• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 26, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I don't know how many times I gotta tell you guys!!!!!
292914.jpg

Charlie, I think everyone had way too many Christmas cookies and they are sleeping them off. I know I have had way more than my fair share!
facepalm.gif

Good evening, All. And a Belated Happy Holidays.
happy.gif

I've somewhat of a question and looking for suggestions from everyone. Recently I re-aquired a set of tires and rims that were given to me for a project that needed truly THE BEST tires and rims to be found. I did succeed in finding for the project a NOS set of tires asnd rims. Before finding them I figured on seeing if I could somehow make these work. Needless to say the rims were so rusted to the tires and I didn't know of the "Use Coca Cola" trick. I almost ruined my tire changer and found out after removing one tire that I succeeded in ruining both the inner mounting areas. My questions is .... Should I just scrap thes rims or send them to Aaron at Xtrememotorworks and see if he can install those neat custom spoked rim insides? The fella informed that wanted them back even after I told them they were ruined and he laughed and said that he coudln't get them off the rim so that is why he gave them to me. After I dropped them off he swore those wren't the ones he gave me. (They are.) So, should I just scrap them and find a better set? TIA for your suggestions.
happy.gif

Although you can't see it both are really pitted. I just don't like throwing away Cub stuff.
292918.jpg

292919.jpg

A series of questions for all who are knowledgeable about the 782.

First, is there a serial number (or close) where the Kohler KT-17 series II engine began to be installed in the 782?

Second, I know this is off topic, and apologies in advance to those who watch and moderate, Did CCC exhaust the IH final drive supply for their 782 series, and if so, is there a Serial number that begins the changeover?

Third, is the KT-17 a difficult engine to get running after it has sat for a couple of years?

Finally fourth, if the engine turns over by hand, would it be safe to assume that there is no rod of crankshaft damage to it?

There is a 782 close to me and I am going to look at it in the morning. It can be had reasonably, but I am trying to get some pointers as to if it would be worth bringing home.

Thank you all. I appreciate your comments.

Marlin--merry Christmas! If they are as bad as you say, I think I'd get rid of them for scrap. Sometimes in cases like that, you end up spending more to resurrect them when you could get a different set that is in better shape. Now if they are a very rare size or you have been just dying to have a set of Aaron's custom rims, go for it. Just my .02.

Charlie and Kraig--no kidding! I've been checking in all day and it has been
a---allalone.gif
!!! Everybody, decided to take a hiatus!

So, I started tearing down the IH 782 Cubber for a heart transplant and a new hip! I bought this thing in the spring with a Mag 18 out of a generator. That has the tapered driveshaft and obviously no PTO. So, with my recent acquisition that included a running Cub spec 18 Mag, time to build something that will run and blower or a mower... The metal is off, the engine is out, and next up is the removal of the rear end. I'm gonna install a splined shaft 15U along with the matching CV drive shaft. I feel like I've done this before...
dunno.gif
. When I get it back together, I'll set it up for snow removal. We've been blessed with mostly moderate weather this fall/winter but the "soup" is coming, I can feel it! Time to get prepared.

I don't have any info about when any of the 82 series changes happened. But I love the 82 series tractors. I'm in the same route as Josh.

Mine currently sitting without front tin in the shop. The Mag 20 is in place along with the SS front axle and power steering column all plumbed in. I'll post pictures over in the Sand box in a little while.

My KT series 1 was soooo tired. It had a rough life. I'm not sure of the hours as it didn't have an hour meter when I got it.

I am so happy to finally get to do this upgrade.

Brian W. - I bought a brand new factory assembled K241 engine for my Dad to repower one of his CC's the summer of '81. I called a woman at IH Louisville to get the name of the Kohler salesman who called on LVL. I talked to this woman for some time. She was a fan of the red tractors, not so much the yellow/white. Her job was production control supervisor but was now heading up the team responsible for gathering all the old CC parts from any and everywhere they were and getting them moved to shipping and shipped to CCC/MTD, then adjusting inventory accordingly in the computer. I got the feeling her 'team' was only 2-3 other people. She said they had shipped four semi-trailer loads of parts so far. So yes, MTD/CCC did use up all of IH's supply of parts before they changed anythimg. This was in a June/July time frame. Took till Sept. To get my new engine. Complete engine minus PTO clutch and s/g was $320. Kohler,s test lab shop assembled it. List price on the engine was around $500 or a bit more.

