• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhinds

displayname
Luther Ray Hinds
Bill J. I use my cubs for everything from plowing to mowing. As A all around tire for the tractors I would go with the 850s.

New "Firestones" are all made in china on Firestone copy molds.......Last ones I saw were not the same quality as the old ones, split and checked sidewalls within short time....just my observations.

If I had to run 8.50 = Firestone 23 deg (provided they were an older set) or Carlisle Tru-Power

I would prefer 10.50 size, and would pick Tru-Power as first choice based on personal use/experience and the fact that new Stones in 10.50 are not the same tires as the old 8.50's.

My real working tractors now wear 26x12x12 Tru-powers, mainly for the ground clearance plowing, fluid weight carrying capacity, and contact patch. I have grown to prefer 26" rubber over the 23" sizes in all widths.

I find it interesting how many people pick Tru-Powers over even the new Miller Firestones (in both 23 and 26in sizes). We have done extensive testing of all 4 tires and the Firestones consistently pull further than the Carlisles. And I'm talking feet further. All tested on the same tractor, same sled, and same prepared track. Just switch tires and pull again.

In fact I sold all my Tru-powers because they were a clear disadvantage. Now of course I run Pro Pulling tires (vogels) but for a work tractor, it's Firestones All day long.

the only Carlise tire that ever came close to the Firestones are the Carlise Super Lugs which are NLA. I have 2 sets of those and can still beat tractors with pro pulling tires.

I came back to the forum today after being gone for a long dang time and it seems to be falling apart. Kinda like my Cubs did. My world, things fell apart not by my choice. Now that I have them and myself back together. I thought I'd come back here. This place was a great resource and sense of community when the tractors were running. They are again and now working to earn their keep. Charlie don't shut the doors. I know its hard sometimes, however there is no other place like this for Cub Cadet fans and those us that love to hear them work!

I did get seat time today working on drifts, man was it packed hard. Ready for it to end...

I am going to get the hydro lift installed this spring on the 169. I do have all the parts, what is holding me up is the missing bushing on the tower for the hydro lift lever.
So change the tower or weld a bushing,,,

Jeff,
it takes a bit of reworking of the cub to get those tires to fit and tractor to set level.
They add ground speed and clearance, but make the tractor a danger to use on anything but flat ground.

I'm not going to buy in that Carlisle Try Powers suck, sorry. There are way too many variables which come into play, whether it is pulling, or for lawn and garden use. I've seen guys at the track run old, worn-out cut turf tires, which were doing quite well. I've got a new set of Carlisle Tru-Powers 6-12's waiting to be mounted.
After the big Firestone problem in the automotive industry, I lost any taste for the company, though I love the old FS zig-zag tread tires!
To each their own, however!

Ags on a 1450,,,very cool, post some pics if you do it

John,

They only suck compared to Firestones. They sure beat the pants off the no-name off-brand at tires. Heck, Tru-powers are better than the 26x12 Deman Ditch Diggers I have on my super.

So sure they don't suck overall, they just suck when compared to a superior tire.

Now don't bring up that whole Firestone blow out thing from years ago. That's apples and potatoes (yes not even both fruit they are so far separated). The Firestones we are using aren't even made by Firestone. Miller just has rights to the tread pattern. So if you want to toss a better tire out cause of some media hype... I've got a bridge to sell ya. It's near NYC, and it's cheap.

Jeff Baker,
Here is a pic of my 1250 with ag's installed. Thank you Rick.
283670.jpg

Thanks everyone for your ag tire comments!

I struggled in the snow we had on Thursday with the 1650. It has turf and 2 link chains and around 50 lbs on each wheel. See my off topic post on Wheelhorse for more info on the storm and snow blowing pics - but the 1650 struggled to get traction in both grass, gravel and pavement. After I cleared 90% of the snow with the other color tractor's blower, I finished the job with the 1650. I've read about "ramming" speed - that was necessary many times!

Also had trouble with snow not wanting to curl and roll off the blade. Probably need to put a high gloss paint on the blade to make it more slickery.

Quick question - how far below grade should the blade drop? Mine seems like it barely drops below grade.

Here are a few pics.

283675.jpg

283676.jpg

283677.jpg

Love those hoods by extreme motorworks, I been working lot of ot lately and have not been able to check in daily, whoever said the older you get the quicker time goes buy was right, thought I would say this for what it's worth, couple years ago we lost are home in a fire, family and pets were ok, losing are home was horrible, but dealing with insurance was worse, not sure what Charlie is going through but for me it was about like getting kicked in the nuts everyday for about 2 years, every single little thing was a fight with them, it is easy to sit back away from situation and think everything is great, it will get better eventually, but it don't happen over night

Paul F,

Nice looking 1250! Nice looking tires, too. I need to find a set of ags for my 1250 Nightmare someday, just to have them.

One thing I have noticed. The IH sticker on the rear of your tractor is a bit off center. Mine is that way, too. I have seen other Quietlines where the IH decal is placed a bit off center. Trivial, I know; but was there a reason that IH did that in the decal process, and is this something that should be followed if one repaints a tractor and re-decals it?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Brian Wittman

Brian,

The rear decal on my 1000 is 1/2" off-center to the left. I hadn't noticed that after using it since the mid 1980's. I haven't seen it in years and had it shipped to me in January. It was one of the first things I noticed.

Can you guys tell me what size Firestone tires you are using? I tried using the size of the stock tires on my 1450 in the tire sizing page at Firestone and they didn't come up.

This is the first time I have bought tires for a CC. The 1000 has original tires and so does the 1450 I bought a month ago. The front tires on the 1000 are worn and will need replacement soon. All 4 on the 1450 are in bad shape and need replacement before I use it too much.

