• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 10, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a question A LONG time ago regarding a speed issue with my 782D. I never was able to check back for an answer, so I am asking again.

I restored a 782D. Runs GREAT! But it seems to go slow. I have a 782 gas tractor and that things flys! I don't know if there is an adjustment that needs to be made or even what it would be. You have all helped me in the past, so I am again looking for your help. Is there ANYTHINg that can be done? I just remember them being faster.
71421.jpg

Mr Plow.

Is it the weird looking shadow behind the guy's head with classes?

Steve-
I'm not really up on the old combines, but I'm trying to figure out where the feederhouse went on the self propeled combine in the background.

71426.jpg

I asked awhile back about what kind of plow I have, I wasn't able to post a pic at that time, but anybody know what I have here? The plow looks alot worse than it is, actually everything is free and moves very well

Wyatt, On the older 3 digit model combines, the feeder house was part of each head. They detached from the combine under the cab at the thresher cylinder. PIA to mount the headers!! We had an old 303 model for a few years as a 3rd combine to our
prefered Gleaners.

Charlie,
I was looking at the Plowday pictures and noticed a couple of different people took pictures of our conversation. Must be the paparazzi following you again!
clappy.gif

71434.jpg

71435.jpg

Larry Wright:
Check in the Sandbox - I just started a thread there that may be a little more helpful in actually adjusting the regulator.. The FAQ is great at telling you how it works, but not how to do the adjustment.. ( Which is what I've always been accused of ....telling someone how to build a watch when they asked me what time it was...)

Mr.Plow, is it the one lonely tri-cycle amid all the wide front ends?

Wyatts point is the closest "clue" so far. It actually relates to an issue very similar to the one Art brought up in his very first post about the pic....

Thanks Kentuck, that plow measures six inches, nice for the price, that is free. I have been checking Greedbay for a Brinly. I love collecting free stuff, no need to explain to the wife were the money was fritered to. Once again thanks for the info

Big D,

Nice diesel man!!!!

I think I can help.

Remove the tunnel cover an look very closely at the hydro linkage, specifically where the Neutral pedal return clevis attaches to the "Y" shaped yoke on the linkage.

Is the pin (or "T" bolt) on your "N" return burried in the bottom of the "Y"????

When the return is burried it limits the range of the forward travel portion of the hydro lever => you go slow.

Adjust the clevis on the clutch/"N" return pedal linkage until the "T" bolt just barely engages the "v" part of the "Y"...just enough stop the tractor, but no more...don't pull it any further into the bottom leg of the "Y" than necessary.

It should run like a scalded dog when you get it adjusted right.

71447.jpg

Thanks alot Steve. I take a look at that and see what I got. Hopefully that will help.

Steve B.

Is that a reverse picture? Looks like the cab is on the wrong side.

Thanks Steve , that hydro adjusting you posted will come in handy when my parts arive. mosly i just read all the postings and many of my ? are answered. thanks Don
coffee.gif

Jim: I've got a 782 and had a similar problem with the carb. I am not sure which of the following corrected it, but the thing runs perfect today. However, all the advise I got led to this: 1) Ifa you gotta no spark, ita noa run. Ifa you gotta weak spark, ita run notso good. Thus, first replace the sparkplug wires with COPPER CORE wires - they will make a difference immediately if your wires were funky. Next, set the timing at the RPM called for by the KT17 manual...I think it is WOT (wide open throttle...aka 3600 rpm). Use a timing light (if you got one) or by setting point gap if you dont. If your points are aged or doubtful, replace along with the condensor (save both...just in case. Also, it helps drive your wife nuts that you save all that useless junk and use up her Ziplock bags). Ditto on the plugs. Gap them correctly (not PERFECTLY - no one but God Almighty knows when they are PERFECT).

Now you have the electricity side of things squared away. The ONLY other thing that it can be (short of a worn-out something expensive in the engine) is air/fuel mixture. If you have been needing choke, it's because there is too much air in relation to fuel. The adjustments on the carb are simple. Download the KT17 owners manual from Kohler's website - the instructions are so easy even I could do it. If you can't find it, email me offline and I'll mail it to you. Next, check for leaks - start with the carb to intake manifold bolts/nuts. Snug them up. Not TOO tight - just tight. Don't reef on them with a wrench. If that mating appears good, move on. If not, remove the carb and replace the gasket between the carb and intake. Ditto the gaskets mating to the heads. Now check the play in the throttle linkage arm doodads (that's mechanic talk for any moving parts that pierce the carb housing and could allow air to sneak into the mixture pathway). They should appear stout and reasonably tight (not wobbling to and fro as if the mount holes were egg-shaped). If they appear good, now it is time to buy the CARB REBUILD KIT and install per the instructions that come with it. If not - and everything else is squared away - you probably have some worn-out doodads (more mechanic talk) and this is where my knowledge bank is tapped out. At this point, I would dismount the carb and mail it to a professional or just buy a new one.

Remember - these carbs are simple and reliable...like an M1 Garand. They are well-engineered and fussy only when you have them totally screwed up.

Other stuff that can be wrong...but unlikely...are sticking valves, etc. It's entertaining to worry about the worst case scenario but the problem is usually the guy with the flat-bladed screwdriver and the Kohler manual...

Ahh, that would be me...

Richard C. got it correct, cabs and mufflers are all on the wrong side!!! Look at the Cub Lo-Boy, sign on the building (the IH logo was never last), combine cabs, oil filters, etc.

There are several photos of that dealer from that same day. Ken has used them in his books, one highlights a white demo baler and has a yellow wheel loader and 1256 w/icecream box cab by the sign. Compareit to one of those pics and the reverse negative is much clearer.

Latest posts

Back