• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 11, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom-

"pucker factor" isn't one of the commonly-considered cases of 'vapor lock', but grounding the battery through carbeurator would most definately legitimize both...
cwm.gif

For all you good people out in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valley area,

How is it out there? Is the river as high as some are saying? I was over at the Corps of Engineers Trans-Atlantic center today, and that is all some of the folks were talking about.

TPG

Hi Todd!

I'm RIGHT on the Mississippi here, 395.7 river miles above the confluence of the Ohio river, and I'm 3 statute miles from USACE Lock and Dam #14. Here's a hydrograph of the last 7 days' waterflow:
http://water.mvr.usace.army.mil/docs/hydrographs/mi14.gif
Now, that waterflow curve looks pretty viscious, but in reality, it's not- at anything under 40,000 cubic feet per second, the river is essentially standing still. Here's what the hydrograph looked like in the flood of 2001...
24997.jpg

24998.jpg

Here's a view of the yard at 15.27' and 225,000cuft/sec

24999.jpg

When that upper (solid blue line) goes above the 13.5' mark on the left, the water is above my front seawall, about a foot deep in the UPHILL side of the boathouse (about 2.5' at the lower end). When it crosses the 15.5' mark, water is across the road in front of my house, and lapping the driveway apron. At 27.5', water laps up against my front-porch foundation, the East Moline Case-IH plant is submerged to it's roof, Silvis, East Moline, Moline, Bettendorf, Rock Island, and Davenport are all without water and sewer services. Needless to say, in the 110 years that it has been here, the foundation of my house has NEVER been touched by the by the river... stage has never exceeded 19.7' right here. I am, however, 9' below the 100-year flood plain according to FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Map... that puts the 500-year floodline at about the peak of the I-80 bridge...

But today, We're fine here....

Ken, I think anyone that plowed at Steve's fall plowday gained some weight out of the field. even after cleaning for 45 minutes on two tractors, I still was pulling mud out of the wheel wells a week later.

The IL river is supposed to crest on Tues at +22'. At the gas plant along the river we have the sea wall door installed and any crew that wasn't on a gas leak today was filling sand bags.......WTH is up with a FLOOD in JANUARY?????....very strange winter so far in Central IL!!!

Chris,

You were just trying to boost the performance of you garden by taking some good soil back with you carefully disguised as "muddy tires"........we all know the truth!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I'm in the Wabash River Valley. The river is about 1/2 mile from home. Up stream about 7 miles in Montezuma they finally quit sand bagging after it crested the levee and began flowing into town anyway. It's also flooding low lying areas of the City of Clinton...something which I've never seen. In some areas of town its backflowing in the storm sewers and coming up in the streets. Plus its now 10 degrees so it'll make a mess. The fire department was out evacuating people with boats in low areas of the city.

I calculated 1.6 million gallons per second flowing past Montezuma, IN based on the updated hydrographs.

Tonight I was working on the 782 at work in the shop. The river is a mile from the building. Looking out back I could see it flowing past 100 yards away. But were up a hill so were gonna be fine.
happy.gif

Well you folks be careful out that way. I know that the USACE has a two teams on aleart here for deployment out that away and the FEMA Disaster Center on Mt Weather has been on 12 hour days and on aleart. ALL of this is related to possible flooding of that area....

On a more personal note, a friend of mine was wounded today in Iraq. his wife ( that is why I was at the USACE Center today) said they are not sure if they will be able to save his right leg and arm. 18 years, 4 combat zones and never so much as a scratch before today....! Heres to Him A Fine Marine
beerchug.gif

The cubs that had external brakes, were any models offered with independent 'steering' brakes?

If so, could somebody post a pic of the pedal arrangement? Thanks.

Wintertime floods SUCK... the worst flooding on the Rock River happens late in the winter- as the ice breaks up, it jams against bridges, trees, etc., and dams the river up bigtime. One thing to have your house inundated or washed away by water... it's another to have it turned into glacial-till...

I've got a few lift rods in the shed and I'm looking for one that fits on a 1650 with a QA42 thrower on it. Have long ones and short ones. What's the correct length for the above combo? <font size="-2">(No, I don't have the tractor here otherwise I'd measure it myself!)</font>

(Message edited by thoffman on January 15, 2005)

Tom H.
Mine measures 26 3/4" center to center. That gives me about 3" down travel for getting these freakin uneven side walks around my part of town.

And yes that other thing is in the mail! grin

Thanks and Thanks. Now to go out in the
censored.gif
cold and snag 'em outta' there.

Well Dave, just keep your feet dry. Be a shame to get the road to your house washed out. maybe they would have to fix it! Guess that you would need speed bumps then.

Kraig,
Got the PD8 CD today! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve B,
I think we need ask your brother just where in the manual it tells how to do this!
biggrin.gif

25016.jpg

Jerry- don't really hafta worry about it getting 'washed out'... we all stop driving on the road before the river gets to it... everybody down here knows that the groundwater level equates to river level after a few days of high water, so we stop drivin' on it before it gets soft. Bedrock is only down about 8-10" anyway...

That being said... water's only been all the way over this road right here three times in 100 years... '65, '93, and '2001. There's some spots downstream a half-mile where it's been under like... two more times... and only one spot upstream where it's been over one more time, so it's no big deal.

I've put in a request for FEMA to assess MY flood-plain status, and if the paperwork goes through, my neighbors and I should be able to get the survey crew in her, with FEMA datum, to establish 'correct' levels for 100- and 500yr floodplain status- I know I'm out of the former, and as such, I shouldn't be required to carry flood insurance. If that succeeds, I'll probably sue for refund of all flood-insurance premiums paid since I purchased the property- I filed protest the day we moved in (knowing exactly where FEMA set the 100yr line at, and also knowing exactly where the highest flood has registered since 1835... FEMA's FIRM hasn't been amended since it was drawn up in what... 1970? According to elevations marked on the FIRM, three houses across the stream from me are submerged right now...
bash.gif

All I can say is... one of those guys has a 1450 that he mows with, and he's NEVER flooded it!
cwm.gif

(Message edited by dkamp on January 15, 2005)

Charlie,

I couldn't find it in the manual either, but that 782 w/20hp Magnum will EAT at a full 8" deep with a 12" plow if you ride it like that.

Trick is staying on for the full 8 seconds!!!!

Charlie, I agree. I got mine this week also and finally got to watch it this morning. Very good job as usual Kraig. As you can see, it was a little slippery in spots but it was still a fun day. I will see how the grass grows where that nice Illinois dirt was washed off the cubs this year.

Digger,that picture you posted.it looks like he is using his draft control.a nice feature on the large tractors. ha ha

I'm thinkin the Blunier guys have the market cornered on alternative plowing methods.
err.gif

25025.jpg

Course Ryan M. had to help Steve out a bit, must be an age thing or somethin!
biggrin.gif

AND!!!!
Art had to be the instigator, since it was his yard!

(Message edited by cproctor on January 15, 2005)

Latest posts

Back