• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ethan - well here we go again. I don't know why Charlie said to forget the 129. I think it's a sweet tractor, and it has that red pin stripe on the hood which I always liked. Hey, you said "wait for one to fall into my lap". I'm not sure how many times that's happened to you already but I believe your luck is probably running out. If you run across any 129/149/169 I wouldn't wait.

Harry,
If it had HYDROLIC lift (I always wanted to spell it that way ONCE! LOL
It would be a great little tractor, and yes I know they are out there, and I should have said wait for a 129 with hydraulic lift and not armstrong. ;-)

149 for 14hp and hyd. lift, just like Charlie said!!!!

Digger, Castrol Edge Synthetic, O'Reilys Auto Parts, Think'n with your dipstick, what ever, still a dopey commercial! My 122 cub cadet uses Conventional Pennzoil. Hey nice look'n snow machines! I really like the way the tire chains look all even. Mine are all uneven and loose.

Harry-fall into my lap was a subtle attempt and humor and sarcasm on find a129/149/149 hence the”lol”at the end of my post,Digger-thank you for the input

Steve B (Frosty)

Glad to see out yer garage that the pine trees grew up enough now to cover up the across the street subdivision! maybe windbreak too for the cubs?

Ok, I got some pictures to share. I know how forums are....everyone likes pictures!

The patient waiting on new front legs:

318508.jpg

The rebuilt axle:

318509.jpg

Bushings installed: Since the bushings tightened up after pressing them in, I just lightly sanded the spindles til they slipped in nicely. That way it got rid of any existing damage on the spindle surface. A little tedious, but I like it.

318510.jpg

Pivot bushing installed:

318511.jpg

Got a 3/4" ream from work and going to run it through the axle tonight so the new pin will fit. Then I can check fitment in the frame. Might have to close up the gap on the axle mount as I have read before. I have the new 3/8" roll pin for the steering arm.

Then I am just down to painting the rims and getting tires installed.

With all of this talk about pending snow removal we southern boys would like to see some action videos.

Jeff...got that 169 ready???

I'm still cutting grass and raking leaves.

Larry K - looks like a lot of nice work there. I'm kinda wondering tho - since you said "after this I'm down to painting the rims and getting tires installed", but in your pic you seem to be horseless. You need some zoom zoom for that 127.

Digger - ya got me. I did forget about the 129 missin' HYDROLIC lift
biggrin.gif
- but HEY, sometimes it's missing on the 169 too.

Ethan - ya I got the sarcasm, but the truth is I wouldn't wait if you run across any 129/149/169. You've shown you have plenty of talent to work units over. If you run across a 129 without the hydraulic lift I'd still get it. You could pass the 129 along later if you find a 149/169. You know most guys on here never have to many of these units - in fact most of em' ain't got enough of um, they really want more.

You gotta have at least 1 for show, and 1 to go - 1 to go mow'n, 1 to go pullin', 1 to go push'n, 1 to go throw'n, 1 to go tillin', and 1 for just thrillin'.
rofl.gif

Once and a while (and getting more frequent) when I go to start my 149, I'll get nothing happening. If I had turn the starter/generator to a new position it will start.

Any thoughts on what would cause this?

James S.-

The brushes and/or commutator in the starter/generator probably need some attention.

Larry K.-

If you know someone with a lathe you might consider modifying a 3/4" bolt to use as a pivot pin. I have had limited luck bending the frame back after that channel gets widened and having it last.

Hydro, the engine is sitting in front of the frame, under the tarp. It only had one bolt holding it in, I think I will use all four???

Matt, working at a machine shop I have access to any machine I need. I used our horizontal mill to bush the axle. Once I get the pin fit tonight, I will see how sloppy the axle fits.

Harry-kind words thank you...I just make em work my 1450 and 125 aren’t show pieces they are workers to be sure,my goal is to get one tractor from each “generation”of the IH built cubs.I think your right about the 129 scenario those seem to be the most available tractors with 149s more scarce and 169s hens teeth.......at least in my neck of the woods

James Schrage My 169 gave me the same as your problem for a year. I would turn the gen 1/4 turn by hand and then it would fire up as t should. I rebuilt the gen., Installed a new regulator, Ran a extra ground to the generator and nothing I did helped. I finally found the starter solenoid was not grounding as it should. The ohm meter showed a good ground so I checked for voltage from frame to solenoid mounting bolt with switch in start position and found the problem. Hope this helps.

Back