• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 19, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home too late last night to take a photo of the strobe mount but I found one old photo that I was able to zoom in on that kind of shows it.
25130.jpg

Charlie..

I hear ya, I 'prolly should check that stuff, but when i rebuilt the thrower, I torqued that set screw down, added loctite, staked it, and it still came out. IMO, the design is goofy, because there is not a set screw on the key itself, only opposite the keyway on the other side.

sound like a good time for the man's prayer:

I'm a man
I can change
If I have to,
I guess...
biggrin.gif

my new email is [email protected]

thx

Scott T,
I guess I know why I added an extra set screw to mine. You might want to check the shaft end, the keyway and the shaft to make sure that it's not worn to the point that it's slingin the key right out the end with everything tight.

Scott-
Been there. Note that drilled in the end of the keyway there's a 1/8" hole, cotter pin gets put in there. It's a goofy design, but once you get it pinned it lasts.

Charlie..

sounds like a good idea... i replaced the set screw with a bolt and a jam nut, and tighted the #$%#$ out of it. I also 'boogered' up the keystock with a serrated framing hammer a little to give it some 'teeth'...

Wyatt..

I saw that hole in the shaft, but there was no corresponding hole in the u-joint knuckle... maybe a project for this spring...

Question:

What is the Belt Width and Pulley Dia. on a QA-42a on a 1450 Quiteline.

I thought it was a wider belt and larger dia. pulley then the QA-42a's for a 149 etc...

Thanks

Scott-
There IS NO corresponding hole, the cotter pin is just installed as a retainer so the yoke can only move so far down the shaft.

Don't know how to do a search on it, but I brought it up last year. The pin is on the QA-42A parts diagram.

Tim G. -

If you take a look at the chart at www.ihcubcadet.com , you'll find that the x82 series had the wider belt. All earlier tractors take the same narrower belt.

Hmm, so thats why my thrower has a large cotter pin in its drive shaft. Someone drilled the u-joint and pinned the whole thing. Its never given me trouble in 10+yrs. Belts are a different story...

Got my CW36 thrower apart, ready for grindin / sandin. Any advice on metal prep for the Slip Plate paint? Guess I could ask the punk at the tractor supply store but I know you folks have used the stuff before.

Belts on a thrower???? I feed the #$%^ out of mine and I'm still on the original belt I bought over 4 years ago.

You have to be "quick on the draw" if you stuff it.....

wyatt..

I see, said the blind man... i get you now, and now that you mention that, maybe i neglected to put it back in when i went through the thrower...
err.gif

i use a B-section belt to go along with the electric pto, which does not slip in any way, in fact will bring the engine to it's knees

Steve B and others,
I've had 2 or 3 guys email me with thrower belt problems and from the pics and info that I have gotten, it seems that some of the QA's are a little sloppy and or they messed with the position of the pulley on the gear box shaft and put it back on with the pulley flush with the shaft. And by doin so, throw the vertical alignment of the belt WAY OFF and eat the crap out of the belts.
I have yet to see a pulley on a thrower showing less than 1/4" on the shaft.

......As hard as it is to believe, and I'll preface it with a AFAIK, I'm still using the belt that came with the QA42 when my parents bought it new back in 1969...... I KNOW I've been using the same belt since 1989. Whether or not my dad bought a new one at some point I don't know but the belt sure looks old!

Scott T,
Here's the little solid Cast pulley I used on mine. Notice that it's not flush with the end of the shaft.
25134.jpg

Everybody is askin where I got my pulleys, well 2 years ago at auction, I brought home this box full, and well now you know the rest of the story!
25135.jpg

And while I'm shootin off my mouth, I gotta tellya! I REALLY LIKE those ags on wide rims!!!!
25136.jpg

ALSO,
Before we get guys goin out and buying 2 1/2" pulleys, that measurement is the inside measurement, the pulley actually measures 3" outside diameter.
Man I would hate to think how fast a thrower would be spinnin with a 2 1/2" OD pulley!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Question for the masses.
Looking through the material I have on 149's, it shows and says that all 149's came with headlights from the factory.
Can anyone verify if they did or did not?

Drive belt question
I have two decks for my 149, one is a 38" cut with a 6.25" drive pully.The other is a 48" cut with a 5" drive pully.What size PTO belt do I need for the 38" cut deck (S/N missing)? The drive belt which powers the 48" deck is to short.Can I just run a string through the path and measure or is there something I don't understand.
Thanks, Herb

Latest posts

Back