• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 30, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian...will clutch parts from a Harley or VW bug fit ur tractor? Maybe cheaper.....
whistling.gif

Here is my 2 cents worth on the auto supply coils not lasting on a Cub Cadet. I noticed the same thing when I used a spare coil from my Corvair on the Cub and it didn't last. Most automobile coils had a resistor or resistor wire in the circuit to the coil to drop the voltage. The automobile coil ran on about 6 to 8 volts and the Cub has a full 12 volts going to it.

D-I would agree. I have heard stories about Fort Wayne's IH Scout production and the advancements in databases. I really meant for the little guy like us, not the company as a whole. I should have made that more clear.

J

<font color="ff0000">Oh Mark! Did ya read the forum rules by any chance?
biggrin.gif
</font>

I normally just order parts online for my cub, but sometimes things would break that couldn't wait. Not having access to a Cub parts supplier when we lived in North Carolina, I had to go to one of the large parts stores for a new coil. Of course, 1964 IH Cub Cadet doesn't show up in their all-knowing computer database. "Is it a truck?" they would ask. About to throw my hands up after visiting three different places with no luck, I had an idea. I asked for a coil from a 1973 VW bug. They were all 12V, had internal resistors and are mounted to the fan shroud of a noisy, hot, vibrationy air-cooled engine. They take almost as much punishment as as our cubs dish out. I'm happy to say that it has been mowing along wonderfully for over 3 years, even though I don't get to mow now that we moved to the desert. The kids still enjoy "farming" with Daddy.

James,

I had a similar problem with my 12 horse recently. It would run fine on level ground and under light load, but as the load increased it would start missing out terribly. The problem turned out to be a cracked point contact arm that had allowed the point gap to open up to about 0.060". Might be worth a look.

Steve

Allen,

Point taken, I shouldn't really complain about the price compaired to the years of service they provided. It did take be by suprise, though, the number of things that had been worn out or just plain come up missing. The poor thing just wasn't really taken care of by the previous owner. Just mean more fun for me!
ihrotate.gif

Steve H thank goodness the points look like new and I adjusted them to 20. . I'm thinking of removing that head this afternoon. James

Anybody know if small car tire chains will fit a Cub ?? Saw an old article about tires that would fit( if u cut the fenders !)

Back