• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 06, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm well aware of what type of drive a Case system is- I have piles of hydraulic pcs in the barn, have bought many a hydraulic fitting and plumbing components to build 6 of these tractors to date. I did not say anything was hydrostatically driven. If I use the term "hydro" in reference to a transaxle-so be it- I am using it as a reference term in general -just as I used the word "Automatic".I refuse to be 100%politically correct.I would ASSUME that since we have been talking about hyd motors, pumps and valves that one would realize we knew we were dealing with a type of hydraulic driven system. But we all know what happens when one "ASSUMES" now don't we.
Btw- 1965-WH model 875 - the 8hp was way underpowered for the hydro and an attachment. I have collected WH for 15yrs- now back to Cubs......

Robert R.-

Have you ever worked one of your 4x4s? I'd love to see some action pics of one....even just pulling something. Have you ever determined what size push blade a tractor like the one pictured would work? I guess it would be a simple matter of weight/traction. I'm sure it has the power.

Thanks for the pics.

Robert R. I apologize and didn't mean to upset you. I work around the HYDRO systems and more or less don't ASSUME that others automatically will know there is a difference. Some members don't know there is s difference. For fun go into an Ingersoll dealer and start calling thier product a hydrostatic system. The first two prototype Cub Cadet hydros used one each of the two different styles of hydros. The 15U and the one the Wheel Horse decided upon. The Cub Cadet with the Wheel Horse type hydro kept the stock 7 horse power engine in it during testing of both tractors while the other had a Kohler ten horse adopted to it. The Wheel Horse that was made into a hydrostatic propelled prototype sadly wasn't "loved enough" by anyone and when Sunstrand sold the tractors the two prototype hydro Cub Cadets went to two engineers. The ten horse powered one is in the Ames, Iowa plant and the 7 hp hydro Cub Cadet may still be around the Rockford, Illinois area. The Wheel Horse went to salvage. I am blessed to have in my possesion a prototype hydro transmission based on a Wheel Horse transmission that was the basis for a generic style hydrostatic garden tractor transmission. It was too costly at the time so the idea was shelved. Should the company ever decide to re open the museum then it will be restored and put on display there.

Also.... Your Custom cub Cadet is one sharp looking custom. Great job. BTW... Do the Shriners still use the Wheel Horses in parades? I always thought they were cool little tractors. And should you like to meet the gentleman that could probably tell you more about the Wheel horse prototype hydro tractor let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.
219659.gif

OK, Marlin and Robert...I have a hydrostatic Cub(147) and I have seen tractors here that have hydraulic motors at the wheels. Whats the fine points/dividing line that differentiates the two?. <font size="-2">(Not looking to be a PIA here, but it seems that some fur was almost flying here. But I dont know the difference)</font>

Allen S. Nope... no fur flying from either one of us. I tried to reply this morning before hurrying off to work is all. robert R. is a great gentleman and I admire his craftsmanship. Plus I'd love to see his entire collection of tractors. For now the best way to explain this is I cheated and did a Google, difference between hydraulic and hydrostatic propulsion. There are just too many things that tend to get confusing and I must admit that even i get confused with trying to explain. You will experience due to efficiency less horsepower loss with hydraulic versus hydrostatic propulsion though. Here's more reading... Click here and More Info. Finally... Lots more to read up on

Robert R. Wanna step in and try to explain the difference?

OH wow! Gonna have a
beerchug.gif
and go back for more. It seems that the hydrostatic uses a variable pump and hydrauilic uses a fixed flow/pressure pump. The work output(motor) in the first is controlled by varying pump output where the second is controlled by valves(of some sort)in a fixed pressure system.

Marlin- Hydrostat Wh aren't my cup of tea, thus my use of Case components.I currently collect the early era of Pond/Wheelhorse equip-from 1946-1958 all geardrive.
Allen No fur flying at all- I will try to explain -maybe someone can do it better than I because it may not come out understandable!
In a hydrostatic system the drive pump vari's the amount of fluid it propels and the system is closed. The drive pump works in forward and rev directions and it controls the wheelmotor speed. The pump and the wheelmotor can drainback into the system so a Charge pump is added which keeps the circuit full of pressurized oil- this is usually low pressure and is controlled with a relief valve.
In a Hydraulic system the pump maintains a constant flow and feeds Directional control valves of many types( some have reliefs -some don't,flow controls,flow dividers,Priority flow dividers and so on) with steady high pressure with no drainback. All oil flows through a given circuit and back to a resevoir.

Make sense?-Marlin is correct- there are many variables involved in each system.I am slightly better at hydraulics than electronics-which are a nitemare!

Wayne- yes we do use the tractors -though the Cub hasn't been outside since finished. If I can get back to where I have a good puter-hopefully they retrieved my photos from the crash and I will have a couple shots. Nothing major- we burn corn and have a 150 bushell gravity wagon and the 4x4 has come in handy to jockey the wagon into the polebarn. To date they have weighed in from 1,000-1,300 lbs when done. Plenty of weight per axle for traction. Pending engine location(fore-aft position of front axle) I have had to add some weight to rear to stop the "dog-walk"effect if you hit rev real hard at full throttle. Its been a great learning experience making the builds.

I want to thank everyone for the explanations of these systems. As a newbie to hydrostatic tractors, I now have a better understanding of their systems.

KennyP

Robert +Marlin, thanks for taking a few minutes to explain things. I suspect a bunch of members now have a better idea of the basics/terminology of fluid driven systems.

I finally got back on my 4a084 125 project after about 2 years off.
Apparrently I just missed the "Redneck Nationals" at my local dragstrip that included mower drag
racing. They are doing it again in Nov so now I'm motivated to get this thing finished.
This weekend I got the fenders and footrests mounted. I'm still working on a driveshaft and
where to put two batteries (or switch to a 12v starter)
board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back