• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 23, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don-

That doesn't make any sense. The aluminum piston and rod have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than the steel pin, so you are instead shrinking the rod and piston around the pin and making the pin harder to remove.

guys ,it don`t hurt !

http://home.clara.net/captain.norton/cnn3sec35.html

Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:31:13 +0000

While you guys are busy heating your pistons to expand them so the wrist pins will slip in, I am headed for the freezer to pour more margarita mix.

While in the freezer, I pick up my wrist pins. You'll discover that frozen wrist pins slip in as easily as heating the pistons, and are easier to handle. (What's really trick is to spray the pins with liquid assembly lube before you freeze 'em. That way, when you go to do the install, there's already a lubricant film on the pins. No muss, etc.)

Ditto bearings. Yes, heating cases helps, but freezing the bearing at the same time helps even more. (I understand some folks have cans of liquid nitrogen in their shops to aid the freezing/shrinking process. However, this voids the corollary advantage of having an excuse to go to the refrigerator.)

This also helps with really painful little details such as fitting Norton rocker arm spindles. Yes...you still have to heat the head, but the frozen spindle means you don't have to heat the head much, hence you reduce the chance of warping the gasket surface.

Voice from the other room: "Honey, why do you keep opening and closing the refrigerator?" "Why, darling, I'm just checking to see if my wristpins are frozen yet..."

I know I`am old and I have my ways to do things.
stupid.gif

Thanks all. I'll try our local radiator shop. This tractor has spring assist plus hydrolic lift. People are telling me it doesn't need the spring assist. I wonder why it has both. Should I leave the spring assist on? Looks original to the tractor. I could put it on my 105. The rear wheels are JD. Spacers though have the same Federal Yellow as the tractor so I guess came with it.

Don-

That only works if you were to put ONLY the wrist pin in the freezer...read my previous post again.

Matt Gonitzke

I removed the clips and when I take the piston out of the freezer I will take the end of said piston and put it in hot water. Add oil before you freeze them and then just assemble.Does the piston not rotate on the pin ?

And the crank is in the freeze too. Helps to have a freezer in the shop to keep things cool lol.

Don-

Probably, but I doubt that's going to work any better than simply driving the pin out with few light taps from a hammer on a brass rod. They come out fairly easily as it is. There's no need to go through all of those extra things.

I probably should have mentioned before, the info in that link you posted is mostly irrelevant because like Dennis said, these engines have floating wrist pins. They are not like many car pistons in which the pin is pressed into the piston. Something like that would require a procedure like the one in your link; K-series pistons do not.

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
Now if I could get a copper head gasket ,I would take the torch to it before I installed it. Can we buy a copper head gasket for the K`s .

Well on bikes I did that to wrist pins. Just a habit and can`t hurt a thing. I`am going to take the crank out in the am and install it.Thanks Art for that info.I have a few $$$ invested in the 125 with .030 piston and rings , new valves and guides , crank turned and .010 over rod. I did not want to hear any weird noises when I start it lol.

Glad we are takling cub kohler pistons

Due to very tight $$ I am thinking about swaping pistons on a k301.
The good engine was a smoker and the bad engine has a bad rod at the crank end.
so I thought I wood take the piston from the rod problem and swap it with the smoker one.

New rings are not in the budget and if this works or not its only costing me my labor.

Is there a way to tell good rings from bad by eye sight?

what do you think about swapping them

Latest posts

Back