• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 19, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brhodes

displayname
Bill Rhodes
Got hone this morning

250750.jpg

I think I will work on my tiller.

Just saying

Harry I have a 109 with just reflectors on the rear, thinking about getting tail lights. Any thoughts?

WES - I set a record installing the chains on my #1 snow mover ten days ago. Normally it takes two hours, hour a side, but for some reason the second chain fell right on, only took 1-1/2 hrs.

Putting on CC chains is easy compared to the chains I have. Each chain weights around 200#, maybe more, I know I can't lift them except one end at a time. I'd sure hate to chain-up a 1086 or the like with 18.4X38's. The chains for the M are actually a bit bigger but lighter.

JOSEPH - Not sure who you get for TV news/weather over there, lot of my old co-workers years ago lived in Fort, some got Madison stations and some got Milw. But We watch NBC-15 early news/weather, so Charlie S. is our weather guy, but if we want to know what the weather will really do we watch Bob Lindmeire on ABC channel 27.

If I was betting on the storm, I'd guess we'll get 10-11, maybe 12 inches. But it's the wind with it that can really cause the head-aches.

SON finally sent me a link to a video of me pushing some snow 4-5 yrs ago the winter we had over 100 inches. HEY MIKE.... Can your 73 handle snow like this? http://s69.beta.photobucket.com/user/LightningStruck/media/General/WinterStormFromHell.mp4.html#/user/LightningStruck/media/General/WinterStormFromHell.mp4.html?&_suid=135594137849005063742803971409

Dfrisk- that is a great vid. I've used Dad's H to move snow (when I lived at my parent's place) for years, so I know how much fun they are. He's used it since the 70s- rear mounted 3 pt hitch blade. Fortunately he's got a windbreaker for it, which helps, because he's out in the country where it drifts quite often.

Looks like the chains help. He's got 3 weights on each wheel PLUS chloride in the tires, and I don't know how many times I'd sit and spin. He's said it before he wishes he had chains for it.

Keeping this on topic- fast forward to last year- I moved out to my own place and found a 147 that I have outfitted to moving snow. Never used a CC for moving snow but I'm looking forward to it. However, the NF (narrow front in this case) Farmall H will always be a favorite snow moving vehicle.

I recently bought a nice 1650 but it smoked when I fired it.I tore it down,checked the ring end gap which is around 12-15 thousants.Piston and cylinder look like new.Put it back together and only seems to smoke profusley at first start up.Seems to clear it'self after running for a couple minutes and runs great.Is it possible something is not assembled correctly in the tappet cover area?I haven't had time to look at that.
Thanks for all the info I will get.

Daniel C May - to bad about your "Ole Smokey 1650". I suspect there are a few guys on here that would be willing to take it off your hands. Now, there might be a few guys that will help you address the smoking problem. For me to address there are just so many possibilities. You might just be on the right track where you mention the tappet cover. The valve lifters are in there and do require periodic adjustment. It's identified in the Service Manual. There is also a little drain back hole, which I believe is on the bottom right in the very back. You need to make sure that little drain back hole isn't plugged. Also, it's possible someone assembled the breather components in the "incorrect" order which I guess could possible cause this problem. Hope others will pipe in with comments as well.

Bill R - as opposed to the cost of your advice, mine is somewhat expensive, although I have a long term payment plan. Do you have headlights?

been doing a little work on the loader. Got some hooks welded on the bucket and the new front axle with spindle upgrade ready. still need to pick up a set of wheels though.

250755.jpg

250756.jpg

250757.jpg

Hi, I had a question. I want to post some things related to fitting up a 450 blower to my 782 ser. 2050594u670534. I always thought this was still an IH product. i am sure the blower is from ccc era. Where should I post this? Thanks John

Mike E.
Just a tip for using those hooks on these little loaders, which you may already know.
Never use one or the other of those outboard hooks by themselves. I know several guys that have tweaked their loaders by doing so.
Middle by itself, 2 outboards in combination and you'll be fine.
Just don't want to see ya spring that sucker.
biggrin.gif

John S.
Paul has a good idea starting a new thread in the MTD/CCC section.
That way if someone else wants to do it, they can have easy access to it without doing a search.
thumbsup_old.gif

DANIEL M. - When I was a kid, 40+ yrs ago I used Dad's '51 & Stan-Hoist loader with the big 80 inch wide snow bucket to clear all the snow out of the barn yard and pile it up. That very same tractor/loader is now my #2 Snow mover! You can just see the tractor in the back right corner of the shop in the video.

