• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 31, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbest

displayname
William Best
I'm glad IH made more than Cub Cadets and Farmalls.

229825.jpg

I don't have any really good user experience with any old Cub Cadets beyond my 147, but I will say that it does not lack for cutting power with the 48" deck. It plowed right through foot tall septic drain field grass with dull blades like it wasn't even there as soon as I brought it home. The turning radius isn't bad, either. (Beats the old hydro Wheel Horse I grew up using, IIRC. That thing took half a football field to turn around in.)

In my humble opinion, anyone with a 147 should keep their 147. They're just darned nice little tractors! The electric lift is goofy, though. Mine works perfectly, but I tell you, I really think I'd replace it with a hydraulic lift if I ever stumble upon the parts to do it.

Don i used a 147 with 48 deck for mowing duty for 20 years.I then went to my 169 with 44 deck which does a great job. But it is hard to beat a 147 for mowing. Probally soil conditions make a difference in tillers, but i like a gear drive for a tiller tractor much better than hydro. I have a tiller on a 1250 and one on a 102 and much prefer the 102. Just my 01c

Luther - I'll be down to get the 1250 and tiller then ...
whistling.gif

Ken i used it 2 years ago for the garden.Will use it for a hydrolic blade when i find one. It hasn't been started in 2 years. I need to get it out and run it some. Also my refurbed 127 with 48 deck needs to be run some also.
229828.jpg

Well couldn't find the 1250. Guess it disapeared in the confuser crash.

Luther - You'll never find it , I'm fast !
That's a purdy "Barn Queen".

Hey William,
How about a better look at that #4 trailer you have stashed in the back of the garage??

The #2's look pretty neat, great job at painting them up! Should have put something IH on the white one instead of the Cub Cadet decal, would have showed up really nice and been original too. Nice pin stripes on the red one.

Can't wait to see more of the 982!!!

Well its a tractor day here.no single malt today lol. I have not started the 147 or the 149 or my 1962 Original ,so today I think would be a good day. I think I will try the 147 a mowing grass and see how it works. I think I will need at least a belt from Charlie. More later Don T

Looking for answers. I have a IHCC 782 with a series I engine. The coil just went out on it.
Can a person wire in 2 single coils as a temporary fix till i can afford a new coil?

Bryce - I thought I was going to have to do that to my K532.
Yes , just be sure and keep them wired the same!

Anybody know what the fuel consumption for the 16, 14, 12, and 10 HP's are per hour at full throttle.

I need a little help here. I have been working on my 1650. Under the dash I have removed the wiring, loosened the spool valve, and removed the lift lever for minor repairs. A while ago I noticed this little critter under the tractor. This might be a question for the well seasoned cubber but where does it go? I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the spool valve is mounted to the bracket that mounts to the steering column. I didn't notice any spacers anywhere. The spacer shown is 3/8"L x 3/8"OD x 1/4"ID. It would have to be used with a 1/4" bolt unless it goes somewhere else.

229831.jpg

I'm taking a break from the nonworking 1250 for the time being. This 1650 is going to be a tiller for a while and I need it now.

Wayne - That's to new looking for a Cub part.
I looked through the 1650 parts look up ... nothing for that.

Mike Smith,

I have read that a gallon of regular gasoline equals about 15 HP-Hours of output from an automobile engine.

You asked for consumption at full throttle. It is important to remember that full throttle is simply Governed RPM on these Cubs. You must apply enough load to the engine for the governor to pull the throttle to the full open (WOT).

Therefore, let's assume that you are tilling a garden and that a given ground speed and tiller setting requires 10 HP. Your fuel consumption would be about the same for a 10, 12, 14, or 16 HP tractor.

Now assume you wish to till at the fastest speed possible. The 16 HP tractor should be able to do the work at a speed 60% faster and consuming 60% more fuel than the 10 HP tractor.

I know that there are many assumptions in my analysis and that this is not exact. For example, at idle, a 16 HP engine will consume more fuel than a 10 HP engine.

My points are:
That we rarely run these engines at full HP output and
Fuel consumption is primarily a function of work produced.

Ken-

I cleaned it up for the pic. It had some surface rust. I'm pretty sure it dropped out of where I'm working. I have tried to figure it out but haven't yet.

Anybody out there that knows the under dash area of a 1650? I think I have it all under control except for the placement of this spacer.

Wayne,

Would it be one of the two spacers (#10) on the parts link that Ken posted? The description looks like it might be a length of 3/8" std pipe.

Ken and Kentuck-

I figured it out. The spacers are actually standoffs and yes #10 is it. There are two of them so I looked under the tractor and found the other one. They go under the valve spool and keep it spaced 3/8" off of the bracket attached to the steering column. The reason is so the "U" bolts have space for the nuts which are between the spool valve and the bracket.

I learned something today as I do about every day I work on the ole cubs.

Thanks again guys.

Wayne - You said ,"loosened the spool valve" , you didn't say you took off the nuts. That's why I didn't think that would be it.

From now on when you take something apart and loose / forget pieces be more specific in what you did so's we can fix you up quicker !
facepalm.gif
aaaa_tongue2.gif

Well, the 21466 is getting closer to done. Shes had a facelift (still a little rough, workin on it slowly) but heres a few pictures for your viewing pleasure
thumbsup_old.gif

229838.jpg

229839.jpg

229840.jpg

229841.jpg

229842.jpg

Latest posts

Back