• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782 restoration homework

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I am going to put a drop of Loc-Tite on the threads for the fuel pump to make sure they machine screws they use to mount it do not loosen off - good or bad idea? I was going to use that copper silicone gasket maker for it, but it says not to use on anything that is in contact with gas. Figured it was too close to gas, didn't need it breaking down and falling inside and screwing things up. Any thoughts on that stuff?

Mike I don't know nothing about copper silicone gasket maker, but I would use loctite on screws, just make sure you use the right loctite, I would recommend green, I forget the number, I work at a heavy equipment service shop and that's all we use, you can take it apart in a couple years if you need to without applying heat

I was able to find the gasket stock I was looking for on Sunday. Pretty cheap too for what I got, will last me a life time! I cut out a gasket last night for the fuel pump. Not perfect, but it should work out okay. I added a dab of blue Loc-Tite to the threads of the two large screws used to hold the fuel pump on. Hopefully it will not shake loose like it did before, making a heck of a mess.
283343.jpg

Re-assembled the rest of the engine last night as well as getting it installed into the frame. Yeah, I would have to say I hate the design that IH had for these engines being mounted into the frames. WOW! Certainly need small hands with LONG fingers to get the bolts and nuts installed properly. Crazy! Took me almost 3/4 of an hour to get the 4 bolts in the base of the engine with the spacers, lock washers, and nuts. BUT, they all got tightened down good, unlike when I got the tractor and there was only 3 of the 4 bolts there and all three were loose. No wonder everything looked like it had been shook to death and worn.
283344.jpg

Also installed the grill with the better mesh and lights. Things are not as bent up as the original one. One thing I noticed, the tip of the exhaust is resting against the bars of the lower grill. Tried bending it away and didn't have much luck. Do they normally rest so close to the grill bars? Original grill was melted in two spots. Mind you the engine moving around didn't help matters, but it still seems like an odd set up? I guess I will have to get the tip heated up with torches and bend it a bit to keep it away?
283345.jpg

So if all works out tonight and I don't run out of time, I might get some fuel put into it and fire it up! KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED that it all works! Otherwise, I am going to be ticked!
animatedihbear.gif

Going with the idea that everything works on the start up, I will move some things around in the garage and mount up the blower. I have a new drive belt for it and the speed up pully. Will put a little bit more oil on the chain and give it a grease too. Just have to make a lift rod and a chute rod in order to crank it with. I bought the upper bent brackets from Charlie last year as well for use on the 82 series tractors in hoped I don't take out my grill the first time I lift it!
facepalm.gif

Have to fix my walk behind blower first tonight though, took a bearing out of the main drive on it when using it Sunday. Was reminded how much I HATE shoveling snow after it broke! Yuck!

Finally, I was able to fire up the 782 tonight!!

vroom.gif

It felt really good to hear it run after all this time! Mind you, that sound didn't come without some head scratching either. I had to remove some of the sheilding on the engine to get to the bendix on the starter - it wasn't flying out to crank the engine. DAMN! No I idea how I am going to get those two bottom bolts back into the tin sheilding yet.
angry.gif
Really do not want to pull the engine again!

Took it out for a drive in the snow, that was kinda cool! No pictures from outside, it was too dog on cold. Here is what it looked like after returning from its romp in the snow.
283397.jpg

Brought the blower over to start hooking that up too tonight. I couldn't get the pully off that is on it currently to put on my new "speed up" pully, so I am going to try it with this one.
283398.jpg

The gear box seems to be in good shape, but I had to put in a new bolt on the plate to the left of the box - just put in a hex bolt now until I get a carrige bolt. Have to do some reading, not sure what this plate slides to adjust yet? The nuts between the gear box and the frame, they are spacers I guess, they are loose too. Are these just pins in there or bolts that are loose and need tightening? Complete strip down of the mounting plate is required on this I am assuming?
283399.jpg

I think it was Dennis that was talking on the main forum about the drive shafts being in "sync"? I guess I need to give mine a 1/4 turn?
283400.jpg

Also found out I have to adjust my hydro lever too, I was standing beside the tractor while it was running with the brake pushed down - it was creeping ahead, thos chains hurt when they are clawing at the side of your work boot! I have to pull the lever into the reverse slot to make it stop, not much, but enough that it isn't right.

Either way, its not ready to work yet, but I had fun the little bit I was out in the snow with it. I can't get over the quick response it has on the hydro, my other tractors aren't like that. Heck, it just about spins the tires when I throw it into reverse. Really strange, its a beast!
animatedihbear.gif

Mike, nice progress! The plate that the gearbox on the snowthrower is mounted to has to move up and down for adjusting the drive belt. It should move freely. The gearbox should be bolted up tight to the plate. There should be spacers between the inner plate and the gearbox plate. The inner plate should be tight to the left and right side brackets. The gearbox plate should move freely up and down as the spacers should be sized to fit into the slots on the gearbox plate. Not sure that those nuts should be there between the gearbox and it's mounting plate... someone probably placed them there to adjust the belt alignment with the PTO. Is that a QA36B? Does it have the proper 5/8" drive sheave to match the 5/8" belt/PTO for a 82 series?

