• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 01, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbauer

displayname
Steven Bauer
does anyone know what type and how much oil a 982 uses? I bought one but have no manuel.

Steve, assuming it still has the original model Onan (Model B48G), 3.5 pints with a filter change and 3.2 pints without a filter change.

217190.jpg

STEVE B. : 982 with the B48G Onan takes 3-1/2 pints of oil, little over 1-1/2 quarts with a new filter. Any good 30W detergent auto oil works good. I'd maybe run 5W-30 or 10W-30 in winter. The Onan has an oil pump so doesn't rely on oil splash for lube so thick oil doesn't effect cold weather lubrication as much as on the old K-series Kohlers.

I use 15W-40 Rotella T in mine since I have gallon jugs of it around for my diesel pickup. But I don;t run mine at all in winter. Ken Weaver did a survey of oils that still have decent levels of zinc, or ZDDP for proper lube of mechanical valve lifters or tappets last summer and Rotella T was one of the best.

KRAIG - Thanks for posting that page of the 982 service manual.

IH recommended their Low Ash oil for all gas engines, CC's included. There was an interesting article in the last Red Power Magazine by "The Tractor Doctor", He was a mechanic for an IH dealer up around Oshkosh/Appleton, WI area for many many years.

He said the reason the K seres Kohlers start sticking exhaust valves is because the oil coats the exh valve stems and burns or charrs between the valve stem & guide. He said a K-series that has had IH Loc Ash oil will not have that black charred deposit, in fact changing to IH Low Ash will actually clean those deposits.

The actual Onan oil chart shows more multi-weight oils.

KRAIG - I don't have all the reference material on my PC. I actually have to look in "books"!
rtfm.gif

Thanks guys. Have any of you ever repaired a loose oil fill tube.

Charlie, I posted a bunch of Roland Bedell's great colored wiring diagrams in the new forum area you created.

Hope that was OK. I assumed that's what it is for. If not.
blush.gif

sorry.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

Nice job there!
worthy.gif
Charlie might have to tweak them as to progression. I love the idea that all will be able to have the manuals for this hobby. This is good stuff I think.

Day three of the wifes vacation and i`am wanting my Cub fix.I did get to run the 149 today !
old.gif

Light snow here in N/E Illinois, guess it's time to hook up the snow thrower.

Steven B. There was a Loctite product that someone on here recommended for the Oil Tube. It was one of the Threadlock/Assembly products that would jump a fair gap. I don't recall the number and their website has gotten more complex.

Can i still post? i guess i can.

Water + mower decks...

Not mine. I remove them several times per season to scrape off the grass clippings. You can avoid a lot of problems from wet grass clippings by not mowing wet grass. NEVER EVER wash any of the 44" or 50" decks...water will get trapped under the stiffener plate and rust and pit it and the deck skin all to heck since there was no paint in that area on them from the factory. I have welded up too many holes in those decks from them getting wet. I use this Rustoleum brush-on paint that can be applied over rust on the bottoms of my decks. I wire wheel off the grass and loose chunks of metal and then paint with that stuff. It works great. It will wear off of some areas, but grass clippings don't tend to stick to those areas, either. It's easy to scrape the chunks off of the other ares.

Jeff U.-

Looking great, but PLEASE tell me you didn't sandblast those front wheels with the bearings still in them...

Denny-

I have a 46GT deck on my 782D. It is a nice deck and cuts our uneven yard much better than most 44" and 50" decks I have had. The biggest problem with the 44" and 50" decks is the rust issue I mentioned above. The later CCC decks are pretty decent, but the factory powder coat is HORRIBLE. I need to sandblast and paint that 46GT one of these days.

The 46GT will fit any IH-built 82 series with no problems, and could probably be put on a 1x8/9 or QL with minimal changes. Forget putting it (or any of the newer decks) on a NF, though. You could probably kludge together a mule drive and carriage combo that would work, but those newer decks are all so tall. They would barely fit under the tractor let alone lift above the ground.

The aluminum housing spindles in the newer decks will fit the older decks and make a great replacement for the ST-745 bearings.

Charlie,
What "improvements" did you make to the forum? I can't get to it at work anymore... I go through 8 hrs of cub withdrawl now...
pcwhack.gif

They block activeX and stuff like that... Grr.

JB,
It's possible... anything will fit with the right adapter... I cut and welded mine, adding 1 inch to both sides..
217226.jpg

217227.jpg

It may be easier to find a QA42A subframe that it adjustable... Our sponsors probably have them...

matt those are the old bearings i have new bearings to replace all of them.... just got in working on 147 painting frame & going over axel last time.. Thanks for the heads up anyway.. Jeff U

Does any one know if IH makes a pop up canopy? Seems like I have seen them at tractor shows but I can find one online. Would love to buy one for my dad for Christmas? Any help would be great!! Thanks

do not know about popup canopy. but i.m sure someone here will know..
dunno.gif

the notch in the frame was put there to make room to ajust steering .
217240.jpg

217241.jpg

217242.jpg

confused.gif
Is there a way of knowing the day of mfg? Say serial #13774? I figure about 26,27,or 28th of JULY 1961.Is that correct?
According to HANK WILL'S book, July '61'serial #'s run from 12219-14210.

Latest posts

Back