• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshultz

displayname
Shultzie
OCC???
1a_scratchhead.gif
Frank??
shame.gif

Frank W., WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Your photo didn't post due to the Archive Bug.
pcwhack.gif
Please try to post it again. Forum member Amy has a 104 and a snowthrower. Not sure about a creeper gear, hopefully Amy will reply.

EDIT: As Shultzie hinted, this is not OCC this is the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet Forum. The first Cub Cadet forum, which I guess by default makes us the original <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet Forum.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hello IHCC,
WOW, I'm not off to a good start. The good news is I can only up from here. Sorry about that.

I’ve doing some selling and tractor fund finally has some funds in it.
The next logical step is to get another Cub, I’m sure you would all agree.
My thought was to look upgrade for my 107, which has been my
go to work tractor for the yard and especially snow removal with a QA36.
Because of the awkward shape of my driveway there is a lot of forward and
back, which is a breeze with the hydrostatic transmission. So my search
for an upgrade has leaned toward Cubs with hydrostatic, until I fell in
love with a nicely done 104 with a creeper. I’ve a couple of manual Cubs
before, none with a creeper, and they haven’t worked well for me with
keeping the RPMs up for the thrower and going slow enough to make it through.
The question is, I think I’m willing to put up with a manual forward and reversing,
but will a 104 with a creeper go slow enough to move snow effectively? What I
don’t want, is to kicking myself down the road for the lack of a hydrostatic.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Frank
292666.jpg

Frank, wow, that is one clean looking 104! I'd say snap it up! Here's some info for you regarding speeds and creeper gears.

292668.jpg

292669.jpg

Thanks Kraig for the info.
That creeper is really slow.
I'm thinking it would work fine for snow.
Here another pic, its really nice.
Thanks,
Frank
292672.jpg

That sure is a great looking 104 .
greenthumb.gif

Now to get some chains installed and weights to put that Cub to work.

groupwave.gif
Welcome 1

Frank,that is a really nice 104. I just recently bought another creeper gear for mine. I gave the first one to my son so I dont know exactly how the creeper will work but heres what I do know. I have a CW-36 and have cleaned heavy wet snow with no issues at WOT . I may have had to push the clutch/brake a few times but ive done it for so many years without a creeper. I have to get my creeper installed yet and get my thrower on for the winter. I personally wouldnt be afraid of the 104,the creeper is what I wanted so I wont have to do the clutch/brake anymore. How much can ya get this for if you dont mind me asking ?

Frank,
Nice looking 104. I'd be proud to own that, even though I'm a hydro guy. The creeper is a huge plus if tilling or throwing snow. Hope you snag her!
Welcome aboard as well!
WELCOME.gif

Frank W. - I'm gonna get beat up by some GearHeads on here for saying this but I vote that you don't do it. Us Hydro Guys gotta stick together!!! Infinitely variable speed with the Hydro will always be better than the fixed speeds with a manual drive.

Now, I will say that sure is a nice looking 104, and the thrower looks really nice to. So, if you're gonna do this try to figure out a way to keep your 107 as well. I happen to really like the 107 myself. And if you ever happen to strain your left leg somehow you'll be glad you kept it as well.

Frank W - I see in your profile you're in Ipswich. That isn't far from my son so if you don't buy the 104 send me the details and I'll see if my son can get it before anyone else on here.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the good input and info. I may have the perfect solution. Just had a beer with my next door neighbor and told him of my dilemma, he said he would be happy to buy the 107 and have it at my disposal, I immediately gave him another beer and called the 104 guy. Truth be known its the 107 that has also kept the snow out of his drive for the last 12 years. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Many thanks,
Frank

Frank W. In your first picture, I've noticed a small black square just below the dash pedestal in the frame. Did some PO cut an access hole there? Thank You for your reply.
happy.gif
Also... try and keep the 107. One of each is always a good thing.

From warm and rainy yesterday morning to now a very windy 27* this morning. Oh man does it feel more like winter is coming.

Hello Marlin,
Thanks for noticing as I’m not very familiar with this model.
Luckily it’s not a hole, some sort of sticker.
Thanks,
Frank
292679.jpg

Frank W - don't do it. Someone went and stuck on a couple decals from a newer version tractor, and I see they even used a newer style gear shift knob. Tell your neighbor thanks but you're keeping the 107 - AND SEND ME the phone number for the guy selling the 104. Geez, I'll even ask for a discount cause he used some newer stuff on it (even tho they look nice).

Truthfully, there is one thing I noticed that you should look at. The armstrong lift arm sorta looks like it might be bent back a little. It could be just distoration in the pic but worth checking it. Might not be a problem now with the way it works, but could be a future problem (although when is really unknown).

Hello IHCC,
Just to keep you updated. I made the deal for the 104 and headed down on Saturday. I would like to thank everybody for their input as it very much helped me make the decision.
Thanks,
Frank
292682.jpg

And Hydro Harry, thanks for the observation on the lift. I will take an extra look at that.

Harry to the best of my knowledge thats the correct gearshift knob as its the same one on my 104. I do agree on the lift arm though it is bent back a lil. I dont believe mine is bent at all but will look in the am when I go out to work on my snow cab . I dont think it would hurt anything though as long as the inside rod is bent as well.......

Amy - I suppose I could be wrong about the gearshift knob. I thought the 104 still had the older rounded style. Since I'm really a Hydro kind'a guy I just can't keep up with all the Gear drive stuff.

Frank W - well sounds like you went ahead and did it. Someone sure did a nice paint job, carefully taking things apart and putting them back together. I see they converted the gas line to a rubber hose which probably works better. In the last pic you posted I see the tractor is missing the little rubber pieces that serve as a hood rest when the hood is closed. I think you can take a piece of 1" ID rubber hose (not certain on the hose diameter) and cut some pieces to fit over those 2 rests on the yellow piece attached to the back of the dash. Keep us informed of how this tractor really is, and what ever you do please post some more pics.

Latest posts

Back