283402.jpg

It was Steve B., that was pointing out that the driveshaft yokes should be in phase.

283403.jpg

Mike, here's an exploded view of a QAxxA snowthrower.

283405.jpg

At the risk of being called my usual label (ass)!
It seems that 90% of this thread really belongs on the main forum board!

I just don't see much lately that relates to the subject line.

It actually started out as a "homework" thread, then it turned into a refurbish thread. I'd like to change the title on it honestly to a 782 refurbish - if so, then it would belong in this section would it not? I was kinda hoping for some more input from others throughout the process, that was one reason why I kept adding to it here. I beleive you had suggested at one time long ago to start a thread here instead of in the main forum, but I could be wrong too.
Up to you Charlie, your rules, I'd just like to be able to access it in the future all in one spot.

Thanks for input Kraig, I am going to look into it tonight. I know I have to get a carrige bolt for the plate where I just put in the hex bolt. Want to see what is up with the mounting bolts/spacers for the gear box too.

Mike P

I`am waiting for more pictures and progress on you refurbish of your 782 . I will be in Trenton this spring and might take a side trip .

Here is what it looked like when it went out on its "maiden voyage" to remove snow. It went well that day except for getting stuck in some deep snow after chewing through some ice. Had to get the four wheeler to pull it out, was hung up on the centre of the tractor thanks to about an inch of ice. Little frustrating - but the wife helped me get out.
dunno.gif
Between her and the dog being the cheering crowd.

283727.jpg

I used it the next day for about an hour and was near done blowing snow and well, the bad struck! Started to see a smokey smog in front of me, stoped and opened the hood and the top of the engine was getting VERY oily! So, I drove it around to the garage, the trip around the garage was lots long enough....by the time I got to the front door, I looked back to see a nice trail of oil. Parked it in garage and well, I now have about a quart or two of oil on the floor under the engine! Dog On It! I am HOPING I only blew a seal or gasket on it, but I have not tore into it yet to see. I am guessing I didn't throw a rod since the engine was still running with no noises - right? I hope.

angry.gif

Little bummed out about it, but I think it will be okay when I do get it fixed. Will be worth it, but would have been nice to actually enjoy using it for a while before this happening. So the snow storm we just got the other day had me back to the walk behind to remove the 6 or 7 inches of snow we got. At least I have that as a back up!

Mike P

I was hoping you could tell us how the tri ribs worked ? That engine had a pile of oil over it in your pictures wow it must have had a oil leak for a long time . bummer that it broke down so fast. I know this is just a small set back and you will have her working again soon.

Sorry Don,
Tri-ribs worked good for the time I did get to use the tractor. Obviously they worked better when the blower was lifted off the ground putting more weight on the front end for steering. When the blower was down on the ground, the skid shoes were doing the driving. I kept the skid shoes down a bit to keep the cutting edge off the ground some since my drive and lawn is so uneven. LOTS of traction with the chains and the weights. Think I could handle a few more weights on it too surprisingly. I would need a bit more seat time to give an honest evaluation of the tri-ribs. Leave great "tracks" in the snow though!
biggrin.gif

Mike P--I have been out of the loop for a month now. I've been super busy finishing up several house projects but I'm finally starting to get caught up. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your refurbish thread so far. One suggestion on the engine removal--I have found it much easier to pull the six bolts that connect the engine mount plate to the frame. The hardest bolts to remove are the two that are located above the front axle. However if you lift the front of the tractor just a little and let the front axle pivot from side to side. You can pull the bolts that way fairly easily. Once those six bolts are out and the rest of the "plumbing/electrical" is disconnected, you can slide it forward and lift it right out. It is much easier to remove the plate attached to the engine in one piece than to try to get at all those "hidden" bolts that secure the engine to the plate. With the engine and plate out of the tractor it is much easier to remove and/or install those engine bolts, spacers, nuts, and lock washers. If you look through the pix on the Cubbie thread, you'll see that I usually have the mounting plate attached to the engine.

Regarding the oil leak, I'm hoping that it indeed is a seal. I've had two Kohler twins now that have had leaking main seals. If the flywheel side goes, it will blow oil all over the engine. If it is the PTO side it will typically run down the block behind the PTO to the plate and down. I've also had the gasket between the engine and the oil filter plate leak oil too.

I'm glad you've gotten it together and running. It is too bad that you ran into a leak issue so soon but I can honestly say, I know the feeling. Hang in there though, it will come together soon. You've already made some real positive steps forward.
greenthumb.gif

Back