• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbell

displayname
Paul Bell
Matt G
I have had a few of them but I don't care for the QL's because it is pricey to repair the driveline in them, and don't keep any that might show up around my place (800's don't count), so there is probably plenty I don't know about them, but the balance gears are not listed for the QL model's in the TC-157 parts manual, or in the online parts look up. Other than an 800, the only one I had the engine apart on was a 1200 or 1250 and I don't remember if it had them or not.

Bobby, I've had really good luck with heater vent, self tapping sheet metal screws and caulk. just thought I'd mention it,
happy.gif

Bobby-
Since everything is still good with that engine, you should epoxy a piece of plexi-glass on the side of it to cover the gaping hole in the side.

Not only would it be neat to see all of the parts whir around inside that engine when it's running, but it would make checking the oil REALLY easy.

LOL!
happy.gif

i would imagine plexi-glass would melt, but do you suppose that could be done with glass? is there anything that could really hold it on there? rather than scrap the motor, i would deffinately try and fix the block... and the glass idea would be sweet!... not very praticle tho...

Home of the Plow Special, Reminds my of when I was very young and found myself at OSU's Ag center. They had cows with plexiglass in their side and one could watch their stomach work. Poor buggers.

Is the threaded locking rod inside the PTO lever removable? It's the one from my 149. There's a weld where the hollow handle meets the solid shaft that goes through the dash tower. This weld is preventing the rod inside from coming out. It seems it would have to come out from the bottom because of the right angle catch like the rod inside the lift lever.

Am I missing something once again? I really need to clean the threads on this locking rod.

Kraig,
About the cw36. I paid $50.00. It is in really nice shape. The auger screw is perfectly straight and spins easily. He seemed to have his parts and garage in good order so I doubt he has lost the parts but I will give him a call to be sure. He has 3 cubs with plows, blowers and a really nice flail mower.
He is using car batteries on his cubs and I am going to try and shoehorn one into my 105. It really turns over hard in the cold.
I have 2 gear boxes, one on a qa42 that I bought for $50.00 that included 2-75lb wheel weights and chains. The other qa42, and the better of the 2, I rescued from a scrap pile for $10.00.
I will try to get this put together a la Frankenstein. Come to think of it I vaguely remember seeing one of these locally and I will call that guy to see if he has the mounting gear.
Thanks again for the help.

ART - Other than JIM D.'s excellent advise, You may want to mic the shaft the cam runs on, then use pin gauges to measure the bore of the cam. To be honest I've never measured either one on a rebuild. The cam has such a HUGE bearing surface on the shaft and the CI cam wears so well I would think they would last forever. I suspect the steel shaft would wear out-of-round first. But I watch the end play on the cam REAL close. The manual's spec is .005"/.010" and I shoot for .005"/.006". Good news is the shims for the balance gears are perfect for setting cam endplay. When I rebuilt my K241 that lived for years in the 72 I actually had to cut a couple shims from brass sheet stock. The K241 didn't have any Gernade gears!

ANYHOW, Glad to see Jim posting here more. I saw a couple of His pullers run at a PD @ Blunier's several yrs ago. You all may think You have a good running CC, and in many cases it is I'm sure, but You should see Jim's tractors hook to the sled!

Terry, I went there an got more warnings for bugs than an alabama porch pup.

I do what I can.
happy.gif

Probly not so funny to Terry but I figured people would want to know.

Hey guys,
I did a search for replacing the front gasket on the hydro,(1250)and it looks neopreme is the material of choice.Are you guys still using the 1/16" neopreme?
Any issues yet?
thanks
Dave

Dave,
So far, you're the first one who has ran into "bug"s, as far as I know. I have "visited" that site from several different computers, using various browsers and have yet to run across any. So I would be interested to know which bugs you are getting hit with. I wouldn't want anyone to get a virus or anything.

Dave C:
Just a minor note, it's Neopre<u>n</u>e, not Neopre<u>m</u>e (even though you'll find the latter posted quite often) .. I think you'll have to fab your own gasket if you're going with Neoprene instead of the original cork.. Charlie may know of a source of both??

Jim L.,
In regards to your question of which Cubs had balance gears, that question doesn't lend to an easy answer.

According to the Cub FAQ data, http://cubfaq.com/enginespecs.html , the 10, 12, 14, and 16HP engines had balance gears. However, folks that have opened up their aforementioned Kohlers have claimed that not ALL of them had balance gears inside.

A few months ago, we tried to gather balance gear data from the folks here, but the effort didn't go very far....and understandably, because many of our Cubs have had engine work done where the gears may have been removed years ago, they've had engine transplants from other Cubs, they've had newer replacement engines installed. So along the past 40+ years we were not able to generate a true pattern or answer to that question.

The data gathered was not able to determine a pattern relating the presence of balance gears to Cub model or serial #, engine serial or Spec #, etc....... The only visual balance gear indicator (from outside the crankcase) that was determined was the number and location of the oil dipsticks.

OF THE DATA GATHERED, a general consensus was determined to be linked to the oil dipstick tubes, and three groups were determined:

#1) The data indicated that most Cubs equipped with a 10, 12, 14, or 16HP Kohler engines that were fitted with a long, single oil dipstick tube (located on the LH side behind the Starter/Generator), DID NOT have balance gears.

#2) Of the Cubs equipped with a 10, 12, 14, or 16HP Kohler engines that were fitted with a single, short oil dipstick tube(located on the RH side near the cam cover), DID HAVE balance gears.

#3) Then finally, there was a smaller, third group of Cubs what were equipped with a 10, 12, 14, or 16HP Kohler engines that were fitted with both the long AND the short oil dipstick tubes, and they likely DID HAVE balance gears.

This makes sense since the long, single oil dipstick (located on the LH side behind the Starter/Generator) would pass the dipstick through the same location inside the block as where the balance gears were installed. Of the dual dipstick tube engines, the long tube only had a stub stick installed and thus didn't pass deep enough into the block crankcase to interfere with the balance gears.

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Dave Ross;

Are you serious?

Art;

Kind'a like the old Wankel rotary engine models?
roflol.gif

DAVE C. , Kendell - I agree, NeopreNe. Anyhow, if You look at the compatibility charts there's probably better materials for replacing the cork gasket. A standard Buna-N nitrile rubber would be O-K, but if I remember correctly Viton would be pretty expensive but the LAST gasket any CC would ever need, It has excellent resistance against petroleum products.

That being said Richard C. has had great luck with His neoprene gaskets. Your counter person at the local Motion Ind. store should have a compatability list of materials, it's probably in the McMaster-Carr & Grainger cat. also.

Dave R.....I've been there several time and never seen anything. The only thing I would guess are advertisement cookies. I can set my CA Security Suite so it will pop off at just about every where I go so maybe you could check your settings.

Bobby...Ohhh...Wankle...memories.. lol. I had a Mazda RX?..not a 7, that had one. With headers and a Holley 4bbl they sure will turn
lol.gif

I know there was a snowmobile in the '60's that had one and somewhere I saw a small one about Kohler size I would like to get my hands on. There are so many possibilities with one of those I could have a ball with...

Dennis...I always thought neoprene was for chest waders
lol.gif

Back