• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 23, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But PAUL.... IH made something over five MILLION tractors, the vast majority of them red (from 1937 on) before they sold off the CC line to MTD & Ag division to Tennaco.

Don't think we've ever discussed it before but don't you think the change from yellow/white to mostly red w/white wheels was a cost savings measure? Weren't all the other LVL tractors painted red?

Got my fleet snow ready.
218547.jpg

218548.jpg

Kraig, No that Cub is long gone. That was one sweet all original 1965. Like allway I wish I still owned it. These tractor are like lost orphans looking for homes. Would like to keep them all but.........

Dennis, the last Cub tractor was sreial #253685. I have a line on #253431, but the price is pretty high for me.

Donald Tanner says, "simply go to your local shoe repair shop..." Sorry boss but.. That went out with the telephone. Hasn't been one around here in ages! I used to know of 3 or 4 close by but, they are all gone now! Some people call this progress!

Mike Frade
We have two shoe repair shops here in town still in operation. If you have an old pair of leather sole shoes that you don`t use . then you have all the repair strips you will ever need.The leather will help with vibration and work great.
thumbsup_old.gif

beerchug.gif

Mike,
Have any old real leather belts around.Or if you live close to AMISH country they have harness shops around? If you don't find what you need I'll send you some at n/c.I think strips from old baler belt would work also. I use it in the bottom and back between battery and steering tower on my CC'S it works good there.
ROD

Denny,
It is my understanding the change to red was more in making them look like the IH ag tractors ot the time since the "body style" was along those lines, more so than for a cost savings. To quote a line from the book International Harvester Farm Equipment Product History 1831-1985, by Ralph Baumheckel & Kent Borghoff,
"If they work like "real" tractors, make them red like the best "real" tractors" end quote.
I don't know just what models LVL was building at that time frame, but they built/assembled a lot of the smaller, yellow, IH Industrial tractors (hwy mowers, small loader/backhoe tractors, etc) in the last 20 years or so before the plant closed.

PAUL - I'm pretty sure the 84-series, utility tractors, 484, 584, 684, 784, H84, & 884 were built @ LVL, I understood they were skidded units shipped from Doncaster and completed.

We actually did a surprising number of 483 Federal yellow tractors @ FARMALL, Chisholm Ryder, and some other OEM used IH tractors as prime movers for their equipment, seems like the other one made blacktopping equip.

I agree, the red 82-series was pretty close to scale for the 88-series when it was released in '81. The 1X8/9 was close to the 66-series, but not as much as the 82 & 88 series.

We got 2150 red paint delivered in 350 gal. tote tanks, I'm sure the same company shipped paint to LVL, and E.Moline, Canton, Memphis, Melrose, everywhere. The same company even made an off-shade of yellow paint that was put on some places around the Quad-Cities with an awful shade of green.

found a 451 snow thrower today, just wondering if it a correct fit on my IH 782?

Keith LeJeune & Kraig McConaughey. Thanks for the info on the generator bracket. I guess I'll use the welded one, my tractor is a 1961. Have a Merry Christmas.

I have my K161 tore down for a rebuild, and found seals on the crankshaft bearings on both ends. The new original Kohler bearing I found on ebay came with no seals. One seal on engine currently has a metal shield and one has just the rubber seal.

My question is should the seals be on the bearings?? The crankcase bearing plate has a drain that drains the oil between the outer seal and the bearing on both ends of crankshaft. Was my engine rebuilt before and bearings with seals got put in, or is this correct with the seals?

I'm full of questions with this tractor. First one I've ever restored.

Thanks for any help you can shed on this. Mike

Chris S. Russell. Your posted picture on Dec. 21 shows your tractor with some nice looking front and back tires with aggressive tread. What brand and style are those? Did you have any problems with newer tires fitting the older wheel rims?

Jim S.
According to the Parts Look up above. These are specific for the 782.
190-364-100 45" Snowthrower (IH Design)
450 45" Snow Thrower/Blower
Haben Snowthrowers H42, H48, H48, H42, 353, 354

Like the way they spelled Haban? LOL

Also a QA36A and a QA42A will work.

Thanks Kraig.
Rodney - 22 here right now (15 past noon), expecting 25 Christmas day & Boxing day (thats Celsius not those old fashioned Farhenh things), few showers & stuff between Sun. Power plant is Honda GX340/11HP. You might be sorry you asked. Fair bit of work to mod & mount, Kraig has details.
Expecting this to go past soon, on way up to you guys.
218558.jpg

1a_scratchhead.gif

GRAEME,
What's boxing day?
Also I realize toliets flush backwards down below, compared to us. You sit on the right and drive on the left,but one thing I just didn't realize was Santa flew upside down, your way!!!
rofl.gif
roflol.gif
biggrin.gif

ROD SMITH

Graeme, good to see you posting again. It's been a while. And it's great to see your classic Christmas photo again, too!

I will Lucas, Thanks! Haven't heard back from him today and am getting worried. Hope it's not gone!
1a_scratchhead.gif
But it is the holidays so I will be patient.

Hey Rod, the bloke whose head is upside down on my Cub has never been in my backyard to get oil dripping down on him.
And thanks Greg L.
By the way, off topic a bit more Charlie, you blokes have come up with good stuff before, anyone know anything about Tecumseh 705-002 Hydro drive unit (built about 1998)? Any Assembly pics or such?

Back