• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 06, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank C

yep btd t them are as good as you can get . I know we are looking for better than that.Just because we know they are better than most. I`am so happy to say good working cubs are a normal wish . I can plan my day basted on what I think my Cub`s can do.
and I like to work them .

Sorry Don T. Maybe a few pics will calm you down!
Refurbing this 122 for a Buddy. Have a few more on the list after this one, but its definitely taking more time than I originally thought, This one had a few gremlins hiding away inside. Gotta finish the fuel system, and get the new tires on the new painted rims.
293943.jpg

293944.jpg

Oh and FYI Dave S. your parts are already in Iowa, He wanted to meet up with you and he says he knows exactly where you live (stalker!!)

John Boelens

Thank You !!!! you have made a few cubs come back to something to be proud of.
greenthumb.gif

I have a lot of slop in the front wheels of my original. I have new bushings but before I put them in I need some advice on my spindles. They are worn on the bottom side and even with new bushings they will still have a fair amount of slop. Trying to avoid buying knuckles. The knuckles are pretty simple. Any advice on what can be done to repair the existing spindle? Or maybe tips on making new ones?

Jason,
I've rebuilt many spindles by welding up the low (worn) areas and then grinding / filing back to size.
It has to be done with care and takes some time, but good results are possible.
It is best to weld and rework small passes so that there is always good reference (unwelded) material to work back from.
You'll need a welder, file, and calipers + patience.

I also make use of some stainless steel shim stock to tighten up the fit here and there.

Thanks for the advice Rick. ive got everything I need....patience are questionable..

I'll add that using a good bushing and some Dykem high spot blue will help identify the areas that need to be ground down.

The size has to be close before moving to this step but is a useful guide.
Coat the inside of a good bushing with bluing and if you get the bushing just barely slid over the tight spots, they will now be clearly marked with blue dye.

File only these dye-marked areas, repeat, repeat, repeat....until the fit is good and it the spindle is true.

I have done a few with brazing rod that way works well.

Jason, If you don't want to weld them back up and grind them, you can cut it off and weld a new piece of round steel the size you need.I'v done that several spindles that way and have had great success from it so far.You can drill out the center out and tread it or you can leave it a little longer like 61 cubs, and put a locking collar on it.

Latest posts

Back