Archive through February 19, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, Brendan,
I just did my 1450 last winter, after considering what to use for the Iso mounts, I went with the rubber mounts. Here's why. After the cradle upgrade, I figured I had eliminated the reason that the rubber Iso mounts went bad in the first place.
Secondly, after thinking about the intended use of my tractor will be for long duration activities. And the added stress on the muffler box and other parts such as the dash tower(all these parts had stress cracks). I decided to go with the rubber mounts.
I don't want to have everything else start falling apart just so I can save some money on mounts.
Hopefully, your 1450 will not give you any problems with the solid mounts.
But after reading the posts from Richard Christensen and checking out the Cubfaq regarding this topic, this is what I concluded.
If you need them, I will send you 4 original Iso mounts to use on the bottom and then you can either buy the new OEM mounts or the MOOG ones if you want.
But I would hate to think about having to go back in a little while and see cracks showing up in my sheet metal. Just my .02 cents.
Let Me know if you need the mounts.
E-mail is in my profile.
Brad

Tim. bought a 106 just like that once, when we went to pick it up it was very cold and when we went to load it on the pickup, it wouldn"t roll, The PO said when he parked it it was fine, so when the Kid and I got it home, we pulled the rear cover off and it looked just like that. one thing about restoring Cubs, they sure give you a good laugh sometimes!!!

Kraig, Denny,

This is the result of high tort ional loading on a NF (123). The red indicates fractures through the frame, not much other than the oil pan was holding on the axle. I have no idea what the PO was doing to this tractor.

185688.jpg

The spot welded doubler plates on the inside of the NF rails were an idea that does not really strengthen the front of the NF all that much. The WF rail height , c-channel shape (although minimal on top, that adds a lot of stiffness) and the boxed in end create a stronger front end.

Jim

Check out <font color="0000ff">cubfaq.com </font><font color="000000">#18a and go from there. Have a great weekend! I should be in bed.
biggrin.gif
</font>

Kendell, Jeff, why are you guys suggesting balance gears? Here I am with a chisel in hand ready to break mine apart cuz people think they shred apart and destroy engines! Please help me make up my mind! Thanks.

B Johnson take them out I was being funny and that is why I could only offer 1 when you get yours out you also will have 1 to offer
bouncy.gif

Bjohnson - hold on to your chisel. Kendell and Jeff are just stirring the pot.

LOL..you guys can keep your gears, I think I have 4 here that are complete...but there not so good.

Brad...I do have a set of uppers that I think are still in good shape, thanks anyhow, just not sure I want to put rubber back in. I'll give it some serious thought even though the rest didn't have them...

We do not need to discuss balance gears but my Quick .02cents.
I have 3 cub motors most likely with balance gears. I recently removed a set from a forth cub my first time doing this. The reason I took them out was I opened the engine for inspection and figured I didnt have any thing to loose. this cub was a rescue I know it sat in a field for 2 years before i got it so I never felt it run. But on a good note I drove it out of the cub barn for the first time today. So it lives for now and ill give it some fine tuning...

Brad R - I agree with your logic in putting the rubber iso-mounts back in. I didn't mention that I also did the rail modification on the 1250 where I put rubber mounts back. The 1450 I used solid mounts in was in such bad shape I figured I had nothing to lose. Of course, now that I've repaired the damage that resulted from the old worn out iso-mounts and have the engine mounted solid, it'll be a good experiment to see what, or how much, damage may result from the solid mounts. Like I said, at wide open throttle the difference is negligible to me.

Brendan - I didn't do the cradle/rail modification on the 1450. I figured the solid mounts wouldn't allow the wear, so the extra strength of the modification wouldn't be necessary. I guess time will tell if they wear out in the next 30 years - I may have to rethink my strategy if they fail... of course I'll be 85 by then!

Lucas J.,
As editor & co-owner of the Cadet Connection magazine I would answer your question by drawing a similarity to the post someone made earlier picturing a Cub Cadet with a snow blower next to a full-size JD with a blade and asking which one could move more snow...your question is an apples to oranges comparison.
Let me start by saying that Brandon Pfeiffer, the owner of LAGC, I consider a friend of mine. He has been a subscriber to the Cadet Connection himself since we started back in 2001. He has started himself a very nice garden tractor magazine of very high quality, which I myself am a subscriber too and enjoy very much.
For our part, my brother and I both work full-time jobs in other fields and publish the Cadet Connection magazine as a hobby. My two brothers and I started what was the Cadet Connection newsletter 9 years ago because we felt there wasn't enough coverage in a print media of the Cub Cadet tractors we grew up with and enjoy very much. Our publication, which evolved into the magazine it is now, solely covers the Cub Cadet line of power equipment from 1961 to present, and as such we only publish quarterly. Whereas the LAGC covers all brands of garden tractors, is much larger, full color, and is published bi-monthly.
I try to absorb/obtain as much information about Cub Cadets as possible, so any magazine that might have some coverage of them, I subscribe too. We were happy when Brandon started his magazine a few years ago because the more coverage about Cub Cadets the better, and that can only help the hobby as a whole. We have tried very hard over the years to provide alot of information to our readers about these machines and feature alot of restoration stories while at the same time trying very hard to walk a fine line between a quality product and keeping our price very affordable. Having been in this business for 9 years I can say with all certainty, that we could not have the size, quality, or publish as often as the LAGC, and only cover Cub Cadets, it simply isn't feasible. But we're ok with that because this is just a hobby for us, it was never our intention to make a living at it, we just love Cub Cadets and enjoy the opportunity to pass along information about them.
The LAGC is a great magazine and Brandon has done a super job with it, he published a very nice story I wrote about my family and I last summer in the July/Aug edition and I am very grateful to him for that which also helped promote the Cadet Connection magazine at the same time.
So in summary, both magazines serve they're purpose and are quality products, which is better really only applies to a situation where your examining an apples to apples scenario, in other words, a comparable product, which like the Cub Cadet vs. JD analogy I started with, this is clearly not. I'll close by saying, I highly recommend a subscription to both!

Kendell - I dig the way you "stir things up" and then just sit back and watch.

<font size="-2"><font color="0000ff">You could put balance gears in that 1450 if it shakes too much...</font></font>

clappy.gif

Kendell, Greg used the word "dig" which means he really "liked" what you did. <font size="-2">this public assistance anouncment was brought to you by AARP.</font>

Greg:
There's always got to be a minority opinion....
coffee.gif

<font size="-2">Like....his use of the term "dig" is "cool", man..</font>
old.gif

Brian,I agree and subscribe to both but get good techecnial info from your mag.

Latest posts

Back