• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 01, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby, if you are going to do what Paul just said
be "extreemly" careful taking the unit apart any dirt could ruin it.

Bobby, I just looked at your profile and any good Turbine Machanic could handel it...Ultra clean is the rule..

Matt & Paul, thanks for the advice .Never said I was a "good" turbine tech(LOL)! The seals don't leak now;just thinking down the road!
beer2.gif
These damn keys keep moving.Thanks, Bob.

Pops/Matt: Thanks for the help. This used to be my uncle’s tractor and he has gone through clutch disk in it throughout the years, however, I wouldn’t bet he had the plates turned or replaced. I do not ride the clutch. It is possible that the disk may have some glazing that I can not see. My bet would be the pressure plates and spring. I am planning on putting a creeper in it next spring once I save enough $ to buy one. I already have a short driveshaft for it. My plans now are to turn those pressure plates, install new spring and throw-out bearing and clutch disk.
So am I right in believing that the clutch should hold going down hills that are not too steep for the brakes to hold on?

Thanks

cscannon

Christopher: Yes the clutch should hold, I do not know actually how much incline that would cause it to slip but I am figuring pretty severe.

Pops

Christopher, I may have missed something but are you sure it's the clutch slipping and not a loss of traction? I have one bank I mow that is pretty steep and some times my 102 will pick up speed when one tire looses traction.

Bren

Christopher,

I assume you've got a K301 Kohler engine in your 128 Cub? If so, then a slipping clutch might not be your biggest concern.

Don't forget that operating the engine on too steep of an incline can also deprive the engine of proper motor oil lubrication. Since these old girls don't have a pressurized oiling system and rely 100% on splash lubrication, if the oil is all piled up on the side of the crankcase and not in the oil pan where the rod can splash it around, you could damage your engine seriously.

I believe the manual recommends no more than 30 degrees of tilt or you will likely shorten it's life.....
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Bren: It is the clutch slipping. But thanks for the thought.
Ryan: Yes my 126 has a K301. I am aware that the manual says 30% max because the of the splash oiling. Next time I mow I will put an angle finder on the hood. My gut feeling is that the angle is not more than 30%. I do a lot of rock crawling in an 85 toyota pickup that I built so I am very familiar with incline/decline and camber angles due to roll over risk.

Does anyone have any experience as to how much off-camber angle these tractors can take before rolling over? I have 10.50 wide tires with wheel weights.

Thanks

cscannon

In the parts look up for a front pto on a 104 the bearing is part #12. In the parts description below the picture there is also listed a snap ring for the bearing, part # IH-60072-c1. This part doesn't show up in the picture. Where does it go and is it required. I spoke with the local IH dealer and he said they've never carried the part and not sure where it would go. Any pictures or help will much appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin, I believe the snap ring is included with the bearing. It is basically there as a stop to prevent the bearing from being pushed too far onto the crankshaft.

Kraig, thanks. I reading back through the archives and read about a wire ring that was part of the bearing that prevented the bearing from being installed too far onto the shaft so I couldn't figure out why they had it listed seperatly if it's a part of the bearing.

Kevin, note that I wrote "I believe the....." I'm not 100% sure the snap ring is included. Hopefully someone that has bought one recently will jump in here..... Actually, I need to get two myself, if it isn't included I think I'll just move the old ones that are in my old bearings.

Involved when doing the hydro trunion repair last week was removing 2 external type snap rings. Now I might have over stretched them during removal,,, don't really know but, they were not seating properly upon reinstallation so two new ones were installed. Why I bring this up is a poster across the street brought up the point that snap rings have a flat side and a chamfered side and that the flat side should always be installed in the groove
with the flats side out. Makes sense to me.

1. Ryan W,

"I assume you've got a K301 Kohler engine in your 128 Cub? If so, then a slipping clutch might not be your biggest concern."

What's that suppose to mean? are these very a problematic model?

2. Does anyone have pictures of these externally mounted power steering pumps? I would love to retro fit my 128 with power steering. But not sure how to do it.

3. Back to the mower PTO. Don't think I have the same type as shown in the earlier exploded view. Here's pics of what is going on:

This doesn't seem quite right...
63344.jpg

Nic B, go back to Ryan W's post, and read the next paragraph after his K301 statement. That explains the problem better than I could. It's inherant in all small engines that don't have a pressure oil system, but the splash type oiling system. Ya just gotta be aware, when you get on a grade with the engine. if not, you end up with something that looks like that pto clutch you posted a picture of, only inside of your engine.

Your right, that isn't right, but I'll let the guys that know tell you what's right.

Now there's a pic from the past!

Nic,
IIRC the power steering pump is not used for power steering, but rather hydraulic lift or some such, but fear not. Up higher on the page, there's a box with Kirk Engines on it, click it and scroll down his web page to check out the thrust bearing mod to ease steering effort.

I was looking for a mower deck for my 124 and have found one that came off of a 71. Will this fit my 124? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back