• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 01, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Kraig, on Paul B's original, howcome the pipe coming through the hood doesn't fall loose, or spin and rattle, is it welded to the hood, or did I miss something... I was thinking on something like that, and then it hit me, a butterfly hood... can anyone say 1937 Chevy???
Now it will work just like a bigger international (please stop me if I am wrong...)

I jes thought that the vibration would work it loose after a while, Oh well, and Charlie, do you think my butterfly hood would work?

I hear ya Charlie, I was hesitant, (and still am) but I hope it turns out well.
Oh, and that arm of yours, how's it comin?

Glen: Are you gonna' restore your 149, or are you gonna' butcher it?

I can't keep up with ya'! You change your mind more than a woman.

Wanting to turn the 149 into a 169...nope, forget that...completely restore it...nope, not yet...it's broke down, it's fixed, it's broke again...I want a muffler through the hood, but I don't want to ruin the hood..maybe piano hinges
crazy.gif

That's why you get spare parts. Butcher the spares and keep the originals original.

Looks like I'll have to wrestle with the chains a bit more to straighten them out.

50946.jpg

Mike: A tip for ya' on messing with the chains.

Get your floor jack under the rear end of your tractor and jack up one side..let the air out of the tire, and square up the chains (also tighten the chains up now too) Then air the tire back up. Drop it down and do the same thing for the other side...no wrestleing involved.
thumbsup_old.gif

Charlie,
You know where everything is, you just have a large search radius.
biggrin.gif

Glen go to some shows or PD's take some pictures. Lay them out and see what really trips your trigger. As I have been around here only a short time it was easy to realize how plentiful most parts are. Buy an extra hood and play with it.

Being into the restoration of things most of my life I like to keep all the good orginal parts I can. If I go off the wall with something that is fine because that is my choice, but and here is a big but, if somebody is doing something back to orginal than I got the parts to help and really makes for great friends to help somebody else.

Butterfly hoods God Lord I am getting old. Remember those all tooooooo well. Ouch my head. LOL

Pops

Digger,
How does a lazer tach work - like a strobe light?
What do you use it for?
Thanks! Ryan W
beerchug.gif

On Gobblers Knob I see no shadow today.
I predict that early spring is on the way!
Cub Cub Cub

Charlie, ummm, what Terry wrote.
coffee.gif

Glen C., yes I knew what you mean't but I am not comfortable when proper credit is not given. I go to extraodinary means searching my archives to find out who posted what (when I don't actually remember that is) when I feel it makes a difference, as in a custom design. It is the right thing to do.
happy.gif

On tire chains - I fought with mine every year until I took bolt cutters and cut off that stupid locking hasp doodad. Now I use those racetrack shaped couplers with the long threaded nut that acts as a closure - can't remember what they are called.

I remove the valve core, sit the tractor to squash the tires, then jack it up at the transmission to get the tires up. Hook one side and pinch the other side together until I can get the coupler on. Tighten the coupler, air up and the chains are tight and neat every time. No swearing or busted knuckles. Also, I cut off the excess chain and leave one spare link on each side.

It still isn't the most fun job to do but at least now I don't have to fight that locking hasp. Geez Louise, who thought that one up.

When I install tire chains I use the floor jack method that Wild Bill mentioned. However, I do not deflate the tires. I got used to doing it without letting the air out because I used to have fluid in them. It's been about 14 years since I got rid of the fluid filled tires but I was used to installing it with the tires fully inflated. To keep the chains tight I use bungee cords.

50952.jpg

Bill, I may be in decisive, but if it bothers ya that much, jes ignore it. and so what if I can't decide what I want to do... all I got to say is keep up if ya can, or let this one go...
AND A butterfly hood is unique to a smaller tractor,NOT butchering it, and I want to do it, and if it works out right, when the hood is closed correctly, it wont look too much different, untill you fold it up...
I'll post pics when it is done, so all you hotrodders can see a touch of nostalgia in the cub cadet world. (not yellin, jes explanin my self)

Do the tri-ribs wear better on the 782's that have the offset tires? My regular tires are all wore out on the outside edges and look brand new on the inside edge. I spun one around on the rim to rotate wear, however, I would rather find a better tire for that styled axel

Wild Bill, Craig, and Kraig - Thanks for the tips. Normally, I do deflate the tires most of the way, but admittedly didn't do that this time. It was kinda cold that day. Once they go on crooked, they creep even more-so with use. Better fix 'em this weekend. Wait, it's going to be freezing...

Don't worry Glen. I can't decide what to do with the 72, so I'm buyin another tractor to play with till I figure it out. I got so many ideas it hurts to think of how many I forgot! Just buy another set of tires and put the chains on them and woes are all forgotten. I did that and am happy.
err.gif

Back