• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 22, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshultz

displayname
Shultzie
Dang! I missed out on the log splitter.
angry.gif
Just my luck.

Dave,

So it looks like you need 4 spacers.
groupwave.gif

Kraig, I knew somebody would have the answer!
worthy.gif
Your library of pictures and willingness to search and post is a great asset to this forum. Thanks!

The reason I asked about the paint is because I also used IH white on a tire rim, but it looks more like a cream color than white.

Ken The rear mount for the arm isn't just a bushing. I think it would be a pipe drilled for the cotter pin, with a pin welded in one end for the rear mount of the top arm. The pins welded there are only about an inch long.
Tom can you look at yours and see if thats accurate?
Kraig, I didn't catch that, thanks. And thanks for the pictures.
happy.gif

John, Were you trying to match it against paint that was on there for quite a while?..These colors have a habit of bleaching out from UV light from the sun..That could be why it seems too cream colored...

Also that color of white is for the later model IH tractors..post 1975 color..I do not know of any spray can match for the older tractors..Maybe someone else may know of one..

Dave, I see what you're saying about the upper pins. Here's a cropped higher resolution version. It does not appear to have any cotter pins holding the upper spacers on, but it would be a good way to do it. The lower spacers could be just simple short sections of pipe or in a pinch a bunch of washers could be used there. I suppose one could bend the upper links (though that would shorten their length) would be better to fab up some with a bend in them to eliminate the need for the upper spacers.

233653.jpg

Here's what I'm referring to for the bent upper links to eliminate the need for the upper spacers. Would be fairly easy to make out of some bar stock.

233657.jpg

Kraig, I'm working on something in my head, (Yes I know). Give me a day or so.

can i see someone who has the IH windbreaker and can show me the rear bracket that hold up the roof i just need to see what they look like can somone show a picture

Kriag,

That design will likely interfere with the nose casting on a narrow frame.....the spacers offset the upper links enough to prevent interference.

233663.jpg

233664.jpg

Modified version to prevent drilling holes in fender deck.

233666.jpg

Steve B., good point!
bash.gif

Dave, Ken, ummm, see Steve B's comment on my stupid bent upper link idea.
blush.gif

New to this; please forgive any gaffs.

I have a 982 that runs great until you put some strain on it, ie a plow, disk or something requiring extra pulling power. I have several 682 and 782 tractors that don't have that problem. Any ideas as to what's bogging me down; what i should look at first?

DONALD - I don't understand what exactly your 982 is doing when it gets under a heavier load, is the engine running rough, coughing, sputtering, shutting off completely, or is the hydro just slipping or is the engine just slowing down and not holding it's RPM's?

The B48G Onan engines in the 982's have a terrible governor design. There's a plastic finger ring pressed onto the cast iron cam gear running at half crankshaft speed that slips on high hour Onan engines that lets the engine RPM drop under load but if you shove the throttle lever up full speed the egnine revs right up and can over-speed which leads to broken conn. rods, etc. The old Kohler K-series all used gear driven governors run at more than crankshaft speed which makes for a more positive operating governor. If your engine runs fine but slows under load that's your problem.

I saw a huge long thread at another website over a year ago about how to fix the problem. The manuals say to replace the cam driven gear and cam drive gear on the crankshaft and all the other seals and gaskets which costs over $400 for just parts alone. But a piece of plastic held in place by the governor plate into a knotch cast into the cam gear positively drives the finger ring, but you still need to pull the engine and tear most of the top front of the engine apart to perform the repair.

Steve B, Kraig, You know if I had my head on right, Tom H, just mentioned that interference in the last few days,

Dennis,

Any chance you can shoot me that link, wouldn't mind reading that thread or if you find it and paste the exerpt from it in the sand box? That would be good reading and something to know. After all, I have a 982 in my garage and yep - its got the Onan in it. Not sure that mine has ever had the upgrade to it. Probably should tear it down to confirm, but that's extra $$ I don't have at the moment after buying my 100 a couple weeks ago and a box full of attachments.

Guess you have to prioritize in this Cub habbit. Can't let a good deal pass by - may never come back again!

A couple shots of the pin hitch I made for my 682. No big deal, just allows me to keep the ball hitch the PO mounted at normal trailer height and still use my garden trailer at its appropriate tongue height. Made it out of 3/16" steel, but wish I had done it with 1/4". Still, I think it should handle the weights of my garden trailer ok. If not, it was a simple thing to make. I'll just make a heavier one.

233675.jpg

You can also see that the PO reinforced the hitch plate to handle heavy trailers.
233676.jpg

Latest posts

Back