• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 12, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DAVE - I've heard on the local news that snow blowers do a good job with fingers & toes too!

LUCAS - Nice 122. Looks like a KEEPER! Did You get a mower, blade, anything to go with it?

has anyone swaped front axels from a 982 onto a 782? thinking the 982 is wider and would give more stabilty and more big tractor look

Frank C

Thanks for the side pannels for my 149. I installed them this am. Later Don T
185440.jpg

Roger D.

It will physically fit, but the steering design is completely different. The 982 uses a bell crank on the front axle with a steering drag link that crosses under from the steering gear to the bell crank.....you would likely need the 982 steering gear and axle and all of the steering linkages.

...AND, your front attachments (blade, thrower, etc.) will not clear the forward swept 982 axle, and will end up 2" off of the ground.

Might be better to fing a Super Steer axle off of an 1864 instead. That's what I did to mine. raises the front abotu 1-1/2" to match the 26" rear rubber and turns on a dime!!!!

well the PO had some fun with tape here.I have to take this apart and check it out for sure. later Don T
185443.jpg

Don, I see the broken fender support rod in the lower right corner of that photo. Ouch!
bash.gif
Could that be an under sized bearing and the tape is there to keep it tight in the bearing retainers?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig M
I have what I think is a new bearing here and its the same size.Is the bearing made to have a locking collar on it also. I have posted what Charlie sent me a wile back and just can`t remember if I got the right things here. I took the bolts out with my fingers it was that loose. wow I hate po work that allways needs me to have another look at everything on the Cubs I buy. Later Don T
(does it look right to you Kraig )
185446.jpg

ROGER D. - I have to agree with Steve B. A 982 frt axle is a Beast all to it's own. I'd say it's twice as beefy as a NF frt axle. Steering mechanism is totally different, even from other SGT's. Easiest way to install it would be to convert to P/S.

The "Super-Steer" axle Steve mentions is a great upgrade. Splined steering arms, 1" spindles, MUCH tighter turning circle, stronger axle, and it's a "Bolt-on".

Don, it should have a locking collar. I see one thing that may explain the tape, note the NLA part highlighted in yellow. OR if the PO had one retainer on each side of the clutch support bracket assembly the bearing would be loose, they should both be on the front side.

185448.jpg

185449.jpg

Don, it should be assembled like this with both of the bearing retainers on the front of the clutch support bracket assembly, note that the locking collar was not yet installed in this photo.

185451.jpg

Roger,

185453.jpg

Super Steer and PS install on my 782. With 16x6.50 fronts and the 26" rear rubber it sits nice and level.

Kraig M
You hit the nail on the head there, It was not installed correctly as the retainers were on both sides of the support assembly. So that why the tape.The clutch worked good but was a little out of adjustment.There was no space there between brake and clutch. I just have to clean this up and it will be good to go . Thanks A bunch. later Don T

charie, what size/brand tires do you have on the front that 169?

Those are GoodYear Soft Trac tires...factory std for 82 series Cadets

Kraig M

I guess I will have to put an add in the wanted section for the arm or rebuild it. Did I say the PO liked washers lol. Later Don
185460.jpg

185461.jpg

hay thanks you guys i fig one of you would have knownit would work, wasnt sure if i could just use the 928 drag link and tie rods but the 1864 sounds like a better option but is the 1864 a power steering?

Latest posts

Back