• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 28, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Ethan K.
The main issue it the belt, the 451 takes a 5/8" and your QL is 1/2".
The next issue will be that the 451 lifts different than QA throwers. Instead of the lift rod pulling to lift, it pushes to lift.

Can it be done, yes, but its a PITA.

So I was doing cleanup with the D yesterday and just like that, it quit moving!
So I drag it to the shop, pull the tunnel cover expecting the worst.
324135.jpg

AND!!!!
We've got a heat wave going on today.
324136.jpg

Yeah, about once or maybe e twice year depending on usage.
I was just lucky it did not happen in Oct at Blunier's !!
Because it did here at home shortly afterwards!!

Digger,

If only Cub Cadet Specialties was open on Saturday's.......I would bet they would have the needed parts to fix you right up! Happy New year to you.

Rob N.
Open 24-7 man.
biggrin.gif

That's the only good thing about sellin parts, I need something, I go grab it off the shelf, LOL

So things appear slow on the forum, let me ask this question.....how much of an incline can a 1x50 or x82 series push snow with a 42" blade on concrete? My friend bought a house out in the country and his driveway is pretty steep. Going down is not an issue, but coming up may be. I will ask him to measure incline with his smart phone to see how steep it is. Just wondering who has experience with this?

I understand answers will depend upon lots of things, but lets assume we have two link tire chains on standard turf tires, tires are filled with fluid, and a set of 40lb per side wheel weights.

Put a new pin in and run a safety wire through it like the rear pto's on a Super

Rob,

I have a relatively steep "brushed" concrete drive. I'm 6'4" and if I stand at the bottom of the drive, I'm eye level with the floor of the garage. I can park 2 full size pickups nose to tail in the drive. So I'd say it's 40-45 feet long. With my 1450, 42" blade, chains, turfs and my 350lb butt in the seat (no added weight to the tractor) and I have no trouble driving or plowing up or down the drive.

With my 1650, QA42A, turfs, chains, 110 lbs of wheel weights, and me in the seat, I would have a bit of trouble, but that thrower is heavy out there on the nose.

Scott Thanks for the info. His drive is likely 20-25 degree slope for 300 yards. The finish is not that coarse, hard to tell as was only over there once. Driveway splits in two 3/4 of the way up with asphalt leading to his 30'x40' workshop. Previous owner resealed the asphalt prior to listing the house and it is slicker than rudolph's reindeer snot. Rented UHaul moving truck laid rubber attempting to get up that portion, after a two truck and long backing up session his workshop tools are in the house garage!

I guess the only way to really answer my own question is to drop off a cub and try it out at the next snowfall......

Hello guys,
I just picked up a 1961 Cub Original with a mow deck. I was looking this over electrically and saw that the voltage regulator is located on the left side of the console tower. Is this the proper location? Or is it supposed to be located underneath the battery in front on the console?

Charlie - I had the same thing happen when I was mowing walking trails. About 1 mile away from my house (naturally). The picture shows the insurance against another occurrence.

324139.jpg

Running into HUGE issues with Kohler Mag 20 & 18 engines dumping fuel into bottom of the engine. To the point that I want to put a stick of dynamite under each of them!!

Replaced the fuel pump with a manual one on the 20hp Mag in the 982 last year after it crapped out while blowing snow, new one did the same thing about a week or two later. NICE!

