• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Luther,
try rotating the motor and then try shifting it.
the clutch plates are prolly stuck to the drive clutch, using a putty knife , lock the pedal down, and insert said putty knife between the clutch plates to break them free from said drive clutch.
Nice find on the Original I see it has fenders...

Thanks Lewis I will try that. Yes fenders ,3 point, and snow blower. I haven't started it yet but will.

I have a CC149 with the Kohler K321 engine. Can someone tell me where the timing sight hole is on this engine? Thanks!

Dennis, there should be a hole in the metal cover surrounding the fly wheel, it will be near the bottom and about the size of a dime.

I will warn you that it will most likely be tough to see the timing mark on the wheel

here is a link to a fellow forum members website that will help, check his how to tab

http://www.mgonitzke.net/cubcadet.html

I finally got some work done in the garage this past week. I pulled the Onan on the 982 and replaced the starter, cleaned it up, adjusted the steering and put it back together. I then pulled the engine on the KT on the 782 as it now has a hole in the side of the block. My grandson ran it with little or no oil and it threw a rod. I was going to get parts and repair it, but now after checking on the cost I am going to replace it with either a new Kohler or a new B&S. This is where I would like some advice from anyone who has experience with the newer type of engines. Which one? I have heard a couple of comments both good and bad on both. Also, info on the installation. Thanks in advance for your help.

William, putting a B&S will be more difficult than a Kohler due to the way the wires are routed and cables and such.

Keep your eyes open for a used Kolher Mag 18 or 20. That's a plain drop in with a relay addition (I've been given the wiring diagrams from the smarter guys on here).

I am confused though... If you can afford a brand new Kohler, why is fixing the other too much? We're you pricing a new block half? That would be pricey. Look on C/L. There is a Mag18 on the StL page right now for a Benjamin.

Nic, thanks for your reply. You're right about the cost. But there is something appealing to me about a new engine with overhead valves and less vibration, especially since this is the one I gave to my grandson. For the rest of my tractors, I will keep them original as best I can. Also, I spoke to Small Engine Warehouse and they have a B&S with an installation kit that makes it a drop in replacement. I am leaning toward this even though it will cost a few hundred extra, but not yet sure. Thanks again.

Dennis D.-

The sight hole on a K321 will be found in the bearing plate, not the flywheel shroud. Look down right behind the starter/gen. It's a bear to get a good sight but obviously can be done. The main problem is finding the timing marks in the first place. I use a dental mirror and flashlight but having the marks highlighted with white paint can be a big help. About the only way there is to do that is have it on the bench. Just remember the marks are on the back and not on the side like a K301, K241, etc.

Good luck.

Wayne thank you for the correction
bash.gif

Wow, lots of catching up to do. My wife , daughter and I were on a camping trip to Canada for 8 days.

Dan G., thanks for the nice comments on my Original you posted back on the 14th.
happy.gif

Jeff, Shultzie, Gerry, yes that photo of my Original's serial number always seems to appear like the numbers are raised not stamped when you first look at it.

William B. - My buddy put a 18 HP B&S in an off-topic tractor... a green one, with a kit from SEW. He was running the tractor around four hours after the truck dropped the box with the engine off in his driveway.

The newer OHV engines burn a lot less gas than the old dinosaur Onan & Kohler twins.

Terry Davis
Most all 7hp engines came on cubs with head bolts with one exception and that's the recoil 71 and 72. They had one stud to accommodate a brace to the "coffin" shaped starter mounting plate. Kraig mite have a picture. I know you were prolly not asking about recoils tho.

Here's a photo of a model 72 with recoil start. (This one belongs to Lewis Palma, or at least did at one point.) If you look close you can see the bracket Craig was referring to.

289640.jpg

Craig - thank you so much for the stud info. Being relatively new to Cubs I would likely never had gotten that info w/o your help. Dennis, Lew and others have chimed in and given their feedback I'm going to go back with bolts on the O engine I'm finishing up. Oh, I'm assuming I shouldn't expect to bump into too many recoil start 71s or 72s along the way. They are pretty cool looking I must say. Thanks again all.

Jeff and Wayne, Thanks for your replies. The hole was filled with the makings of a mouse nest but after using needle nose pliers to remove what I could I found the S and the line above it. The previous owner must have put white paint on it because it stood right out. Now to finish the tune up!

Dennis if it had a mouse nest, you probaly just scratched the surface. I would seriosly consider pulling the engine to check behind the tin it may be bad and will cause you engine problems.

Kraig,
still have the 72, and now a Original pull start, those bad boy puppies are keeper's.
On the mouse nest, I have seen some rats nest,they seem so large.

Dan guys we might have the best or almost the best garden tractors still around if you look for them made. I sold my 147 this week to a guy that was not ready for what he was getting lol. he call tonight to say I thought I bought a tractor for me only to know I bought one for my son and how he left it to !

Terry Kraig Lewis

Not much here on recoils lately. I have an original, 70,71 and 72 models of recoil, in varying conditions. In the sandy soil around here I can get by using a one extension no. 1 tiller with the recoil 71. However, it can really pop wheelies with the small engine up front. If I do stall it tho I've got to get up and start pulling again. I've enjoyed scrounging for the starter parts over the years because they are hard to find. It's interesting to note that the magneto on these was designed by Bendix and it is identical to that used on the Jacobsen Chief circa 1961-62.

Back