• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I decided to touch up my engine block on my 128 with some heat proof paint that is rated up to 1200 degrees. When I fired it up today , the paint started smoking. 1. Is this normal when you first put paint on? 2. Could the paint cause the block to overheat? Thanks.

The extra height of the super steer axle using stock 16x6.50 tires makes for a perfect ride with 26" rears.

Watch for implement clearance issues (decks, throwers, blades) when installing larger front and rear tires.....think it all out before you spend your $$$$

darren i have 18x9.50x8 on my 86 fronts i had to cut wheels and add 1/2 in spacer to the spindle to gain clearance and reverse the wheels it looks good i added 1 in lift for fear fenders

235673.jpg

Quote Andrew S. "When I fired it up today , the paint started smoking. 1. Is this normal when you first put paint on? 2. Could the paint cause the block to overheat? Thanks."

Yes, the paint "curing" will smoke around the exhaust primarily. Most don't paint the head as the bare aluminum will run cooler.

Cub Cadet 105 Front axle pin Question:I have some slop in the front axle pivot area,I got the pin out and looking at other pix of pins I don't know how to tell if it is worn or looks normal.Tks for any guidance

I have 26's on my 1200, sidewall says 26x12x12 anyway. I mounted them on 8.5inch rims and they clear quite well, I dont have to trim anything. I like the 16 inch front look. I would post a pic however my phone isnt letting me. And as mr.plow stated I only use that tractor for the sleeve hitch and pullin my trailer around.

So let's see if I got this right... We've got a blind owner/salesman with bulgin' eyes sellin' & buyin' tractor parts and givin' out repair advice to a senile retired Canadian / part time tractor mechanic / part time driver & operator
also taking advice from the transplanted New Englander about belt alignment and wire colors!

Yep, I think that's about right... so I MUST be in the right place!
cubwinker.gif

Mike F - well I think you got that just about right. Some others on here may be unhappy they were left out, but hey, one day they will make the list. You could have mentioned "ole Photo Joe" (Kraig) is helping keep things clear as day. Oh, and another thing, I'm originally from the Dakota Territory, I transplanted to New England, and then to the Left Coast.

Richard L - the pin should look worn, and maybe even have cut areas towards each end close to where it rides in each bushing. Don't confuse those wear areas with the center area that is cut away for the grease. In my view it's really best to replace the pin. I don't think they cost to much, and as long as you go thru "squeezing" the axle channel back back to where it was, then a new pin will probably last you another 20 years.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (especially if they keep moving)

Hydro Harry. My one regret was that when you were in New England the same time as me, We never hooked up at Jim Chabot's garage! When I would go visit Jim, it always seemed to be an opposite weekend than you (and 1 other member from here) I had moved to New Mexico when the 3 of you were rebuilding someones motor...

I too am a transplant, Fort Knox KY, New Bedford MA, Alamogordo NM, Boonville IN, Smithfield RI & back to New Bedford. whew! I did get to hang out with the Pauls while in Indiana, Paul Bell & Paul Funk! Some of my best lifes memories right there! Oh, and Daniel Chestnut & family, more awesome folks! It's a great hobby! Thanks for stirring those memories up!

Thanks Mike, I was just making sure the paint wouldn't make the engine overheat.

And a special "Shout out" to Kraig, Charlie & Bryan! Your dedication and tolerance are equal to few! Thanks Guys for giving us a place to hang out and have some fun!

Okay Harry? Did I do good? I know I'm forgetting Denny and Wyatt and Art A. and.......ahhhh there's to many of them!

Andrew S. No problem! I don't remember seeing your name before so it's good to have you here!

Hydro Harry... I just thought of Kentucky Ken & Jim Steele... but now I think I'm showing my age!

Hydro Harry:Tks for the response re:axle pin.What do I use to Squeeze the axle channel ? Sorry for the probably obvious answer !!

I hope I am not thread jumping again, but I have come up with a serial number and tractor that just is not adding up to me. The Serial number is legible and it reads "2050594U667075". It is on what I believe to be a Quietline. It is gear driven and has a nice 14hp Kohler that looks to be proper even though it should not be in a gear driven tractor. I purchased the tractor mainly for the tilt trailer package it came with but I am now puzzled, to me the number looks like it belongs to a later 82 series tractor. I bought it off a middle aged fellow that said it bought it off of the original owner 5 or so years ago and he was not familiar with Cub's. If anybody would be kind enough to try and decode the number, it would keep me sane. I could email or try to post pics of it if it would help. Thanks in advance for any help. Also, it defenitely has the Quietline dash and all other features.

Can a 1650 or 1450 come with a cast iron rear or a cast iron rear with aluminum axel tubes cause I have both and I wanted to no if that was from IH or did someone switch that.

Tim W.-

That serial number tag belongs to a 782...something odd going on there.

Troy R.-

The later QL tractors and all IH-built 82 series tractors had aluminum axle tubes from the factory.

Thanks for the info Matt. I just sold my 982 and I had a 782 parts tractor that went with it. I knew most of the differences in the two series. This thing has been painted and restored a bit. It definitely has the ISO mounts and is not hard mounted. The plate had been painted over and I cleaned it to read. The paint and restore job looks a few years old but somebody did a good job and used stainless hardware and no overspray. This is strange, somebody must have built this things from a host of parts. I will try to upload pics.

It wouldn't shock me a bit if the owner had a 1000 or something and threw a 14hp in it for more power when the 10hp went bad. That would explain a gear driven 14hp. Now the serial tag is a total mystery. I guess a drill and rivet gun and you could put a different tag on, but they don't get broke off or anything to need replaced and who would care under normal conditions if it did. Now was it repainted? Maybe someone was particular about Cubs like I am during repaints and wanted a good tag on it but got one from a wrong model? It's possible I guess.

Latest posts

Back