• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 20, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need help, I have tons of snow on the ground and a ton more falling...

My steering is broken... The wheel turns and the rod that comes to the left wheel turns, however neither tire moves, there is a pin in there and I am wondering if I broke this. If I did, how do I get it out? Any suggestions would really help... I need to get this snow removed...Thx a gont guys.

Kevin:
There's a 5/16" x 2" roll pin that you've probably sheared. You need to drive that out. Note that you should make the permanent replacement with another roll pin, as using a solid pin will eventually wear the hole and introduce more slop in the steering.. A roll pin (which is actually a coiled spring tube) will expand to avoid the wear.

Graeme:
I'm having the brother-in-law standing by with camera again this year........we'll see whether he's still using the 129's....

Kevin - If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds like the pin that holds #6 to #8 in the diagram, is broken.

111762.gif

Kevin,

fast fix is a 5/16" bolt, but as mentioned below, fix it correctly after you move your snow.

(just drive out the old pin with a punch)

Kendell, you're too quick for me! And you KNEW the answer - I had to look up the parts and GUESS! Thanks for validating my guess.

Edit: Steve, too!

I guess it wasn't so bad here we only got 5 inches of snow and some wind, but man its cold. minus 11 when I started. Four hours on the 129, made all the neighbors happy.

Does anbody have a fix for the chute on snowblowers that freeze up? I shot some penetrating oil on it but it still gets pretty stiff. I had thought about a fan behind the grill to push the heat out but...

I do keep track of the money. All three earn their keep, especially on a day like today. It sure is nice that a 30 plus year old fleet can be counted on the go to work at a minutes notice in this weather.
greenthumb.gif

Tristan S.- Look up near the top of the page for the 23-8.5-12 chains. A little smaller,a little more money.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Frank C. -29 Ouch,down south it's a balmy +1 with a brisk north wind.

I'm reassembling the hydro stat from my 147 and have run into some problems. 1. the cover gasket where the aluminum and case iron part come together seems to be the right shape,but it is too small #394 865 R1 on the package,old stock and shrunk or wrong one? If it has shrunk, soak it in hot water or get another? 2. The parts book implies that I can use the short suction tube instead of the original that loops up and over (its cracked), I got the tube #927-3008 but must need a special fitting for the hydrostat end? No fitting came in the package for the differential end,take the fitting off the original tube and get a new compression sleeve? I don't seem to find a bolt torque spec for the above reassembly of the hydrostat unit. Thanks in abvance. Wayne

TO:deansauve[Dsauve],seems like your snowblower will keep freezing up; i,am not sure....but after use, would removing snow build-up from inside the chute,spray inside with some spray-silicone[STONER-brand for example]. i use it on the rubber door seals on my car and it dose well to prevent my doors from freezing shut. OR...what about filling up a spray bottle full of windsheild-DEicer? i guess its better than a "blank" from how i understand your posted question.

Update on the 1450 driveshaft going into the 149...At first it was too short (bending the rubber couplers). Someone suggested adding an extra one in there now its too long. Can't get the roll pin back in. That and its 15 degrees out and the wind is blowing like crazy. And the propane heat in the cubby shed just isn't quite enough. My feet are frozen and I've had enough for one day. Any suggestions, has anyone put a 1450 driveshaft on a 149 before???? Thanks, Nick

Nick first I'd say get your feet warm crab a hot chocolate and thaw out, and by this time you will be ready for a nap. while you are dreaming dream up something like you have spaced out the length with washers to what you need.-- just a suggestion
thumbsup.gif

Jim H, very good, I'll put the two new couplers on spaced out to the correct length. I grabbed a beer instead. I just finished night shift up this morning so my brain is still sleeping or something. Anyway, thanks, Nick
beerchug.gif

well bad news here on the SG's
the 1st SG i have has everythig fryed inside
thumbsdown.gif
the windings have cooked and the bearing is froze to the shaft.This one I got from greed-bay,said it worked!!Have you ever tryed to save money only to shoot yourself in the foot?!!
111790.jpg

111791.jpg

the 2nd SG I have is the same as above!!this one came with #2 123 its a wonder how I got the thing started!I guess thats why it was so darn slow!Both the commutators are glazed and need some 00 emery cloth guess theres no use though!
111792.jpg

111793.jpg

This is my last hope!!this one came off the #1 123 when i first got it before tear down.It would motor freely but had absolutly no power to turn the engine over.Its not like the original SG's it had open ends and a fan on the front.Reminds me of a alternator.Due to the open ends it was real rusty inside.I cleaned up the armature and sanded the commutator but have yet to try it out.It has a number on it (9446)12v.Does that sound farmiliar?I have found nothing on it.The PO had it put on but never used it he gave the tractor to me and said it didnt run,said the SG is new.It has no brand on it.Kinda nervous to put it on and fry something!!when I first got the tractor I actualy put a pully in my 18v makita and started the tractor!!The Sg didnt respond.
111794.jpg

Graeme Merry Christmas!! havent seen you post in a while.Hows it going!

