Archive through August 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis, that is the way I will probably go. I like your comment about the B&S and the ease of installation. That agrees with the info I got from SEW. Since the 782 is in really good condition I am willing to spend the extra money. I bought this one from an older couple about 10 years ago. It was in almost like new condition and I have only used it for parades. I would like to post a picture but it keeps telling me the image exceeds the maximum dimensions of 800 x 600. I will have to reset my camera and try again. Thanks for your comment.

William Best: Try taking a shot at 640 wide x 380 high, that is, standard VGA, or television, resolution. Works for me!
smile.gif

For perusal and general consumption: I recently had the opportunity of opening up an engine which the former owner informed me had lost compression.
Now I see why:

289667.jpg

289668.jpg

A closeup

289669.jpg

Obviously, the exhaust valve started hitting the head, until the stem bent, the valve stuck, and compression was lost.

My questions are:
(1) What would cause the valve to start hitting the head on a (reportedly) perfectly good-running engine? And
(2) how can a recurrence of such a condition be prevented in future? (assuming I can bring it back to life.

Any and all opinions welcome.

My guess is a broken valve stem or retainers. The spring would not be able to hold the valve down and the cam would knock the valve up into the head. The combustion than would force the valve back down, somewhat. The engine may have been running fine up until the valve problem, then it would little or no power or not run at all.

Thanks for the input, Jim. I took the side cover off, but failed to take a picture. Come to think of it, I don't think the spring was compressed, so the situation may be as you describe. I'll have to have the person on-site investigate further. Thanks again.
thumbsup.gif

Here's a first!
biggrin.gif

A potential new member tried to sign up this morning.

Total Posts: 0
City: seattle
State/Province: washington
IH BUILT Models Owned: 46" LED 1080p HDTV

Charlie--which model is this an attachment for? Now you can mow the lawn and watch the game! Although I must admit it would be a little difficult to see around a 46" screen. Unless it was a picture in picture where you could watch the game and see where you were going on the screen!

Or technology has come so far that it is a do it all TV. Mows the grass, blows the snow, tills the garden and you can still watch the game.

cubwinker.gif

Josh,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Now you can mow the lawn and watch the game! Although I must admit it would be a little difficult to see around a 46" screen. Unless it was a picture in picture where you could watch the game and see where you were going on the screen!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back