• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 02, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was 68 deg. here the other day, now the temp hasn't gotten above 20 deg. the past two days, with snow & ice, and we've had rolling blackouts. Guess the Packers & the Steelers brought the cold weather down with them!

Sorry about the picture Charlie.....

Marlin, that's the 1450! So far, it's been reliable. Prior to this winter, I did have to put on a new coil, and the voltage regulater from a parts tractor. Now she charges unless the PTO is on.

It's amazing how so simple an electrical system can cause such big headaces.

Steve T.
Not a problem man, just resize'um a little smaller. That way I don't get emails tellin me to go fix things.
clappy.gif

I finally got around to plowing out my unplowed (actually plowed in) front sidewalk with the 102 this afternoon. Yesterday I gave it a bit of an attempt, but gale force winds forced me to retreat to the garage. Today was colder but calm, but the soggy, rain soaked wet snow that was left over from last week turned to an icy mess, but it was crunchy enough to move, given enough force. 3rd gear "ramming speed" runs at the snow banks eventually cleared the previously piled up snow enough to have at the sidewalk. I'm surprised the clutch is taking the abuse, but I got plans to replace the clutch when the weather breaks, I want to try my hand at plowing the garden with it, and I'm looking at beefing things up a bit when I do. I think I'll run it by the the pullers side of the forum for more specific advice though.

I am getting ready to purchase an 125 w/snow thrower. any pointers on what to look for on it for issues. serial number comes up as 68. appreciate any pointers as for this is only my second cadet. tim

Tim,
The 125 is a narrow frame tractor with a quick attach, which should let you use either the old style CC or QA series snow blowers. I would evaluate it like like any other Cub, but the narrow frame Hydros can be a pain if you need to work on the drive train or hydro linkage, unless you can pick up the whole tractor. You'll need strong arms to lift a blower though, as 125s generally didn't have lifts. Nonetheless, a 125 hydro is better suited to snow blower duty than a gear drive, as you often have to inch your way along through drifts and snow banks. You'll be riding the clutch constantly with a gear drive Cub.

The usual condition checks apply, look for unusual engine noises or smoke, test the hydro thoroughly, and make sure the PTO is working and adjusted properly. From hard experience I have found that running a snow blower puts a lot of strain on the PTO, drive belt, front axle spindles, and wheel bearings, so make sure they are in good shape. A hard working snow blower will also take all the power you can give it, an engine on its last legs is liable not to start in very cold weather, or break down under extended full throttle operation.

Another tip if you are going to use it for snow blower duty is to run narrow tires on the front. The wide flotation tires used for cutting grass tend to float on top of snow and give you little directional control. I purchased a set of narrow rims for my 129 and put Tri-Ribs on them, and change back over to turf tires in the spring when I mow.

As for the snow blower itself, check for rust and missing or damaged parts. Bent auger blades can be straightened, but a rusted out housing can be difficult to repair. I'm not sure about the CC series blowers, but the QAs typically have a right angle gearbox driven off the PTO, which runs a chain which spins the auger. The main checks here are making sure the gearbox operates smoothly, the chain is not rusty or broken, and the bearings on the ends of the auger shaft are in good shape.

bruce, thanks for the info. i am pretty sure the blower is going up for sale. i really am only interested in the tractor. soon i will figure out how to post pics but they are always too large.

If you want to post pics, here is my rule of thumb, unless Charlie has changed the guidelines recently. I try to keep my pictures at a size of 640x480 pixels as a JPEG file, and make sure they aren't larger than 95 kilobytes. If you are using a digital camera, a 2 megapixel picture is 1600x1200, and will often be a megabyte in size.

To reduce the size (both in pixels and Kilobytes) there are several good freeware programs. I use a program called GIMP, which is an open source program that is free to download. GIMP has been around for a long time in the Linux world, and was ported to Windows several years ago. GIMP provides a wide variety of image manipulation tools, but for just reducing the size of the picture the main tools are crop, scale image, and saving the jpeg at a quality level which will keep the size under 95-100 kilobytes. If you have Microsoft Office, the photo editor program has similar utilities as well.

If you want to download GIMP, here is the link:

http://www.gimp.org/

Im stumped.

Just getting around to fixing my 105 that was giving me issues. Started having ignition problems with it. It would run and miss but got it all straightened out. Got it running to where it wouldnt miss too bad, but all of a sudden it smokes like crazy. Put new rings and rod in it about 5 years ago with normal use afterward. Why would it all of a sudden start smoking? Did I possibly blow a ring or two?

Ryan McShane

Are you sure you don`t have the carb set to rich. A carb set to rich will make a cub smoke. Unless you tell us what you did to get rid of the miss its hard to answer your question. Since I adjust timing and carb last to get the run that I want, both are important.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don T.

First off I pulled the points and filed them up, set them to .020 and had no fire. Afterward I tested to see if I had juice to the coil. Found out coil wasnt working, so I replaced it and thats how I got it going again. Ran but still had a miss in it. I havent messed with the carb yet. It ran great before all of this happened so I didnt suspect the carb but you are right...rich carbs do make them smoke. But its pure white like oil smoke rather than black.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Ryan McShane

Did you pull out the pin that runs you points to see if there was wear on that pin. If its worn down on the cam side you won`t have your timing set correctly.Try going above 20 with the points and see if that helps.If it does pull the pin and replace it.then reset. Is your breather working ? A plugged breather would make it smoke also.

old.gif

Hope everyone made it past the weather okay!
We did here. Sure has been lots of work getting things opened up.Went to work at 7:30am Tuesday, and clocked out at 4:30pm Wednesday.Spent most of that time hauling snow to a dumping place.
Spent most of today clearing drifts with a skid steer.I've never spent much time with one before.
I had a blast. One of the first things I did last night was skim the forum,maybe it was from lack of sleep,but did I see that Charlie won't allow pics anymore?I'll slip this one in behind his back.LOL ROD
220678.jpg

Don T.

Thanks for the advice. Ill check those things this weekend
thumbsup.gif

Picture resizing info. If you have Win XP on your computer, Google and down load Windows powertoys for XP. Install resizer. Then you can right click an image and resize to small(about 640x480). Works great. Does not alter original image.

KennyP

1250 hydro release lever? Mine doesn't seem to have one is this normal?

I use the Kodak EasyShare software to resize and organize my pics. It came with my camera, but it may be available for download, it works with photos from any source.

Back