• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to keep mine fairly tight, maybe a 1/4" deflection with finger down pressure, Just tight enough to keep the rattle noise down, grin
24868.jpg

24869.jpg

Well crap! I forgot to answer your question, sigh!
Most throwers I've had have about 3/8" end play, that may not be right, but that's what they have and they stay together just fine for me.

Ok, that was great. Its what I like about this place, getting a straight, detailed answer without a bunch of fart-jackin around.
nutbags.gif

Worked on the 72 today till my toes frooze.

To those that have done a complete restoration of a cub, how much paint will it take to do it right? 2 qts yeller, 1 white? Wheels, included, no attachments.

Fart-jackin around?
Just what the hell is that! LOL

It depends on what your paintin Torin. But 2 and 1 will be a good start.

TORIN - You may need a little more yellow depending on how much You paint. But two quarts should get everything You can see!
happy.gif
I mounted the old QA-36 on the 72 yesterday for the first time in 6-8 years....switched from the 23-8.50 'Stones to the Pizza-Cutter 6-12 GY turfs & chains, added a set of 26# weights (to the 65#/wheel already mounted) & cleaned the driveway. Kinda surprised Myself how well the 'Ole Girl threw snow!

Dave, Brian,

I ran across this report recently. The work was done in 1932 and was one of the first in-depth investigations into coil-capacitor ignition systems. It was done basically to validate mathematical theories about how a coil-capacitor system worked, including proving the existence of oscillatory behavior at least two frequencies. They recorded the results on an oscilloscope, at that time it was a "new" instrument and primitive compared to what we have today. Note that they recorded coil waveforms only without the influence of a spark gap. The work is still valid today.

One of the things they spent a lot of time on was to vary the capacitance (including none - which is what happens to a lot of us when the lead breaks) .

When you read how much trouble it was to get photos of the coil performance it really makes you admire the guts and patience of the early experimenters. It makes a great read (for me anyway).

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1932/naca-report-374/

Is fart-jackin a weight or measure like .020 or.20, lol

I really have a hard time with the fact that I am questioned about the definition of fart-jackin by the likes of Charlie!
rolleyes.gif

An no, its not a wight or a measure, but it sure is popular round these parts!

Well, if I am going to paint it right, and cover everything, them maybe I need 3 yeller, and 2 white? Yea, Ill buy that much. Aint goin to waste anyways, and maybe it will taste good, too!
joker.gif

Jim- hooking a coil to a capacitor results in what we (radio electronics types) refer to as a Tank Circuit. To go WAY OT and deep, the Frequency of Oscillation is at the point where Xc matches Xl... and where Ztank at Fo = Zc+Zl+Zr... that was a Tesla thing.

FWIW, the earliest radio transmitters (and yes, before Marconi) were spark-gap based. If you give me a running Kohler, I can use it, and about 500' of wire, to transmit an SOS that can be heard by a 'good' reciever about 700miles away... and if I have a few other pieces of stuff, I can build a reciever that'll HEAR the SOS from about 20 miles away.
headphones.gif

FWIW, spark-gap transmitters are only legal under SOS conditions... so keep a good condenser on hand, and use the right type of plug and plug wire... besides, the engine will run better!

Hey Dave,
All that fancy jargon and equipment! I heard Lucille Ball could pick up the submarine signals in her teeth. Top that!
clappy.gif

BTW,
Still waiting for snow..... It was 80 degrees here yesterday and today. Did I mention I'm in Orlando? How do these Floridians live without something white to push with their blades?

The 109 rides again. Got a handful of parts from a sponsor, added some gas, adjusted a few things, and fired it up. After an oil change, the blade will be back on and ready for snow. Wanted to do more, but didn't have the right size bolts. Another trip to the hardware store....
Anybody have a pic of a mounted spring assist for a wide frame?
147's goin' again, too. Robbed a starter off a rebuildable engine and it fired right up. Fuse is blown for the lights, so I'll start checking the tail light wiring. Probably shorted when I hit the bump.

Terry- Actually, I'm pretty sure that was Gilligan, but it was broadcast stations, and only after he hit his head...

Now if I was stranded on that island... I would'a nixed The Howells, Skipper, and Perfesser... and kept all the S.S. Minnow parts for when I got tired of Ginger and MaryAnn...
pop.gif

Bruce, Let me know if you need a hand. I can stop over one of these evenings.

SUCCESS!

I got my 149 running today. I learned something today that I thought I would share with the group. I've been trying to get my K321 running for a while. A few days ago I solicited suggestions stating I had compression, spark and fuel and it wouldn't fire after running fine. What I found was you need more than just spark you need quality spark. I compared the look of the spark on my 1650 to the 149 and found the 1650 to be brighter. I started checking everything and found that the fit of the wire on the plug was a little loose. I crimped it put it back on the plug and it fired right off and it runs great. In a prior post I mentioned that it ran great but then all of a sudden it wouldn't start, though it didn't dawn on me then, it wouldn't run after I changed the plug wire. I didn't make the connection because I changed the wire but I didn't try to start it until a couple of days later. You learn something new every day. I hope this helps someone else.

Scott

Charlie/Digger,
Thanks for the pics. What I have in a box of parts is a clamp to hook the spring to the rear lift arm and an angled bracket to attach to the rear of the frame. Is this a Brinly part? Maybe I'll just need to make a bracket for the rear anchor. It just looked like it could be useful. Well, at least that's what my right arm said....
Kurt,
Ah, yes, memories of Plow Days past. When I can coax the herd into being more photogenic, maybe they'll be worthy of shooting.
Kevin,
Did you figure out the mystery carburetor? Plus, see below.
Tom,
I think I'm okay. This is the last week before finals, so I won't have much time for a couple of weeks, anyway. Since this week's forecast looks kind of weird, with snow, sleet, and freezing rain, right now the 10 (8? 6? It may even be back up to around 9 HP.) horse is just keeping the 109 going as a backup for snow duty. It is running much better now, after some carb, ignition, and hydro adjustments, than it was at the Prophetstown Plow Day. That sure seems to be hard on an engine. When I get a chance to do a carb rebuild for the 125, that will get some snow stuff on it, then the 109 gets a new/old engine. Maybe 12, maybe 14.
Of course, I do have a pretty clean broken 72 that might be fun to plow with if it had another pile of horsepower....

Latest posts

Back