• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quote:

That and the fact that the snow was cleaned up around it, the concrete was dry where the guy did clean and why didn't the snow melt in that square pad around it?

That is because it is such a cool tractor, Charlie!
1a_scratchhead.gif

I know, don't quit my day job....oh wait!

Axle snap ring removal... the cotter pin pullers from Snap On work fantastic! Sort of like Charlie's special screwdriver too.

If you don't have on of these cotter pin pullers your tool box is not complete

PAUL B.- Unfortunately IH was never BIG on sending people in my capacity around to the other plants they dealt with on a daily basis. Seems like I remember driving my own pickup from FARMALL to IH EM one day to pick up a hot part, and taking a Fall Foliage trip to Canton one weekend. Since I handled the KIMCO axles also for the front of the 2+2's, I also didn't get a trip to Japan paid for by IHC. I would have liked to have visited Melrose Pk, see the engine mfg. on one side of the aisle and Crawler production on the other, co-worker had worked there for ten yrs and said it was pretty neat. I eventually got to Melrose, even talked to the traffic mgr one day, while waiting for the paperwork to be completed for a load of engines I delivered to FARMALL about 3-4 hours later! And though I never dealt with them I did get to the West Pullman plant one day in about 1983.

Anyhow, I never got to any of the foundries, but later worked for a steel sand foundry in Bettendorf, Ia. for 5 yrs. I was also casting buyer for three of the four other companies I've worked for, so I've been in MANY other foundries from coast-to-coast. I'm pretty familiar with those metal plates now. I'm sometimes amazed how good the detail is, You can really see the screw slots on many of them.

I don't know what kind of molding equip. LVL had but I imagine it was very automated, grey iron really lends itself to automation. Little grinding of flash is required if the patterns are good, no heat-treat or "Weld repair". Anyhow, They probably ran hundreds of patterns on several lines every day. When I used to call for "Shipments" daily from LVL & Memphis I actually called the painting companies who "Dipped" the castings in the red or yellow oxide sealer that covers all non-machined surfaces of every casting I've ever seen that IH made. That's how My Buddy & I could tell that FARMALL changed suppliers from IH Memphis to jon dear Silvis on the frt axle castings in Jan' 77. They were kinda a Chartruse greenish/yellow instead of a dull 483-looking yellow that Memphis used.

That JD foundry eventually became the soccor field My Son played on when He was about 5-6 yrs old. The Herman Moldmaster they used had been moved to the steel foundry I worked for by then.

Dennis, What was expected for parts on hand for production?

Is there anything special about the wire to the points on the 129 I dont see it as a part in the lookup I am guessing 12 gauge insulated}}

Jeff,

Correct, nothing special about that wire. I believe the OEM was 14 ga. Just be sure to use the grommet with the points cover so it doesn't rub through of course. They are still available from Kohler.

