• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a source for the thick stick on foam seal between the firewall and engine shroud on a QL??

Checked McMaster Carr on-line cat and all they have is 3/8" or thinner.

Got the new home-made muffler on the 1000 yesterday and it really sounds great. Kind of a mellow sound like you would expect from a well muffled motor cycle and not tinny or crackling loud.

DAVE - Check with some local auto body shops, the auto industry used a LOT of foam seals with pressure sensitive adhesive in all kinds of places in cars the last 20-30 yrs. They might even have rolls of foam and would sell you some.

Ok,so im reading back and seen Charlies post.....Charlie,dont hold back now say what ya are really thinking....LOL BTW did you get some chocolate yesterday? Chocolate aways makes things better ;)

I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day yesterday....I know I did,I got a dozen roses and some chocolate and had a wonderful dinner with my guy.
happy.gif

Im ready for some seat time again today,we got another 4" yesterday and another 3" fell last night so im off to clean the driveway and sidewalks
happy.gif

Dennis F- I was unaware that Firestone [Akron, Ohio] no longer produces tires in the States for our IH Cub Cadets. My Carlisle Tru-Powers are made here, in the States [Middlefield, Ohio formally]. Secondly, about the automotive industry and Firestone complaint which I remember happened in 2000 with the famous Ford Explorer. To add insult to injury, Firestone argued in court about their manufacture's recommended tire pressure, verses the automotive manufacture's recommended tire inflation. I was surprised you did not make mention of this in your post. That really put out the fire for Firestone. In N.E Ohio, there are many auto manufacturing facilities, so the news was wide-spread, and lots of worries about Firestone tires in general, which was nationally a concern. Similar to how Toyota lost it's number one title to "largest auto manufacture", to GM. I have not bought any Firestone since, and probably won't either, and believe you when you say what you use today are quite well.

As for a pulling tire when it comes to using an IH Cub Cadet, I know little about the sport and have zero reason to doubt anyone of you regarding your comments and opinions about tires. I do know, however, that the wider the lug on that ag tire, the less traction you will produce. I enjoy pulling, and watching. The stock model 71 with original GY 23 x 8.5 GY turf including 50# wheel weights per side, pulling a new transfer sled in the 10hp.& under/850 class yielded 84 feet running in first gear! Though I'm on the purest side when it comes to these garden tractors.

Hey John, want to guess which tire has the wider lug, therefore producing less "bite"?

Carlise!

It also has less "angle of attack" on the lug. Firestones are actually curved to increase that angle as you get to the beads.

Look at that pic of Paul's 1250. Those lugs are nearly 45 degrees from the width of the tire. Although, they are not try-powers. That's why 'Stones are called "23* floation tires". Cause of the acute angle and wide contact patch.

Edit: when you pulled with the GY's, did you sin out or kill the engine to stop? If you had enough bite, you'll bog the engine. Of course, track conditions pay a huge roll in the assessment.

Joel: That's the first "deluxe seat" I've seen done just that way. Is there a "rest of the story"?
happy.gif

Nic- That's interesting, I will make note what the guys run locally for Buckeye. I whole-heartily believe you about your preference to the Firestone: garden tractor pulling. Just about as many guys show up on a Saturday morning for the pulling competition/entertainment as do pullers who are more evolved, and serious about the fun. Last year was a break, so no one was pulling. I can say I missed the idea of those who use a 'ol cub for pulling and farm work, verses those who pull for real! Furthermore, did I miss your point about Carlisle Tru-Power ag being less aggressive than those of Firestone brand which you have been most successful with on the track, respectably.

I worked on the 1650 all day. I took the throttle cable ass. off and put a new wire in it which was not too bad taking it out but what a pita putting it back in. Then I took the back wheels off and put studs on the axles so I could install some spacers that I got from Charlie to keep my chains from rubbing the inner fenders. Does it look like there's enough room now? And thank you Charlie for the parts, those spacers slipped on the studs with absolutely no play. Perfect fit.

283696.jpg

283697.jpg

283698.jpg

283699.jpg

283700.jpg

Just wanted to say that a 2 hour drive in towards Chicago to meet fellow members Tom Hoffman and Mike Masheris turned out to have a great load of Cub Cadet stuff in the back of my truck coming home! Two great guys that would have never met without this Forum.
ihrotate.gif

Back