• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 22, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, thanks, but I wouldn't say "100% correct as usual" more like 90%, if that.....
happy.gif

Denny,

Not quite...I called in a favor with the instructor in the machine shop at Bradley. he let me use a little end mill for an hour or so, just traced an outline, squared them up and then freehanded them in with the table feed.

Well I decided to tear into the 12hp in my 122/72.
Earlyer I asked about where the little throttle plate screws could have gotten to and what kind of damage they might have done.
Well, heres what the head looked like when I pulled it off today.
38319.jpg

Heres what the piston looked like,
38320.jpg

I took the wire wheel after then to clean them up and heres what they look like.
38321.jpg

38322.jpg

It looks like the screws bounced around in the cylinder for a while befor exiting out through the muffler. To my supprise the piston was marked STD. You can see where the throttle screws bounced around in the middle and left side of the piston.
38323.jpg

So it looks like there is very little damage to the piston and head. The cylinder walls looked good, no scratches.
I will be getting a new head gasket this weekend and putting it back together, and putting it back to earning its keep.

Lonny, dont forget to remove the carbon from the ridge line while your there
beerchug.gif
dont look like to much damage, shouldn't hurt a thing. Tony

CraigR, theres more than one clutch on a cubcadet, unless you got a hydro. what clutch are you talking about, what model of tractor do you have? more info would be nice for everybody...

STEVE - The weights look real nice "freehand" or otherwise.

Anthony,
Are you refering to the ring of carbon around the top of the cylinder wall?

If so I also cleaned that up as well, trying to remove as many carbon hot spots as possable befor putting it all back together.

I see the plug has some carbon build-up also, so that will be replaced as well.

Thanks Denny, I'm happy with them!!!!

....BTW, for all the new members who emailed asking about the weights, the name on the weights (Midwest Super Cub) along with a quick internet search will turn up all kinds of good pulling goodies, including the front weights in 3 versions

Myron, Anthony,
Got the 25-757-19S kit last night. It was perfect! I still had to file a chamfer on the edge of the bushing to clear the idle speed screw threads but it, combined with the new shaft(which comes with a new top piece already peened on)makes the carb feel like new. I recommend this kit to anyone with an 8 hp and a #22 Carter/Kohler carb. Kenny

STEVE - Those aluminum weights are NEW! When My Buddy picked up Our weights a couple years ago....He lives in Moline and works in Davenport, Julian had full PALLETS of weights in the warehouse....HUNDREDS of 5# & 10#. It's ALL Good Stuff!

I am new to this forum (first post). I am restoring a CC 100. It is 90% done.

I realize that this is not the perfect place to grouse ~ vendors but hope someone will offer so help. Thx, KB

Kenneth B. -

Wow, your first post and you've already violated the rules. Good job
wink.gif

I was outside last night with my Cub (169) and noticed every time gave it the throttle sparks would jump out from the starter/generator terminal with the red wire, I'm not so sure that's normal?

Also, the reason I was looking over that way was that when I started it earlier I noticed a little wisp of smoke from the same terminal.

Computer types have a joke about letting the magic smoke out, I hope that's not what I doing here!

K

Anthony Owsley I have a model 122, and it is the main drive clutch not the PTO. It is quite noisy. There is a long spring on the shaft. What is the cure to this. Also it seems like whoever is editting this forum deletted half of my message that included the model # that I have.

Mr. McMeen,
This is my second & last post. When I was in the workplace (now retired) I had to tollerate arrogant people like you. I no longer have to do that. Don't need people like you in my life. Goodbye, I won't be bothering you anymore. KB}

Craig R -

Sorry, but that part of your post also included a want ad. Read the rules and perhaps follow them.

Is it really that arrogant to expect people to read and follow the rules?
wink.gif

How common was a 48 inch deck on a cub cadet 122?I called Madsons and they told me that a 122 didn't come with a 48 inch deck. My model # on the deck starts with 48. My deck pulleys are so thin and rusted that they shredded a new 22 dollar Gates belt. Are the spindle pulleys interchangeable b/t a 42",44" and 48" deck???Also is the idler pulley, spring, and arm interchangeable?

Matt K:

The Red wire is the large wire from the Starter Solenoid, used when starting the Motor.

It is large in size to handle the higher amperage.

There could be a number of reasons for the condition you describe. Some could be: (A) Bad terminal connection, (B) Loose terminal connection, (C) Cracked or broken terminal insulator, (D) Bad cable connector, (E) Bad cable (worn or high resistance), and (F) internal problems within the S/G.

I would suggest a real close look at this connection. This may require taking the S/G to a repair shop for indepth examination if this is beyond your level of experience.

Craig R. -

A 48" deck is pushing it on a 12HP unless you've done a David Kirk buildup on the engine. A 42" would be the more likely combination.

I had a 129 that I put my 50" deck on for grins - it worked on short grass, but get into the heavy stuff and forget it.

Mr Mcmeen I think you are confusing my post with Mr Kenneth Boyles. In no way am I attempting to break the rules of this forum, or trying to be arrogant. Mr Boyles post discusses arrogance not mine.

Latest posts

Back