Archive through December 14, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne that did sound fun, after reading your post I went back and revisited your shredder upgrade thread..

Nothing like a day of work with the help of a International Harvester Cub Cadet

I never thought about trying HILLMENfor a throtle shaft bushing.I've called quite a few places looking for them so I wouldnt have to order them online.What hurts,theres a hillmen warehouse about 5 min from my house. I've got 2 carbs I wn to do,actually 3 ,but some places want between $3 - $9 /each plus 6-10 shipping.How did them hillman bushings work out? pretty good? Thanks for that info,I was honestly getting ready to order a few online,it kills me when places charge $10.00 to ship somthing that fits in a envelops.lol thanks again Home of the Plow Special !!!

Thanks everybody for the input and guidance. I think I will go ahead and rebuild my electric lift actuator, and install a spring assist as well. I figure if the electric lift doesn’t have the grunt to lift the attachments after I rebuild it, I can always go to plan B, either an aftermarket linear actuator, or a hydraulic system. From what Melody and Bruce have said, I think it might be sufficient.
Harry, I believe you asked for pictures of my project tractor. Here it is, and I’ve added it to my profile as well.
250490.jpg

Scott L - geez, I wasn't expecting to see a 126 looking like yours. Someone has already painted it up and it looks pretty decent. I see the engine is black which is the way I always painted the units I restored. I know it's not original but the contrast is great, and there was always a little physc about having a black engine that it may be a replacement, since the replacements most always came black. Do you know if your engine has been rebuilt/overhauled? If it's your intention to go thru everything on the tractor then you have found the right place. I believe I already mentioned the FAQ's and Charlie's FAQs. They'll provide you a ton of information and you can always post questions here if you need additional help with something or needs more specific details.

Scott L.

Very nice. I was not expecting to see such a nice ride. Dad and I have been laughed at when we wax our Cubs. They don"t understand and we get the last laugh. A 30+ year old tractor you still use for work is just to cool.

Harry,
On the BB36 the only parts that looked weak were the auger bearings on both sides, replaced both then cleaned, lubed and painted it, should be ready to go. I was going to hook it on last winter but never did. I seen the the grill had to come back off so we haven't took the time yet.

I'm still having starting problems with the latest 149. I go to start it and it "hits" with the choke on but when I slowly depress the choke it stops trying to start. I have the throttle at about half. Every time I choke it it will fire and do the same for several attempts. After a while it will fire and run like a charm. It will continue to start just fine as long as the engine doesn't get totally cold. As mentioned in a previous post I checked and found the timing right on the mark using the static method, cleaned the points, and readjusted the carb a tad but not much. Once it does fire and starts running it blows blue smoke but that clears up completely after a few seconds. I'm thinking that may be a clue I'm not getting. The fuel does have MMO but only the mix I always use.

It takes me about 20 minutes to fill the trailer with mulch and when I get back on the 149 I don't even need the choke; she fires right up with the throttle at idle and runs great with no smoke. The battery isn't charging because of the v/r but I've been keeping it up between uses and it spins the engine well. ACR seems to not be an issue at all.

Anyone have any ideas????

Harry, here's the pictures of my 126 with the hydraulic lift. I had to go out this morning to the Cub shed and take them since I didn't have any on my computer. It's been a long time but I don't think I had to drill the mounting holes. Looking at Scott's picture I think they're already there.

250492.jpg

250493.jpg

Wayne.
Did you check your air cleaner for dirt or debris. See if your high speed needle is clogged also.My 125 acts the same way when it is below 30° full choke and half throttle, it takes a few times for it to start.Once it starts black smokes comes out of the stack then clears up.I have been using a Diehard gold for the last 4 years and it has lived up to it's name.

Wayne,
My first thought was your spark plug, My 129 was doing that and after changing plugs it worked much better.

thanks for the shredder update, I really need to find one to fix up for my place.

Harry and Bill. I wasn’t planning to pick up a project tractor that had already been cleaned up, but after pricing some rusty old tractors that were less than complete, this one came along, complete with creeper gear and electric lift, and the price was right. I’m not sure just how much it was reconditioned mechanically. There is slop in the steering, rattles and squeaks in the clutch and throw-out bearing, etc, but the engine runs like a top. It starts right up, idles slow and steady, no smoke… Anyway, I plan to take the tractor all apart in my basement over the winter, and go through everything, adding a Cat 0 three-point hitch in the process.
I was looking at the installation manual and online photos and literature of the hydraulic lift system available on the 102, 104, 105, 122, 123, 124 and 125 last night, and I also noticed that the mounting holes do seem to be in place on my 126. I couldn’t imagine how difficult that system would be to find, and put in working order. I was toying with the idea of putting a 2GM hydraulic pump somewhere, and controlling a cylinder, in the place of the electric actuator, with a solenoid valve. That would keep the system rather discrete, although it wouldn’t be original.
Anyway, I’m going to move forward rebuilding the electric lift, and see how that works out..

This is the 125 I use for winter chores.

250497.jpg

This one I just picked up.Hard staring in the cold,if it starts at all.Sounds like it is out of time,the valves need adjusting,or the ACR is bad.

250498.jpg

Scott I am only a wide frame guy but I must say a 126 with creeper and elect lift
greenthumb.gif

Lewis-

It has a brand new filter and pre-filter. I just went through this engine. The only thing I didn't do is mess with the rings and bore. Also, it was in the high 40s yesterday when I first started her.

Jeff-

You might be onto something there. I've had some bad spark plug happenings lately. The 124 in the pics I posted wouldn't start well so I removed and cleaned the spark plug knowing it was a smoker. It started and ran fine for the short time I needed it. I parked it for a week or so and it wouldn't start again so I just got another plug and it starts and smokes just fine now.

I'm really concerned about the blue smoke once it does start and whether it has something to do with the valves or not. As I mentioned though it clears up in seconds with no smoke from then on until cold again.

Thanks for the input guys.

Recently I have had 2 sparkplug issues.Both were new plugs with very little run time.Came out of an old original champion box but after setting a week or so neither one would fire.They both hit a little but not enough to come close to firing.I finally looked at the plug laying on the head and both were firing way up inside the plug.I don't know where they were made but the new ones I replaced them with were made in mexico.Different box too.Anyway both started with new ones and run great.

I have a 123/125 seat question:
What color blue was the trim on the orginal seat like this Cub Cadet?
250506.jpg

250507.jpg

This Cub Cadet will be raffle off at Red Power Round Up 2013.

Dale if thats your 123, it is very nice
I think the 123 crown was the coolest

I pulled the hydraulics from the 149 donor to clean up for the 169

And at this rate it will be ready before we get something to push...285 days without snow accumalation
250512.jpg

250513.jpg

This photo is where it links to the lift lever, and surprising isn"t waddled out like the lift lever was
250514.jpg

Dale: It was called "teal blue".
happy.gif

Jeff: I so agree on the crown! Hmmm .. must be a story behind it?
happy.gif
happy.gif

Drilled "the hole" today:
250519.jpg

250520.jpg

First pic is the $20 angle grinder and its drill bit that I had to shorten to get it into the bore.
Second pic is showing a scratch mark on the right side, just above the balance gear post. That's where the hole comes out. Any higher in the bore and I wouldn't have dared try to go where I'm going.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back