• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank a volt test just tells you it has electricty available to the primary side, not what it does with it on the secondary side.
happy.gif

yes, i know may volt test only told me it is getting power, not what the coil is putting out.

testing power going in to the coil was only to eliminate a broken wire or something not letting power get to the coil.

I hate to jump off topic, but I've been hunting "hi and low" for a Danco creeper gear for my Original. A buddy of mine sent me a link for a M and W gearbox that sold recently on Ebay for almost $2,000! The Danco creeper gearboxes sell for around $200 or $300 all the time. I'm just wondering what makes a M and W worth so much more? Are they that hard to find? And does anybody know why they are so rare?

Jason:
The W&W was a 9 speed unit -not really a 'hi-low' set up like the Danco or IH creepers.

M&W made 'special/hot rod' parts for farm tractors. My dad has a 1954 Farmall Super H that has a M&W Hand Clutch.

Besides hand clutches, M&W made piston kits that made more compression, governors that allowed more RPM with faster response, power steering set ups, etc.

I would imagine that since M&W made items for mainly farm tractors, the stuff they made for GTs was not 'mass produced', and therefor are pretty rare. Some people pay top dollar for the M&W garden tractor parts.

Frank-

If you have ohm tested the coil and it showed good and you have 12 volts at the coil then it seems to me it might just be a coil wire or plug gone bad. Have you tested these? I have mentioned this before but because a part is new doesn't mean it's good. Ohm you coil wire and try another plug.

My .02 ....Wayne

Bill C.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like an M&W would be cool to have, but do to the cost of getting one I think I'll keep looking for a Danco. Ethier way it will probibly be a long hunt, parts for the older Cubs are getting hard to find up here in Michigan.

Frank and Wayne:
The secondary (high voltage) side of a coil can pass a resistance test with flying colors and still have an insulation failure which can allow the spark to jump to ground..A common failure is the tower bakelite can be cracked... Maybe the exhaust leak cooked the coil.....
clappy.gif

Jim L.,

Thanks for sharing your info, Jim!
thumbsup.gif

I assume that all of your Cubs have their original-sized Kohler engines. For instance, your 106 has a 10HP Kohler and not a 12HP, is that correct?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just for my clarification, you determined from your parts look-up research, that your:

-- two Originals, the 106, the 125 and the 1450 DO NOT have balance gears.

-- 147 DOES HAVE balance gears.

-- existence of balance gears inside your 149 and 1250 has yet to be determined.

Did I list your findings correctly?
1a_scratchhead.gif

If you don't mind me asking, please share which oil dipstick tube configuration you have on the Kolhers in your 106, 125, 147, 149, 1250, and 1450 Cubs; Are they:

#1 -- LH side @ S/G,
#2 -- RH side @ cam cover, or
#3 -- both #1 and #2 tubes.

Lastly, when you said you plan to 'check them out', does that mean you plan to pull the engine oil pans and inspect the crankcase to confirm your research?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

coil has not been Ohm tested, hopefully today.
coil, plug and coil wire will be tested.
i also have the old coil and coil wire i can try putting back in.

so far, all i know is, there is power going to the coil, but no spark on the coil wire with a tester and no spark at the plug while holding plug to ground.

Latest posts

Back