• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 19, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thad, Don't think that's gonna work.
Post your pictures right hare on this site.
You will have to downsize them somewhat though.
PB sucks any more.

Brian, great work w/the cubs!!
The blade does a fine job, one just has to be patient and learn to toe the fine line between pushing and spinning is all.
Ask me how I know this, after all the cemetery grading work a couple weeks ago!!

Thad the pics don't really give an angle that allows us to see the depth of the damage, essentially, you could use the block "if" the piston ring area doesn't enter the damage. To see this visually, pull the piston and see where the shiny pattern is ending. Normally the bottom of the piston skirt comes out just a bit from the cylinder. If the damage doesn't extend up into the cylinder - you could be alright.

Update on the 149 leaking oil - after a couple of things that killed my cub time - a plumbing issue in the house and a 34 hour power outage - I was finally able to perform some diagnostics yesterday. The items to look at by Charlie were fine. So I dug into the oil breather and found the inlet completely clogged and the mesh also filled with dirt. Cleaned it up reinstalled the removed components and after a 20 minute test run - no oil was lost - thanks to Jim S. for pointing to the oil breather as a potential culprit. This is the down side to living in the high desert of New Mexico - dust, aka enchantment. Will be checking the oil breather inlet more often.

Got to pick up my V61 tires this weekend at the Rough & Tumble show in Kinzers PA. Ed brought an extra pair of Firestone 16x6.50 tri-ribs and I said let me think about it...when I came back an hour later they were gone.
Here are three different tires for comparison by my 122. 4.00-8 Deestone tri-ribs on left, Carlisle 16x6.50-8 ribs in center, and V61 16x6.50-8 on right. I should have also bought the Firestone tri-ribs. Snooze you lose!
316768.jpg

316769.jpg

Attachments

• 316768.jpg
    316768.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 316769.jpg
    316769.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 316768.jpg
    316768.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 316769.jpg
    316769.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 157
Jim K. Glad that you got your Cub up and running again. I'm battling a bum knee and then high humidity trying to mow lawn and work on a Cub Cadet for friend.

George L. Good score on the set of tires. And don't feel bad. I didn't get a nice set of used tires/rims complete with bearings for $40.00 at Red Power Roundup last month either. A day later... I kicked myself.

Oil drain plug on K301
The washer on the oil drain plug is toast on my K301. What type of washer is good. I have temporary used a piece of leather but it is starting to leak.
Comments appreciated
Earl L

Now that I have tires, back to my hydro. TC-157 doesn't show anything on either side of the damper plate next to the trunnion, but there is room for something on the trunnion side. What goes on the sides here?
316777.jpg

316778.jpg

316779.jpg

Attachments

• 316777.jpg
    316777.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 143
  • 316778.jpg
    316778.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 316779.jpg
    316779.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 316777.jpg
    316777.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 139
  • 316778.jpg
    316778.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 316779.jpg
    316779.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 150
Earl,

I didn't know they had a washer.
1a_scratchhead.gif

If yours does, maybe try an o-ring.

George,

Nice!!!
Can't wait to see them on your tractor.

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 153
Earl L.
Go to any auto parts store and get a 5/8" i.d. drain plug gasket.
You might have to ask for Dorman or something like that, but they all have them.
They have the fiber style as well as the metal compression style.

George L.
That spot is there to protect the snap ring from rubbing, nothing else goes in there unless you need to shim it one day, if things get sloppy.

George,

Did you say Deestone Tri-ribs on a 122?

316783.jpg

Or, did you say a dummy with Deestones on a 122?
lol.gif

316784.jpg

Now y'all have my curiosity up.
It's been awhile since I fooled with one, so I am gonna have to go and look.

Attachments

• 316783.jpg
    316783.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 155
  • 316784.jpg
    316784.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 189
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 140
  • 316784.jpg
    316784.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 316783.jpg
    316783.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 157
Marty G. Your 122 looks sharp. And I don't see a dummy on it. Just a great fellow Cub Cadet enthusiast.

Brian A., nice job on the driveway.
greenthumb.gif
How well did the big OT tractor work out for placement of the gravel?

George L., great tire comparison photo.
thumbsup.gif

Marty,
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 145
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 140
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 149
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 151
Marty G...Lookin' great! Very sharp
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 147
Wow Marty, your 122 looks great! Is that the Eddie Bauer edition? I tried to keep mine looking nice after I spent all winter tearing it down and repainting a few years ago. I took it for a drive, ag tires pulled a rock which scratched the wheels weights, breather spewed oil, hood marred grill, and one thing led to another...so now it's my daily driver. In fact, that experience helped me decide I didn't want to do full restorations. Yours looks very, very nice! I really wish I would have snagged those 16x6.50 Firestone tri-ribs when I had the chance.

Charlie, thanks for the damper plate tip, I'll have to look at that again, I think I had it on backwards and thought the retaining clip went on the other side. Goes to show that you really do need to take pictures before you start taking things apart. It's hard to discipline myself to grab my camera when I have grease and hy-tran all over my hands, shirt, pants, and fridge door handle ;-)

Agreed!!
I have tri ribs on one of my 100's and they look great, I think anyway!!

More work on the 108 yesterday. Got a new rear steering axle bushing cut, installed and surrounding paint touched up. The original was MIA and there was a big washer welded to the pin and 'C' channel in place of it. A few knocks w/the air chisel between the washer and channel and it and the axle pin came right out in one piece!. The spirol pin was also MIA.

The donor axle comes from a 1450 I am parting as well as the spindles.
Charlie has a new driveshaft on the way as I type, the PO had made a shaft but it's kinda hard to drive spirol pins around corners I guess cuz non of the holes were 100& in alignment w/the couplers and clutch plates!!
More on the front axle itself as it had been busted at some time and slobber welded back together. one of the spindles had been hogged out where the tie rod end goes and a larger one installed. A bolt and 2 nuts in place of the drag king end on the steering sector, geesh... what else will I find??
Oh yeah, and the seat springs have been welded up solid. The PO must have been a fat azz and tired of bottoming out when hitting bumps.
Just glad I have a great supplier and parts tractors to fall back on here.

Marty-

I believe you are North Carolinas premier trailer queen producer...at least for the time being. I'm like George in that I use all of mine. I have 3 out there today; two hauling firewood and the 149 to mow with later. Be sure and let us in on the barn plans...you know it's inevitable. I know you already have six or eight ready for the show room. Just keep it up. We all like seeing them and following their progress during the builds.

David-

Tractor Supply sells nice 3/4" ID collars two to a pack that work just fine for the axle pivot pin. I've used them on a couple of occasions.

It's time to go check out the solar eclipse here in NC. I never got any glasses so I'm using an old welding helmet that isn't automatic...works great!

Digger:
Thanks for the info on the oil drain plug washer. Glad you included the size, now I can pick one up before I drain the oil.
Earl L

Back