• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 23, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas Jones

I think I read on here that some have different marks. But you could remove the spark plug and use something like a brass rod to get tdc I would say. Make sense to you?

Here is my bracket right after I removed the coil pins, still attached to a 782 frame section.
221731.jpg

Everyone must be sick like me. The doctor said I was about one day away from having pneunonia. Needless to say, i'm not working at work or at home on my cubs. A 102 temperature is seeing to that. Drat, no work, no cub money!
thumbsdown.gif

Michael,
I fixed a pin hole on my model 70 gas tank last year and used 30/70 tin/lead and tinning butter. If you "tin" the steel first the lead will stick everytime provided that the metal is clean. The tin/lead alloy will remain more workable without going to a liquid state the way that plumbing or electrical solder will. This technique is how the old timers use to "lead" cars and supplies are still available through companies like eastwood. I have used this technique to remove imperfections before powdercoating as plastic fillers are not conductive.

Daniel,
Are you referring to using the tinning butter first to tin the steel?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I would have thought the butter would be used kind of like a flux. I'm no expert, so educate me.

Marty,
Yes, you want to use the butter first. Depending on the vendor it will be called tinning butter or tinning compound. It's tin that is suspended in a flux. What you do is apply it to cold clean steel and then heat it with a torch (propane is more than sufficient). As the metal heats up you will see the tin flow out and turn from a grey paste to a silver color. Wipe off the excess and you will see a noticable differance to where the tin has bonded to the steel as opposed to the surrounding steel. Being text book proper you are suppose to neatralize the acids in the compounds will baking soda after the metal has cooled but I usually dont. If you tin a wire to say splice two together you can "tin" the wire by diping the end of the wire into the compound and heat it with a Bic lighter. If you want better performance from your soldering iron Tin the tip.

I might have a problem with the bolts on the 12 K i`am assembling here.I wanted to make sure I had the correct bolts in there place.I`am ready to install the crankcase brg plate and parts look up says to use a 1/4-20 x 5/8 bolt .I looked all through the bolts I took out and see only 1/2 bolts.Could parts look up be incorrect on the size ??

Back