• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 13, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VINCE - The Original & 70/100 had the slow 16T 3.1 MPH 2nd, the 71/1X2/123, 72/1X4/1X5, 73/1X6/1X7 all had the 19T 3.9 MPH 2nd, and the WF's all had the 17T 3.5 MPH 2nd.

There's maybe some leeway in those because I seem to remember the changes were done as a rolling change during a certain model run. My info was from the 2nd gear MPH spec's in the manuals shown in the manuals here in this forum.

Harry , I`am still fighting with timming on my 125 engine.Acording to Kirk engines directions on timming . I get a back fire out of the carb. He says to set points to break at the s mark and the engine should be timmed. At that setting I get a back fire out of the carb
angry.gif
bash.gif

I did pull the high speed jet and found no dirt .

Dennis F, Vincent T & Jeff B - great info on the creeper. I think I'll save my hard earned $$$'s and use them on a spring assist and a rear lift instead of a creeper.

Won't have any of my IHCC's ready for plowing this Spring, but will exercise the moldboard with another color machine while I'm working the Cubs in the shop.

Under edit: Quick question - Do you feel narrow, 6 x 12 ag tires are better at moldboard plowing than wider tires like 8.5 x 12 or 10.5 x 12 ags? I'm thinking the narrower tire would concentrate more weight on a smaller traction patch and also fit in the furrow better - able to reach/touch the tread on solid ground vs being potentially held-up by not fitting fully into the bottom of the furrow. Anyone use turf tires and chains for moldboard plowing vs ag tires? Any thoughts on that?

Vince, Dennis: Paul Bell pegged the gear ratio changes to S/N on an earlier post:

By Paul Bell (Pbell) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:54 pm:
Troy R,
Cub Cadets from the beginning to serial number 96765 (70/100 from serial # 65458 to 96765) had a 16/36 tooth 2nd gear set (or 2nd speed as IH liked to call it). From serial # 96766 up to the wide frame models (86/108/128) they had a 19/33 tooth 2nd gear set, and the wide frames and later had a 17/35 tooth 2nd gear set.

BILL - I've probably plowed more with my CC 72 with the 6-12 turf tires and NO chanins than I have with my 23-8.50 Firestones. I used to plow my Sister-in-law's two BIG gardens and my Dad's good sized garden every fall for several years. Chains really help. With the 6-12 turfs I'd spin-out on a rotten tomato.

The size of tire really doesn't mean that much. We used to squeeze 18.4" wide tires into a 14 inch furrow with big tractors. I've plowed with my 26-12.00X12's in 10 inch furrows. No matter how wide or narrow of tires you run the land tire will ALWAYS have less traction than the furrow tire. The last furrow plowed will pack down where the furrow tire runs over it. You have to plow with some speed to throw the dirt far enough to cover that tire track.

Study the pic's of tractors plowing and you'll notice two things. Most people are sitting with their left cheek hanging off the seat to bias the weight of the leaning tractor to the land rear wheel, or they're running an extra 25 or 50# of weight, or maybe a dual wheel on the land wheel.

Steve B. , "Mr. PLOW" is schooling some people on another forum right now on the proper set-up of a plow and tractor. It's ALL about how the plow is set-up as to how good a job they do plowing and how easy or hard they pull. It's not hard, just takes some time when you first start plowing to make the adjustments.

To someone who knows . A back fire through the carb starting a cub engine I think tells me the timing is to far advanced (correct) ? . I think tonight I will pull the 125 out and remove the base pan to make sure the crank cam trimming is correct. I`am lost as to what could be wrong.When I bought the 125 it had no head on it and had a deep scratch in the bore. So I had it bored out to remove that scratch. I now have more questions than answers.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Bill, Chains and turfs work great for plowing. And normally a narrower will work better for traction in the furrow. Example is if you have a 10" plow you should use no bigger than a 8.5" rear tire. However I've plowed with 6" ags, 10.5" ags and they all work. The land wheel is the one that will spin more, or loose traction first. If you have wheel weights a common thought is to put one on the furrow or right side wheel and 2 or 3 on the land side or left side wheel.

Don T - ok, well it seems I was wrong about the fuel delivery since you're back to backfiring again. Based on everything else you've done, and it seems you've gone over all these things at least twice, I think you're left with no choice but to see if you lined the cam/crank up correctly. It sure sounds/acts like it is out of time but it reads like it is in time - so it must be the cam. It probably starts because you've got everything in "like new" condition, but it won't throttle up because it goes way out of time. It's got to be the cam. (I wish one of the wiz/bang engine experts would pipe in here. I'm such a novice and way over my head with this stuff. I just know something about a mark on the cam that is supposed to be aligned with something on the crank, or vice versa, but there is a pic in the manual.)

Bill J - gol dang it, get the Creeper. They are hard to come by. It's a necessity if you're gonna be pulling out any tree stumps or fence posts. It's like having an extra set of hands for some jobs. You can put the tractor to work while you assist it. It's like getting 4-wheel drive in your vehicle. If you get it you know you got it and if you need it then it's there to use. If you don't get it and need it, well, then you wished you had it. And for what it's worth - get the dang spring assist to. These are all the little goody items.

Bill J., the creeper is a good option, but you can live without it. I actually use mine more in the summer! I toss it in whenever I go along the fence lines (both sides of a corner lot with grass sidewalks) and I can get the edge of the deck lightly against the fence and then skip the edging for a couple weeks. It is also handy for tossin' snow but it depends on the depth of snow. In a light snow, under 6 - 8 inches, I just use first. But for this most recent snow, 30" or so.., I kept the creeper in constantly!

Hope it helps. Mike

Latest posts

Back