dirt.

Wes,

The 148 won't do that unless the ground is light enough to pull it in stock 3rd. It will have (as soon as I get it swapped in) an internal brake trans. with a 19T 2nd good for right at 4 mph. My 100 also has a 19T 2nd and in hard ground the 12hp won't quite cut it (it was overhauled in '85, so it might not be quite 100%, but it is still strong). The 148 will have a freshly overhauled 14hp in it, rapped out to a good strong 3800 rpm's or so.......there shouldn't be much stopping it, provided I don't twist of an axle or top shaft.

Charlie Proctor,
What changes/improvements did you make to your setup to give you those great results in blowing snow?

FWIW the tractor I'm building won't likely do 6mph, but it'll have useable gears for a nice range of speeds. 4000RPM engine, turning a 23% OD input set, 19T third gear, 16T second gear, and the 13T first (so I can use reverse without having to go to a 4-speed fork set and custom shift rods). I hope it's as good of a setup as it looks on paper. One thing of note, to get that 19T to the third gear position, a LOT of iron needs to be ground from the front of the case, enough so that you end up breaking into the back of the lower bolt holes that hold on the reduction housing, so some good RTV needs to be used to seal up those holes/threads.

As far as the 6mph on a hydro goes, I'm willing to bet that the relief valves are bleeding off enough that true full ground speed isn't attained, I can run "full hydro" with my 169, but when my plow used to plug up (doesn't anymore!!!) I'd still get a surge of speed.

Charlie Z,
Changed out the stock 4 1/2" OD cast iron pulley to a 3" OD CAST IRON pulley and went with a 1/2"x29" belt. Put new bearings on both ends of the auger and started throwin snow.
biggrin.gif

If you will do a search back a week or so, you'll see what others have done and should not do as well.

I have a question.... I bought a 682 hydro 1982 I love it and I got it for a steal but..... I want to add hydro lifts to it How many can I add using the ports from the rearend? Can this be done? I wanted to put lines up front for angled blade power. So basically two cylinders will be used at once.

Latest posts

Back