DAVE - WOW, THAT's a tough question actually. The answer is "It Depends". On my tire/rim stuff I had a pair of I think Firestone All Traction Field & Road 10 ply 30.5 x 32 R-1 tires I inherited, along with the proper rims, and My replacement inherited them from Me three years later. But then I had stuff like the 16"x38" double bevel rims that I never had more than a half day supply in the ASRS at any one time that I used about 250/day of and a semi trailer only held 96 or 104 of. But I probably had a two-three day supply on trucks scheduled to be unloaded. I actually got to the point I could actually sleep at night knowing I could keep a Million Dollar an HOUR assembly line in parts AND turn Inventory 300-350 times a year. This was way before the term "JIT" was invented and about the same time the automotive industry was making their big suppliers build warehouses across the street from their plants, but My suppliers were all over the country. I needed 16 or 17 semi-truck loads of tires, wheels, & rims DAILY to keep the line running. A semi-truck load of batteries lasted 4-1/2 days until We switched from common carriers to contract carriers with lighter tractors/trailers and they could haul a 5-day supply from either Kansas City, KS(Delco) or Toledo, OH(Prestolite).
Rockford Clutch, Div. of Borg-Warner was another supplier of mine, clutch pressure plates & clutch discs, on the low volume stuff (Hydro drive plates, 686, 786, 886, 1586 stuff I got monthly shipments, on the high volume stuff, 9, 10 & 1486's I'd get a week or two week supply per shipment. Paint mostly came from Moline Paint Mfg, and a little from Valspar, MPM sent their Engineer in weekly to discuss problems, inventory Our paint, and He'd tell Me what to release. 2150 red mostly came in 350 gallon tote tanks, white, semi-gloss black, etc. came in 55 gal. drums, special stuff like 483 yellow, and the special orange & green for the "Carrot Farm" tractors like the one @ RPRU this summer all came in 5 gal. pails.
I had a stamping house in Dubuque, IA and two o-ring suppliers, National Seal in Downey, CA, and a distributor in Indy. Ohhh also owner's manuals from Harvester Press in W. Chicago, IL. And IH Hinsdale made what was called a "Hammer Strap" for the swinging drawbar which I also had to order the steel for them from WIS. Steel in Chicago. Hinsdale stored the steel and ran the parts and shipped monthly. Most of the smaller quantity stuff I let ship every month. I'd do a little expediting if necessary. We had Stock Chasers on the lines to give Us heads-up on parts We were getting low on, and Production Schedulers who would also have Us chase raw materials in that required machining, welding, etc.

There were 13 of Us scheduling suppliers, pretty much divided by commodity, It was a department NOBODY really wanted to be in, as a former co-worker described the job once, "Yes, and for My retirement job I want to be an air traffic controller at O'Hare AP!".

I handled "Interworks" for 3-4 months and really didn't care for it, mostly E.Moline, Canton, Shadyside, OH stamping plant, Memphis, and Indy for castings.

LVL was their own "Desk", one person was responsible for castings, forgings, machined parts, and assemblies with some help from a second person. LVL eventually supplied the complete assembled transfer case for the 2+2's. They were always in short supply, a "Normal Day" was two air charters with T-cases plus a few on trucks. Keep in mind the 2+2's were supposed to be a 16/day deal between the 2-3 models made. But We were scheduling up to forty-two per day for a LONG time.

But along the way I managed to aquire a real nice collection of insulated plastic coffee mugs from most of My suppliers that were NOT dishwasher-proof, get some prints from Engineering upstairs for FARMALL wire harnesses & battery boxes, buy IH caps, jackets, also win awards from the MP&D dept. for service parts fill rate, everything 100% on-time for almost two years. Ohhh, and to keep this On-topic, talked to someone in Inventory Control or Purchasing in LVL to get the name of the Kohler salesman to buy a K241 for Dad's CC. COMPLETE engine for $300 back in Sept., 1981.

Dennis-

I posted this a week or so ago asking about the tag. Is this what you're talking about being able to see the slots of the screws used? I assume this is a production date. The axle is from a 149.

Later....Wayne

184656.jpg

DAVE - Forgot to mention, most of the time I was there in Scheduling, We were building between 125-145/day. When FARMALL added the second shift assembly in fall of '76 they were running 175/day. They really couldn't run much more than 150/shift. But they also couldn't afford to run LESS than 100/day and make money. The lowest they would schedule was 105-110/day. During the time I was in Scheduling the 686/H86 was discontinued, 786 was released, really a "non-event", it was a 886 without a cab. I was even the one to think of getting "Generic 786/886 engines" in from the Nuess Plant in Germany and having final pump calibration done at the local BOSCH service center in Rock Island. The 786 was more "Popular" than expected and I contacted Germany to talk to the Bosch distributor on how to convert 886 engines into 786 engines. They were both D358's, the pump calibration was the only difference. AND the 2+2's had just been released when I started in scheduling. I was involved in a lot of changes for the release of the 88-series. Some of My parts "Died" but all my wheels & rims changed color. The bad part was my silver rear rims were no longer a "Standard". The IH silver rims on the 86-series was the same as the rims on an Allis, White, & Case, now I joined the ranks of FORD & JD with a "Special Color".