Nick
First Im no expert!! but in your post dec 18 at 3:44 it "looks" like the front coupler is bent also,and on the same side as the rear one.Is the drive shaft bound up (possible??) pushing it towards the engine?Could be just the photo but the one on the engine looks bent also.Maybe the nuts and bolts are different sizes causing the vibration,2 look longer???Just a guess and a suggestion!!Hope you warm up.

Frank and others with the minus temps,I cant even imagine 29 BELOW 0 wow now thats stinkin cold!!no wonder Charlie dont ship paint!!
icon_eek.gif

Jason, the coupler on the front was the original one off of my 149. The rear one came with the 1450 driveshaft. I have two new ones for a 1450 now. That and a little spacing hopefully will work. The 149 coupler had seen better days. The driveshaft is straight, the bearings on the ends are good and just greased up, and the ball on the hydro end flange is good. Now the only other trouble is getting the engine bolted back in. For some unknown reason the bolts just don't fall into place...a lot of twisting and wiggling involved. Tomorrow is another day. Nick

I'm glad this snow is back. The last snow storm started out with the snow chucker. Go 10' plug it up, clean it out, 10' plug it up. After about 30' I had enough of that. Changed to the blade. This snow storm it was powdery so I figured the chucker should work a lot better so I put it back on. 30' plug it up, clean it out, 30' plug it up Put the blade back on. Got everything done including the drive our landlord does but fed up with the rocking back and forth from the extra weight up top from the cab. Got bored tonight and thought I would see how the 73 does so took the blade off the 102...again..gassed it up and the battery is dead...just had it runnin last week Well finally got over that and went to play...that is what we do ..right? Looks to me like the 102 will sit out the winter. I like that little 73. Even without weights, just 2 link chains it did great. Will be robing the weights from the 102 tomorrow. Funny thing is when we had warm weather it smoked pretty good now it's cold it's gone, I'm not gonna complain. It's faster than the 102 also, can finally get the snow rollin off the blade. My wife's son wanted to take some pictures and out he comes with the camera...he must have moved the setting cause he's got a few videos. Was wonderin why the flash wasn't workin.

Video of 73

Lets see if Kraigs tutorial did me any good ;)

Woohoo...finally got it right
happy.gif

TO: Wayne, well...dont know if this helps to give you a ball-park figure on torque specification relating to your IH cub cadet model 147 , but i,am reading from IH BLUE RIBBON SERVICE MANUAL PT#GSS-1398 SEPT.1969. this manual only covers IH cub cadet model 105 & 125 in the hydrostatic trans.section.....so with that,there is no specification listed for "housing bolts" ....BUT at least this manual has a "Standard Torque Data for Nuts and Bolts" listing. even this data will not allow me to give a spec. because there is a gasket involved. tighten them so that the unit does not fail...or use a torque-wrench on another unit to see what they are set at. hopefuly you come up with a better answer. it dose in fact state "hydrostatic unit to differential housing....30 foot pounds". "charge pump cap screws...52 ft.lbs." "center section-to-transmission case cap screws...35ft.lbs. motor swash plate [fixed] hexagon socket head cap screws...67ft.lbs." sorry no info. F.Y.I... back to the original suction line,it is suggested that the stabilizer bracket#406-866-r1 and clip#406-867-r1 be installed on suctiom line.

It IS a bit breezy & cold west of the Burgh tonite,as in other areas of the US. played with chains for snow tires I want to put on 107. put in 4+ gallons blue juice per tire,that added some weight. So jack 'er up,throw chains over ,got to hook up- nope wont get close,
1a_scratchhead.gif
then start spin tire,6 or 7 cross chains are twisted-these chains have the 2 prong "spikes" on top of cross chains. spent well over hour poppin loose end links to let me un-twist cross chains. Now went right on, smooth as silk.
bouncy.gif

Moral: check the freakin' chains all way down before installing!
bash.gif

Now I see why there is a need for 2 tractors-summer and winter.
thumbsup.gif

Harry M, sometimes putting chains on will make you end up talking to yourself!!! I leave them on year round, it's easier. Nick

And Harry, what's up with this weather here in Pa.? I'm only an hour or two from you...2 days ago we got 3 inches of rain, now it's 10 degrees out and snowing and blowing like crazy. I guess it's better than 3 feet of snow. Nick

Latest posts

Back