• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 16, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dennis....Thanks a whole lot. I've never really understood what that 'little' spring was for but you're absolutely correct. That spring is broken and it's been broken for years. It's also broken on my three other tractors.

Well, add another spring task to do.

Thanks Again...I really appreciate it.

Thinking pretty seriously about downsizing the pulley on my QA42 in order to get a bit more distance out of it, maybe dropping a 1/2" or so, try to stay a bit conservative out of respect for the neighbors. Does anyone have a maunfacturer's name and part number for one of these? I'd like to be armed with some info before taking the search up into Rochester to the parts houses. Or, does anyone have an "experimental" pulley that they'd part with? Thanks, all.

Zacary,
I just went through the cylinder head thing recently, on my K301 in a 123. Mine was REALLY improperly torqued by the PO, warped to the point of blowing out the gasket, and actually had a hairline crack near the plug hole. (It ain't a small block Chevy!!!!) There are a lot of good used heads out there, both on the Cub sites and also FleaBay. I found one with a gasket for under $20, it arrived in 3 days, clean, blasted, and ready to work.

I also got another lesson in Cubbing...the new head was a bit different in the casting than the OEM. The "towers" that the bolts drop through on the original head were level with the top of the fins. The new head's towers were about 1/2" shorter, which I understand to be the way they are made now, as opposed to '67. Unfortunately, that meant new bolts, no big deal...wrong, because the head bolts also are used to mount various shrouds, the fuel tank, etc. Rather than chase after another a new head, and on the advice of some folks here, I got some grade 8 3" fully threaded studs, and used nuts at the head level, and more nuts to secure the rest. It worked fine, looked a bit funky, but it ain't no restoration piece. I had a concern at the fuel tank area, used a couple of flat washers to gain a tad more height for the tank because the clearance wasn't what I wanted. In the spring I may adjust the length of a couple of the studs that aren't needed at 3", but again, it works just fine. Bottom line, you can make sure that the replacement head is the same as your original, or go the route that I did, which kinda invalidates the good deal on the head but works FB. The high performance head (LP) is going for really big dollars, but the others can be had readily for 20-30 bucks. If yours is suspect, with cracks or warpage, toss it.

JosephA: Your sweeper was made between 1982 & 1985 by the Cub Cadet Corporation for sale by the IH dealer network. The key is that it has both an MTD style CCC whole goods number (193-165-100) and an IH Kind/Code number(1340007U000438). In CC whole good numbers the three last digits (100) indicates it is a Cub Cadet item. Underneath it you notice the first seven digits of the IH kind/code (134-0007). With a one-up serial number of only 000438 the likely year of mfr is late 1982/early 1983 but I can't prove that.
Myron B

Ray, the strobe light on my 125 was made by Warn Industries.

William D. -

You walk into your local farm supply store and get one of their stamped pulley/hub combos and weld 'em together. The concept is that they don't have to stock every pulley/shaft size possible, just a bunch of pulleys and a bunch of hubs. If you want to go thru the expense, I'm sure you can order a cast iron pulley from Grainger or McMaster.

Joseph A. - welcome aboard. I think you're the second Rhode Islander on this forum.

Roy in Chepachet

Myron/Joe "A",
I'd say that sweeper was made by Parker, and carries the Cub Cadet name tag.

I agree with Tom. I have a late 60's Parker and it looks darn near the same as the one that Joe posted. The brush shroud on the Parkers was light blue rather than white.

25100.jpg

TomH/Kraig: When I said made by CCC, I should have said marketed by CCC. I agree that Parker was the actual manufacturer for the sweepers sold under the CCC & IH labels.
MyronB

Took the head off...looks like the one I want to buy is a perfect match..but it is snowing NOW.

GDMFSFBS

I'll leave that up to interpretation.

Cylinder head and cylinder/valves lookin' nasty. More work/time/less money. Oh well, it'll snow again...at least i'm done with exams and i don't got school for a bit.

