• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balder

displayname
Bill Alder
I'll try that pic again

195243.jpg

Bill now you need a trailer to get more than one at a time.
happy.gif

Hi Dave I do have a small 5x8' trailer that can haul one cub but believe me that little 4 cyl knows there is something behind it.
uhoh.gif

I fuigured that I should post my new to me cub hauler. Its a chevy Avalanche 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 8.1 (500 cu. inch) gasser in it. It doesnt know the meaning of a hill at all - but does know what a filling hose is! Pulling a 18' trailer loader with another truck I got 11.7 with it!

195281.jpg

I upsized to 285's - E-rated. So they can take some weight. The truck originally came with 245's and they were way to small in my opinion. They make the truck ride very nice cause of the stiffer side walls and milage stayed the same.

Aaron-
My 2000 3/4 ton Suburban came with the same 245's you mention and you're right, they're too small.

195408.jpg

I upgraded to E-rated 265's when I got these tires, but my next will be the 285's. They look great on your truck.

On a sidenote, my truck has the 6.0L engine, and it gets about 11.5..........EMPTY!

I bet that 8.1L is a M-O-N-S-T-E-R!!

Oh, and disregard the GREENE on my trailer. It was an "off" day.
shhh.gif

Nice suburban. Thats my second most favorite vehicle. I wish I had the BFG's but just couldnt swing it. I am glad I went 285's - no regrets. The next thing for the truck, which already has a K&N cold air intake - is some better exhaust - and a Diablo tuner to adjust some of the engine and transmissions settings. Ive read a lot on the Avalanche forum (I think that there is a forum for almost everything these days) that some guys with a few upgrades are getting close to 15 mpg with the 8.1 Liter engines. Nice thing is that I get 11.7 with a fully loaded trailer or empty. Its hard to not get into it when in town at a stop light though - 445 hp / 513 ft. lbs. of torque - is a lot of fun!

Aaron-
More HP and better mileage. I'm jealous...
Shift.gif

What gear ratio does your truck run?

Aaron S. I'M jealous.
195485.gif
That is SWEET!!!!

Okay guys.... What do you think of this little critter as a Cub Hauler? 1983 Chevy C30 custom built for the owner's company. 70,000 actual miles with 35,000 on new engine, transmission, and radiator. It has its own Onan generator (needs a muffler) Carpeted interior in back with drawers. Fold down area for bed. AC in cab that works. Always garaged so no rust. Reason for selling is the owner is retiring and shutting the business down. Almost new tires. Pictures were taken with my cell phone inside the building. 350 engine. 14-15 miles per gallon loaded unless you stomp on it. Angel fell in love with it.

195486.jpg

195487.jpg

195488.jpg

Looks able to hold two Cubs. $1500.00 .... Is it worth it?

Marlin,

That looks like a great option for a cub hauler. You could always put an RV roof air on it to run with the generator and be comfy on hot summer nights.

Marlin; That is a good deal on the truck. I was near your area last week, and was going to call you but wife got in a hurry to come home. I could have brought the truck with me just to get it out of your way.

That ain't a bad deal, I like the idea of being able to sleep in it besides haul stuff. (I'm a closet slide-in truck camper fan.)

Marlin, that reminds me of the truck that Geezer drives to Plow Days and tractor shows in... Though his isn't near as nice as the one you're looking at. Looks like it'd make a nice camper/multi-use truck.

AARON - Those are some CRAZY HP & Torque numbers for that 8.1L. Sometimes More HP can make decent MPG.

My old '96 F250 4X4 PSD is all stock, factory rated @ 210 or 215 HP depending on if you believe Ford's rating or Internationals, 425 #/ft of torque @ 2000 RPM. With the 5-spd manual & 3.55 gears I can still tow a 10,000# trailer and and cruise pretty easy @ 70. I towed Dad's '51 FARMALL M home four yrs ago from just outside Moline, IL, 400 mile round trip, empty down & loaded home, averaged 13.8 MPG for the whole trip grossing just over 17,000# on the way home.

MARLIN - If you don't have to borrow the $$$$ I'd OWN that van if I were you! It'd make a great CC hauler.

Marlin, That would make a great hauler or just a fun truck to have to go places in. Ive always wanted one like that - but havent came across a deal like that yet. Better jump on it!

Marlin,
If it only has 70,000 miles and 35,000 of those are on a "new" engine, transmission and radiator, I would be curious as to why it needed a new engine at 35,000 miles. A 350 Chevy is good for 4-5 times that mileage. Was it due to misuse, lack of routine maintenance, water/flood damage, etc? The answer may give you an idea about the condition of the rest of the truck.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Paul B. A very good question. I'll get an answer this weekend. It won't be available until mid-September whereas he is using it to haul some miscellaneous items from the shop.

Update on the van. The original engine developed an exhaust leak problem that went undetected until it ruined some major components. It cost the same for a new engine as the repairs would have so while the engine was out he went ahead and purchased a new transmission figuring that would logically go bad after isntalling a new engine. He believed in strong preventative medicine.

Back