• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 04, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobaker

displayname
Jay baker
Hi guys. My brother has a 982 he got last year and seems to have run good until recently. First off when he first got the mower when he turned the key sometimes it would not start however, after turning the the key a few times then it would start and engage as it should. Well last week we planned on removing the fuel pum and replacing it with an electric one for better starting ability and more consistency. Before doing so we tried to start it. Sometimes you would hear the click in the solenoid and other times just nothing. So i bridged the wires on the solenoid and tried to start it. It turned over nocley but didnt start. So i replaced the solenoid and jist hoped for the best. Well the 982 still wont start only nakes the click noise. With this said what else whould i check?

Welcome Jay!
groupwave.gif

I have no idea, but I'm sure someone that knows will chime in soon. The 982's are nice machines.

Attachments

• groupwave.gif
    groupwave.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 111
Oh now the gloves are off.
yikes.gif
err.gif
You better not let "Dad" or "Uncle Kraig" see you fighting or there's gonna be trouble.
This is gonna be good.
snacks.gif

Attachments

• yikes.gif
    yikes.gif
    977 bytes · Views: 108
  • err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 108
  • snacks.gif
    snacks.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 107
Thanks Shultzie. The 982 is awesome and i know the problem is probably something simple. I have begun tracing wires to see if that is the problem. Until then i hope to hear some ideas or theories whay it maybe.

Jay, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif
Could be a bad ignition switch or the connector that plugs onto the ignition switch.

EDIT: Nic beat me.
bash.gif
rofl.gif

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    388 bytes · Views: 111
  • bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 106
  • WELCOME.gif
    WELCOME.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 104
  • groupwave.gif
    groupwave.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 110
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

... "Uncle Kraig"...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

roflol.gif

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 110
Cool there pretty inexpensive usually, that being the ignition switch. Does anyone know of a part number for one? If so i can quickly order on and see if that is the issue.

Thanks

Thanks bro. I am going to get with my brother and test the ignition and check the wiring.

Shultzie - looks to me like Dad and Uncle Kraig are the ones scrapping.
roflol.gif

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 103
Hydro,
Yeah, you might be right.
roflol.gif

snacks.gif

Attachments

• snacks.gif
    snacks.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 110
  • roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 105
Charlie, good point.
rant.gif
angel.gif

Attachments

• angel.gif
    angel.gif
    222 bytes · Views: 106
  • rant.gif
    rant.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 110
Art is going to have a field day with the "Uncle Kraig" stuff...
icon_eek.gif
facepalm.gif

Attachments

• facepalm.gif
    facepalm.gif
    898 bytes · Views: 107
  • icon_eek.gif
    icon_eek.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 110
Speaking of Art, he's going to post some 169/1650 data soon.

Amazing what 2 days soaking in vinegar and a few minutes w/a wire wheel can do!!
These are for my 126

301337.jpg

Attachments

• 301337.jpg
    301337.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 301337.jpg
    301337.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 123
Jay,

I would look at the ignition switch and the plug/wiring there. Not sure on the 82 series, but on the Quietlines, it seems like the contacts on the switch like to corrode/rust. We have several Quietlines and I have a 1650 in the garage I am working on and all of them have a crusty ignition switch. Some seem to work fine like this, but we've had a few that have just acted plain weird... Dad's 1650 would crank, but not fire until you released the key to the "run" position...... bad switch..... the 1650 I'm working on, no crank with the key, borrowed one from one of the other quietlines (which was rusty also) and it will now crank with the key. It has other issues that need addressed, but it will at least turn over....

David S - can I assume the axle on the left in your pic was "not" yet soaked? And what type of vinegar did you use?

Back