• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry, Don, and Harry: What you guys are calling an "extra tab" (or tang) is factory from Kohler (Carter). I'm referring to the instructions and diagrams that appear in the Kohler Service Manual for the Kohler Single Cylinder Engines K91, K141, K161, K181, K241, K301, K321, and K341, publication no. TP-2379 in Chapter 6, page 6.9 for the Kohler (Carter) carburetors (the Walbro carb section starts at the top of the 2nd column of the following page 6.10). The instructions clearly state to set the float both for "LEVEL" and "DROP" as shown in the following excerpts (I captured the images, please refer to the manual itself for the appropriate text).

Setting the Float Level:
254679.jpg

Setting the Float Drop:
254680.jpg

As I think I related earlier, I was surprised to find a setting for float "drop" since I had never run into it before, and I was alarmed when I didn't find the tab (or tang) on my float by which I could adjust it. That's when I called Charlie. He provided a new part number (I think it was the original P/N with an added "-S" or something), and when it came I noticed that the whole "hinge" by which it hangs in the bowl had been redesigned. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see how the hinge metal has been formed in the opposite direction, and given a non-circular shape. The "drop tang" originates from a different location, although it's difficult to explain (and you can't see in the picture where the old one broke off). The new, improved design is much more robust.

Side view (marked up)
254681.jpg

Top view (marked up)
254682.jpg

There are those who say that one ought always to replace the float on a carburetor rebuild; and for what the floats cost, it seems like cheap insurance to me. When I button the thing up, I don't want to be going back in there if I can help it.
smile.gif

Those drag link sockets work good also on the big 'ole truss head screws that narrow frame mule drives were attached with...

Jeremiah Chamberlin

That is great info and should be put some where so it can be found again. I did not have a new float here and sure wished I did now. I went through a lot doubting myself in if I put the 125 engine back together correctly.That bad float cost me a lot of time. I will order a few spares from Charlie when I give him another order.Tomorrow will be another shop day when I will finish setting up wot at 3600 and reinstall the point saver.

One thing I do see that puzzles me is a drip of oil that appears to come out of the governor rod and falls down to the top of the point Cover. we have so much snow here that I have asked a friend to sand blast the fenders for the 125. He will do them next week.I have lots of other Cub related work to do to keep me going for the rest of this winter.
ihrotate.gif

Paul B.-

Are you saying there are/were zinc plated head bolts? I've never seen any. I'm assuming they would be silver in color.

Wayne,
All I am saying is that according to the IH Cub Cadet parts manuals, znp or zn-pltd stands for zinc plated. The head bolts could be plated or I suppose the parts manuals could be wrong. When I look at the parts manuals for an engine in a narrow frame it says the bolts are "C-Z" which stands for cadmium or zinc plated according to the P/M.

Well, made a little progress on my k321 today - new governor gear in, cam and crank installed and now I'm wondering about the rod cap screws. From everything I read I believe the new connecting rod is a posi-loc type but the "bag-o-stuff didn't have any nuts in it to fasten the cap on. Does anyone know what I need (nut and lock washer?) and Igbo understand correctly these new rods don't require the former torque/loosen/Re-torque routine. Also, thanks all for your help with the head bolt/stud issue. Was hoping to get the head on today but the rod issue stopped me cold in my tracks.

Harry/Bill,
That makes sense but why would you be checking the oil on the camshaft gear cover when clearly there is a dipstick on the other side of the block. Could that be when camshaft cover dipstick was converted over the the tube though the top of the block dipstick?? As I said, I've never seen that decal on any of my Cub Cadets.

Harry/Bill/Tom I have a 127 that has the same decal. It also says " OIL FILL ONLY" on the top dipstick. This engine has balance gears in it K301

Tom,
That engine will have balance gears in it, so the dipstick is in the cam gear cover. The "dip stick" on the starter generator side is a short one and is basically just a stopper for what is the oil fill tube. The real dipstick is in the cam gear cover, but with the small ID of that tube it would take about "a day and a half" (<font size="-2">not quite that long</font>) to to fill the crankcase, hince the "fake dipstick" on the S/G side.

Latest posts

Back