Off to the garage.

Thanks for info.

HELLO . I AM NEW POSTING HERE, BUT I HAVE BEEN READING. I HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS ABOUT THE BLOWERS. I HAVE BOUGHT THE SLIP PLATE TO PUT ON AND WAS THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THE PULLEY. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF CHANGING THE PULLEY TO A SMALLER ONE WOULD HAVE ANY AFFECT ON THE GEAR BOX? JUST DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT.
THANKS FOR ANY INFO.
KEVIN FROM PA

Kevin P.
It's a THROWER not a BLOWER. ;-P
As with anything that you modify to do something that it's not designed to do, you have to pay attention to what's going on after you make the modifications as to not grenade everything. But if youo make sure everything is up to snuff and tight, I really think the gear box can handle the speed.
But to answer your questions of what affects changing the pulley has.
It makes it turn faster.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Seth, Napa came out with a new line of electric pto clutches, you might check, the last one I sold was $130. It might be worth a shot.

Zak- cheer up, man- as nasty as it looks in there, don't forget- it was RUNNING! :) Flatheads get a little yucky due to shape, burn, etc., and sometimes they need a little de-carbonation. The guys' recommendation to run a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas every so often is part of that- it tends to act as a detergent or 'release agent' that knocks carbon loose and sends it barfing out the exhaust.

A similar tactic that was taught to me by an old leather-skinned guy that used to race Vincent motorcycles and Flathead Fords (what a combination!)... it was to take a Windex bottle, and fill it full of tap water.... start the engine, warm it up good, take off the air-cleaner, set the squirter to medium spray, flip the throttle open and squirt-like-heck... shoot it right into the throat, and as engine bogs, open throttle more.

Now, it's not the safest thing in the world, and there's better things one could do to an engine, but there's also much worse. By spraying water in there, the water (because of several physical conditions) breaks carbon soot free from stuff, and since the engine's running, it pukes it out the back.

I remember him doing this to a Flathead Ford-powered backup generator that'd been extracted from the basement of a broadcast station here in town. Apparently, it got to running really bad, and it got replaced for a newer type that was installed on the roof. even after it was restarted, it ran bad... until it got a healthy dose of water-injection. It rained carbon-crap for about 15 minutes afterward, and has been running like a champ (with a shot of MMO in every third tankfull) since then.

But since you've got the head off, scrape the worst off the piston top, valve areas, and valve tops with a putty knife, and suck up all the debris with a shop-vac, put it back together, and pour a shot-glass full'a MMO in the fuel tank.

Don't forget to rinse out the shot-glass before you put it back in dad's spirits-locker!
eww.gif

Dave K2, the Mercury Capri with 2.3l Turbo that I sold to Wyatt had a water injection system on it, supposedly to help prevent detonation when under high boost pressure from the turbo. It was part of an adjustable boost kit I added. The stock waste gate opened at 6lb of boost, with the adjustable boost kit the waste gate was adjustable from the drivers seat to open at up to around 20lb of boost. It ran best at 16lb of boost provided I filled it with high octane gasoline and added a can of octane boost. I disconnected the water injector because the can of octane boost worked better. I sure miss that car, after I had it modified redline was 8500 rpm. I also added a HD clutch which made it fun to run it up to around 4500 rpm, dump the clutch and hold on. Dang I miss that car........

Wyatt, how the Capri project progressing?

Off topic but there were 2 Cub Cadets in the garage in the background, a 125 and a 2072. :eek:)
25103.jpg

what? . . . . oh I think I remember I have a car, it's under all these divorce papers and reciepts for a tractor I'm building . . . . all that's been accumulating dust while I'm doing fire training . . . . .

I've been so busy I have to schedule time to catch my breath!

(Message edited by wcompton on January 19, 2005)

Kraig,
Yes, strobe light. I want one for late night winter plowing. . . .
Thanks

Latest posts

Back