• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, Yes the PTO switch is off. The starter engages, but can't turn the engine. I tried rotating the drive shaft with the spark plug out. It's hard to turn. I don't think the engine is seized, because there it ran fine, no strange noises. It also turned over fine just before it wouldn't start.

Got the driveway cleared first thing this morning...the 123 worked just fine
happy.gif

Click here for some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShwaH86REIg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6n26YLq6bM

Brian G. Check all electrical connections for a good ground and even your swtich connections. That part is somewhat a PITA however... good connections are important. The Keepsake 1650 did the same thing to me once. Turned out the connections to the switch were bad.

Steve S. You had too much fun.
266698.gif

On the cutting the frame thing. Cutting the frame is not for me....but I'm not you! It's you traqctor and do what you want with it. If you do a nice job, that's one thing, but I've seen some that look like Stevie Wonder did it at night in the fog with sunglasses on. I' mean to tell you some cutting jobs are just freakin' unbelievable.

Charlie...the chute has been turning kind of hard recently; probably needs a little grease LOL. Lately I've just been leaving it alone once I find out what works with the wind direction (even if it means making several more passes). Even so, it's only a 15-20 minute job. I'm always glad when the engine starts on its own in the winter without being jumped...the last few times have been impressive!

Charlie, not turning the chute means more passes. Which means more CUB time! Come on, you should know these things.
ihrotate.gif

I did get some seat time today running my 1512 and the 450 snow blower. The snow was real heavy and wet and I was not impressed with the 450. It plugged up and stopped working so I had to put the tractor in my heated shop to thaw out. I have two single stage thrower here and well I would like to add one to my diesel 1512 but I know the belts are different so I think it won`t fit and work . I might have to put the single stage with the speed up pulley on my 149 to see how it moves snow. When ever we get snow it turns to rain soon after the snow stops and that makes it hard for my snow blower to move the snow. I think I will give the 149 a try with a single stage blower ; I will be asking a few questions .

Brian G.

PTO bearing seized? Take the belt off the thrower and try it (or watch the thrower as you spin it over by hand to see if it moves with the engine with the switch off....it shouldn't). Otherwise, you may have locked her up....

The 1450 is on my truck in the driveway. This is the skinny:

The #2 tiller is in excellent shape and complete. The rear guard is there as well as the belts. The tines how little wear. the sheet metal is straight.

The tractor has the three point hitch and OEM IH wheel weights. The engine runs and you can drive the tractor. The side covers came with it.

I came with a three point scraper that looks like a IH mount but the scraper is painted black.

The Bad:

The tractor is rough. The wiring is a mess. You have to hotwire it o start it. Someone put an automotive battery on it so they shimmed up the seat using square tube. The fenders are bent in several places. The front casting on the hood is cracked off. The fiberglass dashboard needs replaced including the dash tin. When he engine is running the entire dash and support vibrate. The hydro controls are tough to move.

The lift handle cracked and the linkage is missing so I couldn't operate it. The seal between the pump and trans is leaking.

The mower deck may not be worth salvaging. The spindles feel good so I will grab them if it isn't worth saving.

The Ugly:

It spent a lot of time outside in the rain and sun. Rust, faded stickers and a screwed up seat.

I may have a source for for a wide frame creeper. If I can get it I'll run the tiller behind my 1000 after moving the 3 point hitch over to it. That I'll buy me time to fix the 1450.

It's late here and I have been gone for 6 hours. I'll post pictures next weeke}

Nic/Charlie; To be so lucky, right!
err.gif

Got a few 'action' shots of the thrower being tested the other night. Plenty of work to get things tuned up but looking good so far. Need to make a new lift rod, of the three in my garage none of them are the right lenght. Go figure.

266707.jpg

Does the narrow frame IH Cub Cadet model 72 have hydraulic mounting holes in the right side of the frame? I believe my 72 has the three holes from the factory. My serial number is 239718. Many IH Cub Cadets of the 1968 line up are shown equipped with the narrow frame hydraulic pump, which would indicate IH had the holes figured out in the frame at this point of manufacturing.

Also, while I don't believe in drilling holes, or chopping tunnel cut-out's in the narrow frame gear drives, the one exception I will excuse is the one who is old enough to spill his coffee. Other than that being said, nothing but pure laziness and dull applicatory substitute for reason which is the resulting, such action.

Thank you

Probably ought just lurk vs post....

Don T - you didn't hit the hornets nest with the tunnel cover, I did. I asked a question and you simply replied - which I appreciate, and that cover you got looks great.

I truly appreciate all replies to my pesky questions (and others), but the implication that one is lazy or has no mechanical skills for this mod is over the top. As Don said, it's only a garden tractor - get over it and as Steve B said, he doesn't run any Cub Cadet that isn't modified in some way.

LOL - sometimes I think it takes a thick skin to hang around here as evidenced with this "cut a hole in the tunnel cover" as it solicits down talk comments like laziness and lack of mechanical skills. The hobby is just not as fun when this trash is thrown about.

Now - let's say I'm an engineer. Let's say I design a tractor similar to the NF and the question arises - how do you access the area beneath the tunnel cover and I get to explain this to my boss.

Well, boss - you have to jack the tractor up or roll it on it's side or crawl under it or....

My guess is the boss would say, that's not a very good design. How about putting a tunnel cover on it so you can get access from the top. Which, BTW is exactly what IH did with the WF tractors. As I said in my earlier post, I have no reason to make any cuts - yet, but if and when the time comes, I will after all, as as been pointed out, it's my tractor.

Again - I truly appreciate everyone's replies to my posts more than you can know.

Off my soapbox, back to lurking......

greenthumb.gif

Bill and All-
If you look at the way a narrow-frame tractor is constructed, you'll notice that there is a frame-cover there, it's just welded on.

Back when I had plans of building a highly customized narrow-frame loader tractor, I was going to drill out the spot welds holding that "cover" on and then drill some fine holes with nuts welded on the back-side so that this "cover" was removable, much like it is on a wide frame.

I'm not certain how well it would have worked, but my point is that when done "correctly" mods like this can enhance IH's design rather than detract from it like many of the "Stevie Wonder" frame cut outs we've all seen throughout the years.

If you take your time and plan out what you're going to cut/drill out, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's is after all your tractor.

Again guys, lets not get too uptight, after all... "It's just a silly little yellow tractor".
happy.gif

Thanks for your comments on the NF cover that IH "did" install in the NF tractor. I would think all these NF guys would know about that cover . I have been working on Cubs now for a few years and I still lean new things. They are well built and mostly a great design . but there have been many new ideas as time when by that can be used on our Cubs that I feel are good for the tractor. I could make a long list of parts that have improved my steering and other areas of the tractor.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back