Just picked up an 1872 with an 18hp Mag in it - did the same thing after running it for about 2 or three hours. Talked to local dealership about it, only connection between two was using Sea Foam as an atitive in my fuel. SO, I drained the tank completely, left it sit open for a few days to evaporate everything out of it. Engine oil was drained and sat with plug off for two weeks or more, so everything was out of it. Last week, put the new fuel pump on (manual type) and made sure it was fastened tightly against block. New fuel lines, fuel filter, plugs, plug wire ends, oil filter, and oil. Once I got fuel filter filled with gas and all the air out of lines, it fired right up. Ran perfect! I put a total of 1.5 hours on it afterwards - between idling (to check for leaks) and driving around the yard. Hooked the 450 blower up, ran tractor with it on - worked beautiful. What a beast. Kept an eye on the fuel gauge to confirm no gas was leaking into the bottom of engine (checked dip stick too, smelt it, fresh oil only) - perfect! Yesterday started working at moving the cab off the 982 over to the 1872. Everything worked great. Went out today to move the 1872 so I could use the 100 to move fire wood. 1872 wouldn't roll over? Thinking to myself that was odd, perhaps bad ground or starter dirty, or something? Scratched my head for a bit and noticed a drip from the front end as I was looking down. Hmmmm....
Well, removing the side panel - oh what fun again! - I notice the end of the muffler was wet about 3/4 of an inch up the end. Odd! Got looking and watching, oh yeah! Engine was FULL of fuel again and so was the muffler! Looked at the fuel gauge and almost 1/4 of a tank of fuel was gone.
So, needless to say after I was done cursing the tractor out. I drained the oil again and removed the muffler to drain it out. Thought what the heck, lets try rolling it over with plug wires off. Finally it did roll - SLOWLY - and it spit the fuel out the manifolds. So needless to say that engine is PERFECTLY clean inside now, from top to bottom! I'm sure there was a cup or more of gas that spit out from each cylinder. What a freak'n mess!
In fear of burning the darn thing - I closed the door and walked away.
angry.gif

What is causing the fuel pump to fail (I'm assuming that is what is crapping out all the time)?? I purposely bought new gas this time without adding any Sea Foam to it.
I also installed a new carb kit when I went over it the first time thinking the needle/float was messed up?
Am I the only person who has issues with these things dumping gas all the time? What the heck am I doing wrong? I now have an 1827, 982 and a 782 sitting in my shop - ALL have the same problem! Heck I check the white rag I put on the bench when I do carb work - I'm not leaving parts behind! I buy parts for it direct from Cub dealership for the engine. I'm at the end of my rope here with this problem.
Need some direction guys. Please.

Mike P.
EASY FIX!
DUMP that mechanical fuel pump!
Get one of the electronic ones that Dave Kirk sells.
I went through 2 Kohler and 2 aftermarket mechanical's before I wised up, Stick it and forget it, LOL
324141.jpg

Justin,

A 61' model? Nice score! That would be a early model O.
Does it have bushings on top of the front wheel spindles?
I am pretty sure the regulator should be mounted on the battery box. Check out the O pic at the top of this page.

The recent rain, which turned to slush, and finally snow, caused the spirol pin on my QA42a to break when some of the snow had chunks of ice hidden in it. The parts look-up lists the pin as 1/4" x 1-1/4", and I just happened to have one. But the O.D. of the 14 tooth sprocket is 1-3/4", so the pin is recessed in the hole 1/4" on each end. I think the transfer shaft is 3/4" which means the pin is only 1/4" into the sprocket on either side of the shaft. (Does that make sense?). It seems to me that the pin should be 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" long, and reach to the outside of the shaft, shouldn't it?

One of the quick attach mounting pins also broke off the mule frame, so I had to remove it to take to the machine shop tomorrow. When it rains, it pours, I guess. Or, should I say when it rains, snows and freezes, it breaks equipment!

bash.gif

Ok Digger....Is there anyway to confirm that the fuel pump is my only problem? No chance of anything not working right in the carb? Only reason I'm asking is I'm no carb expert. Its the Walboro carb that everyone seems to hate because its not adjustable enough for their needs it seems? Like I said before, when its not filling the engine with fuel, it runs, starts perfect.
I'm going with the thought as well that brand new oil filter I just put on will need to be replaced? Even though I have flipped it upside down to drain out the oil and gas.
Who else is using the electric fuel pumps - do you like them? They hard to install? Does Dave send nice instructions for installing? Which pin it gets hooked up to off the key switch.
What's with the old manual pumps, why do they crap out so easily?

Mike P.
I've never dug into pressure testing on those. If it didn't shoot gas a foot, I replaced it, LOL

There's more on here that know more than I do. they MIGHT chime in on your deal.

Latest posts

Back