The Super H had two pair of wheel weights, plus 400-500# of calcium chloride solution in each rear wheel since WAY before Dad bought it back in '68, and the rear rims looked like it. Febuary of '11, when I went out to clear up the drive from the "Storm of the Century" I was greeted by a flat right rear tire on the SH, a 50 year old patch had developed a hole. About April when it would only stay up a day or so after airing it up it was time to fix it. I don't have near enough tire tools to bump off a rear tractor tire that's got 40+ yrs of rust from CaCl holding it on so had the pull the rims/tires off the rear wheels and take them over to a ag tire shop over Paul R's way, and had them bump the tires off, then I sand blasted, primed & painted both rear rims and had the tires put back on with new tubes and NO fluid. Think I only used it once last winter on a little 4-5 inch snow and it seemed to push about as well as with the fluid. If I need more weight I have three pair of weights, 900# more on the M I can put on it.

That winter of the video was the year we had over 100 inches of snow, that particular storm was right around 17-18 inches plus lots of wind. About a month or so after that video SON & I used both tractors to clear ALL that snow I pushed out in the front yard way back along side the edge of the yard. All I could see was all that snow melting and all that water finding it's way into the basement.

My driveway is concrete except right in front of the shop. Without chains neither big tractor can push as much as a Cub Cadet with chains. In fact, the Super H struggles to even climb the slope of the drive up to the road in more than 2-3 inches of snow. But with the chains I can push over a foot of snow up my 100 ft long drive and clear across the road.

I think Paul R. had a talk with his old co-workers. The highway dept put up about twice as much snow fence this year as any other year in the 20 yrs we've lived here. I suspect there will be a HUGE snow drift at the edge of the corn field across the road from my house in about 24 hours. But that's better than the snow being in the road or my driveway.

Snow.......... ???? It was a beautiful 72 degrees here today and I picked up some detritus from the back of the property and moved it to the compost pile. There were still some black berries (amazing at this date)I discovered that didn't last long going into/onto on our oatmeal for breakfast.

The Florida boys on the forum, (including folks down here from Michigan) will attest to the beautiful weather.

250768.jpg

"HEY MIKE.... Can your 73 handle snow like this? "

Yep! I'd go after it and am confident I'd clear it away. Would it be fast? Probably not as fast as your big tractor. But, I'd get it done! I'll dig up a pic or two and show you what we had dumped on us 2 years ago. It easily compares to that video.

Let's see if I can get these pics in?? And this was in 2009.. Around the Focus I stuffed the auger in and tossed the snow over the top.

250775.jpg

250776.jpg

250777.jpg

250778.jpg

Mike - why I'm surprised. I thought you were more neighborably than that. In your bottom pick of that snow pile I see your neighbor's drive across the street hasn't even been touched. Are you the one that tossed those trash bags on the snow bank for them? There's not even any foot prints on their side. Hey - I see a sign says Diesel $2.69. Was that per liter?
So, the bigger question is whether you've been working on that wide frame and 42A? I'm sure your neighbors are anxious so you take less time on yours and can help them out.
The SNOW is coming your way!!!!
wave.gif

Daniel c May when you said the gap was only .012 to .015 .how did you check this ? the only way ,is remove the rings from the piston ,and place them in the bore about a 1.000 down ,using the piston too keep them stright ,in the bore ,then use a feeler ,you may have alot of blow by ,do you have compression now ,did you have the bore checked by a machinist ,too be sure you the bore is still round ,with in .002 and did you check for taper in the bore .with in .003 ,if more than that ,it needs help ,when you installed the rings did you move the gaps away from the pin holes 1 inch on either side of the pin hole ,the gap dose not want to be in the ware area,and the rings should be 120 apart ,and oil ring 180 apart .if you blow air down the oil fill hole ,on the compression stroke ,you should not have air coming out the plug hole or the exhaust .or you may be lucky and just have a bad breather ,hope any of this helps .David

Kraig,
That would be Big Steve, Mark Martino, Mike Masheris, Chris Englking, Medium Steve, Brad Diatsman, Steve Bauer and me.
The camera man? The Dear John guy is my nephew.

Back