• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 10, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Kraig
Forward!
joker.gif

Jim,
I had the very same issue on my QA42a when I restored it. The ends are removeable from the auger, remove the bolt and it'll come apart (good luck... as me how I know).. Since I could not get mine apart, I set up a "lathe" on my work bench to be able to spin the auger while I "machined" the stub from 1" down to 15/16" with a die grinder with a flat sanding disc on it... I had junior pull on a rope wrapped around the other end of the auger to spin it, while I ground down the damaged end. I checked it frequently, and took my time, and it came out perfect... I got the 15/16" bearing from the local TSC store, put her on with some cylindrical loc-tite, and it's been on for 6 years now...
182318.jpg

182319.jpg

the finished product
182320.jpg

Art,
Myron sent me some pics of an O that belongs to a gentleman in the UK that has that same problem. But he's gonna restore and fix it.
182322.jpg

Or, you just need to keep a spare auger on hand.
happy.gif

182326.jpg

Art,
shame.gif
wrong answer.
lol.gif

With all that snow I know Charlie MUST have his chains on lol.
jawdrop.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif

I`ll be a good Cubber as soon as my parts get here I`am bored lol
Later Don T
lurking.gif

All,
Can I put the PTO and pulley/clutch basket from my 147 onto my Original.
--Ray

Ray, yes the PTO and SG/Pulley/clutch basket will fit. The engagement lever and linkage assembly however will not fit. Click HERE and scroll down for several posts on Original front PTO setups.

OMG...That poor O....That should be transferred to my Cave to be put on life support..

Scott - I thought of doing something like that, but I hoped there was something a little easier and cost effective. Maybe I should just go find a front blade and not worry about all the rotating parts that can wear out... On a side note, what do you have there rotating the thrower chute?? Do you have any pictures of that up close?? I'd like to come up with something that will hook up to the the front ports on my dual hydraulic 1650 so I can turn the chute with the lever.

Thanks Kraig,

Brendan,
If by poor O you're meaing my Original, hands off. I finally rebuilt the block that I bought from Ted Ill (remember him) and the tractor is WAY COOL. I'll post pics soon. I wanna put my CW-36 on the O and have some fun. Even made some Original decals that cost me A BUCK EACH. (Macs are beautiful machines).
R

Thanks again Kraig for the reference photos. Actually, you sent me a disk years ago that has the Conversion instructions for placing a PTO onto the crankshaft of an Original. The plans come with instructions on the linkage as well. I ask the question about taking off the PTO from the 147 b/c some of the guys were doubting it would work. The diameter of each shaft is the same. Some of the directions call for placement of the lock collar 1 1/4" from the end of the shaft and some call for 1 1/2" from the end of the shaft depending on the number of horses. Seems to me the bearing has to be lined up with the end of the shaft. That would determine the placement of the lock collar. The pulley with the clutch basket could be fudged a bit to line up with the Starter Generator pulley.

We ran out of parts on the line that I was working on today so I took two hours vacation and helped Zach Zeroth clear out some of our snow and a couple of neighbors driveways. He had the 125/snowthrower and I had the Keepsake 1650 with blade. I didn't take time for pictures since we needed to get as much done as we could before I froze. Zach is from Minnesota and he said this snow is like they get near his hometown area. Two Cubs sure can move a lot of snow. Zach loves the 125 combo. I was amamzed at how much power the Keepsake 1650 has when it comes to moving snow. Working together we were able to make short work of some three foot tall drifts. Now if it will warm up to say 40* and melt some of this stuff then we'll have room for more.

Ray...I was talkin bout the UK Original Charlie posted, it's ruff
lol.gif

I've seen plenty of Cubs that started out lookin pretty ugly then turn into beauty queens...wait a minute...hydros are female, so it's got to be...prince charming
whistling.gif

My O isn't a prize package right now, hopefully soon I'll get to play, oops, work it....

charlie,
I tried to get mine loose to put on a new sprocket, but no-go, short of cutting it off... My 'Red-Green' approved method was way cheaper....
cool.gif
rofl.gif

As for the rotator, It is a power window motor connected w/ a lovejoy coupling. There are hydraulic versions out there (oh Kraaaaaiiigg!!!) I have pics but not at the pc I am on now... Anyhoo, It makes it real nice instead of cranking...

As far as a blade, I think you'll find the consensus here is everyone would rather throw snow than to push it....
thumbsup.gif

Snow skipped us for the most part, started with wet snow/rain on top of thawed ground, so I never got the 129 out (actually don't have either the blade or thrower on it). The drive is now frozen, so tomorrow, I'm going to take the "groomer" that I use on the driveway in the summer (old section of wrought iron fence) and knock all the high spots off our drive.
Jim: Build a chute turner - you'll never go back to hand crankin' that chute around.. I took my cue from Scott and ?? (CRS) used a window motor and a little time with a welder...
182337.jpg

182338.jpg

Scott:
You went wayyy beyond what I did on the auger bearings - I built it up with the MIG and ground off the high spots till the bearing fit..worst trade I ever made - from a like new QA36 (narrow frame model made to fit the WF) to a beat up QA42..

Had a bad day it started with the 1200/qa36 and a frozen ignition, thawed it out then a dead battery, charged it then a flooded carb, removed it but ran out of time to work on it. then no chains yet for the 128 to plow with. Really started murmering about selling all my cub stuff
rant.gif
...now just tired and will re-evaluate it all tomorrow. oh also my truck would not start battery most likely and then car got stuck in the driveway while trying to leave for work got it out and am now at work. wish i could rewind about 10 hours.

Jim, Scott, Charlie,

Not all QA-XXa had removable end shafts. My 36” thrower had end shafts longer than what Charlie showed. The shafts were about 6” long and had two large washers about 5” apart that were welded to the auger tube and shafts. The sprocket was welded in three locations to one of the end washers. I know my QA-36A was purchased new in 1972 by my father, I don’t know which type of auger setup was sold first.

I had the same issue with the bearings spinning on the shaft and new bearing would not lock on anymore. I gutted the auger tube with a torch and ground out the rest with a die grinder. I made 4 new washers out of 1/8”steel plate with a circle cutter and purchased a new sprocket and 36” precision rotary motion (over kill $$$) shaft from McMaster . Now I have a sold shaft running the entire inside length of the auger. The inner washers are welded in about 8”-10” from the outer washers, this was as far as I could get down the auger tube with a stick welder. The outer washers are as they were, along with the new sprocket.

Jim

Well I got not snow removal photos to show curently. Could not convince the wife to stand outside and snap a few photos.

It did however take me an extra 6 hours to get home Wednesday morning. Normal drive time for the 36 mile treck home is 45 minutes.
I left work at 2:30am and got home at 9:30am to a driveay 2 feet deep in snow, had to clear the driveway just to get the car into the driveway.

Jim P.
Those auger gears I posted pics of are for the QA36 & QA42 only.
BUT, I have, with the help of a small grinder and a welder, replaced mine on the QA36A a few years ago.
When I did the speed up thing, I figured I just as well go all the way, just to make sure!
Gotta love throwin big snow ya know.
182340.jpg

Latest posts

Back