• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 29, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbdavis

displayname
Terry Davis
Anyone know if any of the Originals used a dipstick on the motor or was that added with the 70/100s? Thanks

Terry,
My 62 Original does not have a dipstick.
Not sure when it was added.

Bill

I believe this was a PO mod, note the "TEE" handle welded to a pipe plug screwed into the top of the block in the photos below. This was the engine that was in my Original when I got it. It now has a rebuilt engine that I bought. Looks like a PO drilled and tapped for a homemade dip stick. I still have the engine so I should probably take better photos of it...

296230.jpg

296231.jpg

Here's what the Owners Manual says:

296232.jpg

296233.jpg

296234.jpg

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - nothing really wrong with those pictures of your old "O" engine (except the key in the keyway for the non-basket pulley is sticking out a little off the cranckshaft). SO, the question is, what does the replacement engine in your "O" have now"? A dipstick? A screw-in bayonet gauge?

Hydro, it's not an "original" Original engine, it has a (Kohler) factory dipstick. Not sure what it came out of, I bought it from (former?) forum member Kevin Dunham.

296236.jpg

Well, given Kraigs info it sounds like the dipstick was indeed added sometime during O production. Guess I'm curious now at what point. Could be a tuff one to answer. Thanks all.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Good news, as I was walking back from getting my mail this evening I thought, seeing as the snow has melted back quite a bit, I should look for the dip stick from my Killer Kohler that went missing back in January. I spotted a bit of yellow peeking through the snow near my fire wood piles and sure enough there it was! It's intact which means it did NOT go through the snowthrower as I had feared. Also where it was located tells me that it ejected towards the end of my snow removal event.
buttrock.gif
However, I still believe that the majority of the oil had been spit out before the dip stick fully ejected. There is no indication on the dip stick that it made any contact with the crank or cam so the origin of the metal bits that were on the magnetic drain plug are still a mystery.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Art, I guess I won't be needing that replacement dip stick now.
happy.gif
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

296238.jpg

Terry, hold on, still not sure if the dipstick was added during the Original's production run or at the time the 70/100 was introduced. The engine(s) in my Original are poor examples.

Hopefully Craig Carney and/or Paul Bell will post, they have more knowledge on Originals than anyone else I know of and they both pay attention to this kind of detail.

Kraig
Any chance you could post a PIX of the top of a 127 Kohler engine, I'm concerned that mine might be missing a cooling shroud!
Jack M

Jack, how's this? This is an engine that was in a 127.

296240.jpg

Front wheel bearings
Just doing my spring maintenance on my 129 and I have a question for someone. I have searched the archives but have not found the answer. I pulled off the front wheel (not an easy task)and checked the bearings. They have no grease (or very little). They turn but seem a little rough and of course there is no grease zert, so how do you grease the bearings. Do you take them out and pack them like a car wheel bearing or just fill up the cavity? I am afraid that they will be ruined if I try to remove them. What experience have others had?
Thanks for any comments
elamott

EARL - please Google ZERK. A grease ZERK is named after OSCAR ZERK, the man that invented them.

I'd carefully tap the bearings out of the wheels with a soft piece of wood and pack them with grease. The softer the wood the better.

Then carefully tap them back in.

Can someone tell me where to look for instructions on how to tighten up the speed control on the 127, it creeps slower and slower as you go, I've look underneath and in all the reading material and can't seem to find out how to tighten it, the previous owner had a small bungee cord hooked to it to keep it in place.

Kraig/Terry-

Going from memory, but I think both my Original project and my Dad's Original that he picked up a couple years ago have a dipstick and appear to have the original engine.

Back