• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Scott, you might be on the right track, I just found this in an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>/Kohler service Manual.

49494.jpg

Scott, here's the drawing mentioned in the text that I posted below.

49496.jpg

Scott, here's a photo of what that drawing is of. This is from a K161. This photo was taken by Bryan M. when he restored his Original that he has since sold.

49498.jpg

Hey fellas, what's the easiest way to identify the hp of your kohler w/out stickers, or a micrometer???

Glen, the 7hp and 8hp are visibly smaller. If the gas tank is with the engine a 10 hp will have a smaller tank then a 12hp or a 14hp. The 14hp will usually have a larger flywheel housing. On the narrow frame Cubs the fuel tank will usually have a Xhp decal. The 16hp as in a 169 will have a larger air filter housing. Keep in mind that fuel tanks, air filter housings, flywheels/housings can all be swapped out so in some cases the only REAL way would be to check the innerds.

49500.jpg

7hp

49501.jpg

10hp, note smaller tank size, squarish end profile.

49502.jpg

12hp, note larger tank size, rectangular end profile.

GLEN - Tape measure or ruler to measure piston dia. then stroke. Physical size breaks things down a LOT. The K161 & K181 are shorter and smaller than the K241 & larger engines. K241 can have a flat oil pan but all the larger K301, 321, & 341 engines have a dropped sump on their pans.
KRAIG - That picture from the service manual is exactly what My K181 had. So very little is different between the two I can't believe the K161 wouldn't be the same. All Kohler did was stroke the crankshaft a quarter inch. And ALL K181's are 2-15/16" bore where some K161's were 2-7/8" and some were 2-15/16". The idea of the breather is to keep vacuum inside the engine.

Thanks Kraig, I just ordered my 149's new decals from binder books, and I also got my got plow markers for my plow, so I can gauge my corners when I'm plowin the white stuff...

Thanks, Paul, for the info about the throw out bearing. That bearing has only lasted 40 years and 2 engine rebuilds. They don't make em like they use to.

Hey Kraig, im hoping that is true, because all there is in the governor shaft is just a bushing, no o ring or anything.This motor has new paint and thats why the oil leak bothers me so much but with you guys helping me with my questions, i see it will be fixed fast.

Jeez, here we go again....
censored.gif
swear.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Bob Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your reply.
I am very much interested in the deck at your asking price. I read and understand it is in great shape.At present i'm in the U.K on vacation.Meanwhile,i'll then instruct my colleague back in the STATES to issue out U.S MONEY ORDER in your name and having it in mind that business is based on trust,when you receive the check,cash it in your bank,deduct the amount due for the purchase[$350]and send back the remaining funds via western union
money transfer to my reputable shipping Agent,whom will take care of the pick up in your location.
Info needed as follows:
1)Name as to be written on check
2)Full address to where the check will be mailed out to
3)Phone # so as to contact you
Looking forward to having your reply and trust.

Warmest regards

Bob<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

This guy just got the nastiest response I have ever sent...

Scott, good question! It appears that access to the #1 hole shown in that drawing might be blocked by the valve/spring. Wouldn't hurt to check that the two holes, #1 and #5, that are shown to be in a K161 are open if you can see in there. Please note the info in that manual excerpt about dropping the oil pan after drilling to clean it out.

Yes if I do drill it out i will be sure to drop the oil pan, i wouldnt want any filings in the motor

My fuel shut off has gone bad on my tank, what is the best type to replace it with? The glass bowls, or the standard metal twist type?

Stopped by Tedd Ill yesterday to pick up some parts. He is changing direction on his cub project and has an interesting trailer project going. I'll let him describe it if he wants to. Good to see you Tedd.

JimE

Scott, May try try pushing a piece of wire into the holes. I had a 12 hp a year ago do the same thing and I used the wire trick and it took care of the problem. The hole was plugged with gunk or a lady bug. May want to check before drilling in case it is something similar.
thumbsup.gif

Glenn,
My 102 has a fuel settling bowl, with a screen on the top to strain larger debris from getting it into the carb. The bowl does a good job of catching water that might get into the gas tank, and keeps it out of the carburetor. An inline paper fuel filter might do a better job than the bowl to catch the smaller stuff, but the bowl will be better than nothing, which is what you get with the petcock. My 129 has just the petcock, I suspect it was purely a cost-saving move on IH's part.

I see several cost-cutting moves that are evident between the 102 and the 129. The petcock is one, the brakes on the 129 are less robust than on the 127, and I'm not sure that either were any better than the internal brake on the 102. I also liked the Ohio Rubber seat on the 102, the conventional vinyl over foam seats that came later were no more comfotable, and seemed less durable than the white rubber seats. That being said, things like the quick-attach brackets, hydrostatic transmissions, and the wider frames on later models were definite plusses, but we did lose a few nice features on the later tractors though that were present on the earlier ones.

I came home from a long day at work and had two surprises.
First, our soon-to-be new house finally has trusses! (and actually looks like a house) About time, they took a long enough break for the huge snowstorm.
49509.jpg

Second, and more important, I had a package on my doorstep courtesy of Kraig McConaughey.
49510.jpg

I felt as happy as the kids look in that picture. I'm just sorry it was the last one.
Thank you Kraig!

Scott-
Maybe this will help.....

I had the exact same thing going on with a 7hp I had here in an Original. (Oil leaking past gov. shaft) Turns out the main breather plate (located under the breather cover) was installed upside-down by the guy that rebuilt the engine for me.

Take a close look at the picture below. See the small pin-hole in the breather plate at the top? (12-O Clock) That pin-hole should be on the bottom to allow excess oil to drain.
(6-0 Clock position)

49514.jpg

As you can see in this picture, this one was installed upside-down causing the entire breather-box to fill with oil and cover the breather-reed assembly. Since air couldn't get out via the breather, it forced it's way out through the gov. shaft.

Once I rotated the breather-plate, all was well.

Hope this helps....

Bryan-
Interesting tag-line. Did you hear this one yet?

"What do trumpet players use for birth-control"?

I'm already working on the 147 I brought home Sunday. I think I like it more than the two CCOs that came home with it (Sorry Charlie). I got some good front tires mounted so it's now a roller.
Question: does anyone have a picture of the correct steering wheel cap for a 147? Thanks!
49518.jpg

Latest posts

Back