I want to use the 1000 for mowing and the 1450 for tilling. I'll leave the turf tires on the 1000 and I want to put ag rears and tri-rib fronts on the 1450. Any suggestions on what sizes and where to get these tires is appreciated.

Bob Elliott

STEVE B. - Too bad about the "New Firestone's" not weathering well. That's a complaint I've heard about LOTS of molded rubber parts the last few years. Like molded rubber OEM tie rod end boots on big ag tractors that lasted 30+ yrs, and when the tractor is restored, and new imported OEM boots installed, they crack in less than a year and fall off.

The 23-8.50 'Stones on my 72 were some of the "Next-to-last" run Firestone made, when I ordered them just weeks before PD #1, there were THREE tires left in the HUGE Firestone '79th Street warehouse in Chicago. And there was one more run made after that, I saw a post here years ago somebody bought a new pair of them after I did and long before Miller had molds, not sure how many they made, maybe 100? Maybe 1000? maybe ten? Don't know and Any of the contacts I used to have @ Firestone retired LONG ago.

JOHN L. - WHICH big Firestone Auto tire problem? There's been several. One of the first was the Firestone 500 recall back in 1978, ten Million tires recalled. then the Firestone/Ford Exploder fiasco in 2000 with six million tires recalled. And there's been other issues. And also issues with almost all other brands of tires as well. Some were definitely defective tires, some poor maintenance, or vehicle over-loading.

I've had tires on F150's of the same model as the problem tires on the Explorer's, just the proper size for the F150, and had excellent service from them, had Firestone SteelTex radials on my current pickup that were also recalled, but mine lasted 95,000 miles before I replaced them with Firestone Wilderness A/T's, which lasted 127,000 miles. Yes, I'm easy on tires, and monitor their condition frequently, and adjust inflation pressure in relation to anticipated loads I'm hauling, that's why I get 3-4 times the typical tread life from them. Right now, I have Firestone's on the wife's car, & Bridgestone (new owner of Firestone since 1988) on my car & truck, only TWO 4.00/4.80X8 GY tires left here, frt ties on my #72, and they're a decade past needing replaced due to weather checking and deterioration, but they still hold air after being patched numerous times.

Worst tires I've EVER had? Set of four Good Year Aqua-Tred tires on a '93 Lincoln Continental, bought the car used with them on with only 4-5 thousands miles on the tires. After owning the car only a year, driving on a trip on the Interstate running 65-70 MPH, pulled into a motel 400 miles from home, carried our luggage into the room, returned to the car to go eat and the right frt tire was FLAT. Replaced the tire, drove home and went to visit my friendly local GY store. Since I was not the original buyer of the tires they did not want to warranty them. Then they wanted to only replace three of the four after finding breaks in the tire casings of only three tires. I'm getting more aggravated all the time, they finally agree to put four new Aqua-Tred II tires on the car for just the cost of mounting them. While I sat in the tire store show room for TWO hours, two more people came in with the SAME problem with the SAME Aqua-Tred tires. You never hear of THAT little problem!

Then there was the GY Gator Back tire, factory equipment on Ford Mustang GT's & T-Birds, 140+ MPH capable cars... wife blew out the left rear tire one morning a block from our house doing 25 MPH. We did "walk the street" and found a small piece of steel that was probably kicked up by the frt tire and just grazed the sidewall of the rear tire which caused the blow-out, but the HASSLE the local GY stores (all owned & managed by the same person) was unbelievable. They had a FULL page newspaper ad for their Grand-Opening of a new store sale with my tire 25% off that they would not honor on one tire. After threatening to contact the local Better Business Bureau and going to Farm & Fleet for four new tires for less than they wanted to charge me for ONE tire, they saw things my way. I did NOT appreciate the arrogance of their sales force, was not the first or last time I had issues with that chain of GY stores. Since that time I've bought exactly TWO new GY tires, two frt tires to match the two rear tires on a FWD Chevy Lumina sedan that had 62,000 miles on it. Never rotated tires, frt were wore out, rears looked like new. When I traded the car @ 80,000 miles the salesman allowed more for the car because it had, "Four new tires". I didn't argue with him, that car stickered for $27,000, and 50 months & 80,000 miles later he was allowing us a Whole $5000 in trade on a new $37,000 SUV. Last GM car I'll ever own, would have been cheaper for me to Rent a car from Avis or Hertz than drive that tin can!

So yes, I can understand having a "Bad taste in your mouth" about problems with a certain brand, but you have to "pick your brands" carefully now, they ALL have problems, some just get much more publicity than others. Just depends on if the recalls are announced on a "slow news day" and get hyped more than recalls on busy news days.

On all the ag related and L&G boards I visit, without a doubt, Firestone ag tires are recommended as being the best in pulling power/traction, durability, and quality. The ONLY tire that comes close is Michelin radials, and they're MUCH more expensive, like 35% more than a comparable Firestone. And Michelin does not have a "Mean Machine".

BOB E. - Firesone no longer makes L&G tires, have to go here, http://www.millertire.com/

And like Steve B said, they're imitation Firestones, made with molds exactly like Firestone used with Firestone approval, but made off-shore from imported rubber compounds.

Your 1450 probably has 23-10.50X12's on the rear, 16-6.50X8's on the frt. 1000 probably has 16-6.50X8's on the frt & 23-8.50X12, or 23-10.50X12 on the rear.

125 gets a little tlc,

283685.jpg

283686.jpg

283687.jpg

283688.jpg

Sorry about bad lighting and crappy pic, technology
bash.gif

Back