Joshua S. I'm thinking that you're right. Just needed to hear it. I'll finish removing the rubber and throw them on my scrap pile. I need to make a junk removing run one of these days anyway.
happy.gif

Brian W. I shy away from troubleshooting engines. There are a lot of others more knowledgeable since they work on the newer engines more than myself. However anytime one can get a 782 even if it needs engine work I say, "Go for it!!!" We'll help you get it up and running.

Brian,
while most will disagree with me but I think the KT 17 is a good engine. I have owned around a dozen or so in the past. With 3 still living with me. I Have never had a problem getting one running that has sat awhile. Just do the normal run down. Such as check oil fuel air and spark. If you run into trouble I will do the best I can to help you. Jim

Doug B. Ian just got the measurement for the spacer and re-enforcement bracket that I made when I converted a wide frame front blade bracket to fit a narrow frame. Just above where the wide frame bracket harrows inward, about an inch or so up is where I welded a cross piece that is 5 1/4" long.
This is from...

By doug barnett (Dlbarnett) on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Marlin H. how close together did you squeeze them? The forks fit on the rockshaft but I had to slide the spring assist in, thus making the spring assist in effective.

Jim H, Marlin et el, I am going to take you up on your offer to help get a 782 running. This one was left under my Christmas Tree and I picked it up today. It is tired. It is complete, for the most part, but needs a lot of TLC to get it going and to bring it back to glory. It appears to be a late 1980, with a serial number of 685492. The steering is tight, and three of the four tires hold air. Beyond that, it needs a lot of attention. There is oil in the crank case, and once I get the engine broken loose, I will better be able to figure out what it will take to get this thing back to splendor.

Here are a couple of pics. I apologize for the quality.

292952.jpg

292953.jpg

Brian W--way to bring another "red one" back from the brink of destruction. That one is really close to the production number of my 782. Yours will need some work but it is worth it. The '82 series tractors are really some sweet machines when you get running like they should. Feel free to read the restoration thread in which I detail the refurbish of my 682. It was in similar shape to yours but when done it really looks great. Good luck on your sweet find! Now the work begins...
greenthumb.gif

Brian W. Congratulations!!!! Do I see a hubcap on the rear rim? Take your time and we'll walk you through having one awesome 782. I can see that little fella at a Plow Day in the future with one happy owner. Thank You for rescuing it.

Brian,
One trick you could try that seems to work for some is this. Take a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone and pour down the spark plug hole. Back when we was restoring tractors for a living that was a common try. Let it soak for a day or two. And every once in awhile try to turn the engine. A little in both direction. We have tried everything under the son to break a engine free and 90 percent of the time we ended taking it apart and drive the pistons out. But I truly doubt yours is that bad. Let me know if I can be of any help. Jim

Just stopping in to say Happy Holiday's! Headed out to garage to put 3 point hitch onto the 782d. Getting ready for spring plowing. LOL!

Brian W. I know of no one else that hss tried it only I literally use the Strong Arm Spray and if it will free up an antique house jack that sat in water for fifteen years it will free up anything. David Scwandt could buy some at the Anamosa Motorcyle Museum. From what I understand they use it all the time. I have five tractors to get up and going before I can take on anymore projects. Plus at least one garden tractor cart to make this spring for a friend. Otherwise that 782 would be one neat project.

We have a Cub Cadet 2185 circa 1996 with a 40" snow thrower. The snow thrower has worked great. Routine maintenance only. The auger will stop turning and get plugged and then begin to turn. The auger belt was replaced and the problem persists. The PTO turns throughout this problem and the auger belt starts to smoke. Any help is appreciated as we have more snow coming. It looks like the auger belt engages and then gets "loose" which causes the blower to plug and then the belt engages and clears the plug. Will an application of belt dressing help??

Marlin H. thanks for the measurement,and for whats its worth I'd junk those rims.

I've got a line on 982 that has been sitting for many years. I can't decide if I want another project or if its worth all the time and effort to get it. Sound like if 782 is worth it then then 982 might be also

Latest posts

Back