When I started at FARMALL back in fall of '76 in subassembly for the WFE's, FARMALL was still building two 4186's a day if they were lucky WAY down at the west end of the plant. Those beasts started life on two huge steel sawhorses. I think the whole department was eight people. When the 4186 went away, the 686/H86 was taken off the main line and assembled the same way in the same area. When I started at FARMALL they were still building TWO gas-powered 686's/day, sometimes a 686 AND a H86. REALLY rare tractors today!

JIM D. - Interesting You mentioned that points cover grommet. I priced one at my local Kohler dealer last spring. $5 plus shipping & tax!

It's enough to make a person get CREATIVE with a chalking gun full of RTV.

Dennis,

Thanks for posting that interesting IH stuff! Lots of old 686's here in dairyland. I really liked the 786, an ideal unit for haying.

JIM D. - Forgot one of my other suppliers, ELWOOD Mfg, they made the FWA for the 86-series. Their co-Owner who had retired from CAT in Joliet predicted in 1980 that the Future of ag tractors was in the under 100 HP bracket with FWA. After the 786 was released, a LOT of 786's got FWA, made a good chore tractor with a loader. Real good on fuel, plenty of weight, and more HP was just a turn of a screw away. Those little D358's were used in the 1420 combines at around 120-125 HP without a turbo. The little D310 would live @ 140 HP with a turbo. D358 would be good for 150-160 easily.

The little FARMALL's had smaller components like diff gearsm bull gears, axles, but still WAY bigger than the 686. Very seldom hear of one with problems other than clutch or TA. Biggest problem is trying to find someone to part with one!

SOME day I'm going to have to figure out a way to put a T/A into a GD Cub Cadet! Wyatt & I talked that idea to death years ago!

Dennis, Thanks for that.
Wayne, It was between that picture and some pieces I came across this week that prompted the questions.

On the add for the Sweepster what is the 3rd tractor down on the left. I can't make it out.

Please try to use this topic for discussion about IH Garden Tractors built prior to 1981.

Frank C.
It's right here.
clappy.gif

1) Original
2) 70
3) 100
4) 71
5) 102
6) 122
7) 123
8) 72
9) 104
10) 124
11) 105
12) 125
13) 73
14) 106
15) 126
16) 107
17) 127
18) 147
19) 86
20) 108
21) 128
22) 109
23) 129
24) 149
25) 169
26) 800
27) 1000
28) 1200
29) 1100 <---Questionable as to being a GT (I say this due to belt drive and B&S engine, but mostly due to the transmission)
30) 1250
31) 1450
32) 1650
33) 482<---Questionable as to being a GT (I say this due to belt drive and B&S engine, but mostly due to the transmission)
34) 582
35) 582 Special <---Questionable as to being a GT (I say this due to belt drive and B&S engine, but mostly due to the transmission)
36) 682
37) 782
38) 982

Today will be a good day here.Kevin Mailman will arrive at 10 am with his 104 that we took apart last fall and we will start the refurbish on that Cub. He will help me get my 1961 Original up on jack stands so I can take it apart for painting as well.I do have a few other projects that need to be done also.I want to have 6 cubs ready for the summer parade(exhibition ) that we have here every year so we have to get at it to make it this year.I found a nice 149 all original and yesterday the owner called and ask if I wanted to buy it,I will see it again Friday and see if its still in great shape.He said he hasn`t used it in two years.It won`t start so he bought a crappie tire replacement and I should go and see it before he changes his mind ($400.00) . I just don`t know how I will get it home without the wife seeing it with all the snow here. I will have to find a place to hide it lol. Hope you all will have a great day!my two year old confuser has a burnt video card and had a hard time getting a replacement.The Sapphire 128 is nla and the only video card that we could find was a 1 gig. I don`t think I need a high end card but thats all we could find. It was $750.00 when it was new and now since they don`t make it anymore I got It for $146.00 .I will see this am what it works like. Have a great day . Later Don T
coffee.gif

Back