• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 07, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got my red 782 a few years back it had an old office/desk chair for a seat, complete with cushioned armrests. Wish I had a pic of it now.

Hydro, I had the nose on it, then realized the rod was laying on the ground. I tried to slip the Z into the front arm and no way, ain't happening. I also realized I should put a new belt on it too and realized the rod went through the belt and knew I had to have the nose off to get all those items on.

I have the belt, I'll try this weekend to put it together, but no matter what I do with the s/g and the mount there is no way that rod is going to be able to be installed(two pieces or not).

Larry-I did the exact same thing when I did the pto rebuild on my 125,I think I could have with a lot of swearing gotten the pto rod back on with the grill housing on,but seemed in the long run easier to pull the grill housing back off

Larry K. I don't agree with Hydro on much, but I have to agree with him on your PTO rod. I've owned my #72 for soon will be 38 years in a couple weeks and have NEVER had the grill casting off it, but have rebuilt and installed a 10 & 14 hp Kohler, so it should be basically identical to your 105.

Just humor Hydro and Me, engage your PTO lever, slightly pull the lever out away from the dash and let it fully forward till it rests on the tractor frame, should take about a tenth of the time it takes to read that sentence. Loosen and remove the top mounting bolt on the starter/generator and slightly loosen the two lower bolts, remove the belt from the S/G pulley, pivot the S/G away from the engine and let it rest on the right frt tire.
You should be able to install the PTO rod in the front lever and angle it back to rest on the S/G bracket. Attach the rear section of the PTO rod, join them with the turnbuckle, swing the S/G up into position, slip the belt on the pulley, install the top bolt and tighten, tighten the two lower bolts. Adjust the pto clutch clearance as per manual with the turnuckle, snug up locknut. Even raising the hood for this job is optional. Loosening the turnbuckle to get clearance between the fiber button and PTO clutch is how I've always installed mule drive belts, snow blower drive belts, even sprayer pump drive belts run off the pto. Been a few other front mounted home-made attachments that I've built and run with the PTO too.

If the above doesn't work on your 105 then something is different on it. Even the 129 I had for 15+ years I used this procedure on. Harry and I will need pictures

Dennis/Harry/etc-

Larry is working on a 127, which has a completely different PTO engagement lever than the 1x4/5 series and earlier. Dennis, your 72's PTO lever removes with one bolt so you can install it on the rod. This is why you've not had to remove the grille casting to do this. I haven't had a 1x8/9 in awhile, but I'm pretty sure the PTO rod is bent at a 90 degree angle with a hole for a cotter pin at the PTO handle end, no Z like Larry is dealing with.

MATT - 105 or 127, the design of the pto linkage is the same and my detailed instructions work on either model. The turnbuckle disassembles, S/G top mount comes off and install the front half of the rod. The "Z" Larry is dealing with is on the lever end way up by the pto clutch, exact same piece I was describing. At NO time did I say anything about Removing the lever on the steering console. If it worked on my 129 it will work on his 127. Same design linkage.

Larry needs to update his profile too, shows a 105

Dennis-

I think we are both half right. After going through the parts lookup, the PTO clutch handle is different between a 125 and 127, but the rod is basically the same (and has a Z on both ends, if the parts diagrams can be believed). I remember having to take the grille casting off of one to do this once, probably because the turnbuckle was seized to the two linkage rods and that was the easiest way to remove it at that point.

I wonder if someone has modified Larry's linkage rod so this no longer disassembles the way it should? It is not visible in any of his pictures.

Update profile? Ok guess I need to figure that cause I don't recall every setting it up and where does it say I have a 105?

As for the PTO rod, I had the nose off so I wasn't just replacing the belt but figured since I had it apart I would replace the belt. Going by the fact the PTO rod was still in one piece I didn't even figure to take it apart to assemble it like I had only replaced the belt. The s/g was never off the motor either. I don't want everyone to fuss how I did or didn't do right. If I just wanted to change the belt on a running tractor I'm sure I would go about it differently.

My local paint store made up two rattle cans of Cub white so I'm getting the rims painted today so I can mount tires tomorrow.

Dennis- I think you were looking at his total posts which was 105 at the time.
happy.gif
His Cubs owned says 2.

I noticed that too Doug. Larry's at 106 now after his last post.

I'm just glad to see some good ole discussion and with some "old timers" no less.

We got our first snow which started yesterday. It's still snowing now but it's a typical Carolina snow and will be totally gone in 2 days or so.

Latest posts

Back