• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 29, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Harry: All in due time. Thanks for helping us beat the Archive Bug!
Seriously, the K341 is hanging in the cellar and by this time next week it should be planted in its tractor. Damn, I want to take a ride on that thing.
happy.gif

Frank - I don't know what's going on with my typing skills. I know I typed engine "stand" and somehow it ended up showing "standard". I guess you got the jist anyway. Only other thing, I don't think I'd refer to "planting" an engine.

A week ago or so I was told about a garage sale that happened a couple of weeks ago at whick there was a CC with a tiller and no engine in it for sale. I was told that he was by there last week and it was all still sitting by the garage. So I went and looked but no one was home so I didn't get nossy but just took a quick glance at it. Got a phone number off of a truck they have for sale and called later.
The owner had started to restore it, All the metal is repainted decently, not perfect but nice.
He's not sure if it is a 149 or a 169 and I'm not real sure of what happend to the original engine.He has 2-3 dismantaled engine blocks but no oil pan. It comes with a decent deck, not great but usable, a No. 2 tiller, and a pair of homemade 100# plus wheel weights.
Went again this morning and he was at work, talked to his wife and looked it over, the engine stuff is in a barn somewhere so I couldn't look at it.
But the serial number is 2050048U510167
The 0048 makes it a 169, is this correct.
How hard is it to come by the correct engine/oil pan for this tractor?
Thanks
David

David the 48U does make it a 169, good luck with the engine hunt..

David: Didja get it? A "correct" engine for a 169 can be either a 12 or 13 fin K341 Kohler. If you can't find one easily, a 14hp K321 will do just fine!
happy.gif

Thanks guys for your replies.
Went back after the owner got home from work and looked at the engine stuff he had. He does have the original engine. Looks like something on the balance gears let go, the block is cracked in the corner by the balance gears. He has two other blocks/partial engines. They were to gruby for me to tell if they were the same series, I couldn't find any number cast in them under all the grease and dirt on them. They are not from a CC application. The tractor is missing a lot of little parts like the headlight panel and lights, tailights, grill, choke, throttle and other small stuff. His brother had originally tore it apart so it has been moved around several times.
I'm still up in the air about buying it. Looks to be a major project being tore apart and not entirely sure of what is missing.
How hard are these type of parts to find?
David

David you can find all the parts you need to put that together really easy and inexspensive,
the only hard to find thing will be a 16hp engine

hard but not impossible

I wonder if a guy could weld the block since the crack is up the corner? Anyone ever try?

David

David A. Gregg

I would give welding a try if you can find some who is an experienced welder. If the crack is back in the corner where the balance gears go ; then I sure would give it a try.

David G - when you look at the other engines check for the number of head bolts. The 16hp has 10, and the 10,12,and 14hp have 9. Since you said they are from non-CC's you also have to check the base to see if it has ears, which in some cases can be cut off and used in a CC. You also have to check the crankshaft output diameter and length. CC is 1" diameter 3" long with a keyway slot the length of the shaft. Alot of the other applications used a 1 and 1/8" diameter so you'd have to change the crank to use a CC manual PTO clutch. As far as other parts for a 169 except the engine, they are pretty readily available especially used, and everything from the 109/129/149 transfers, and even the gear drive 86/108/128 does as well as long as it's not a component specific to a gear drive. Please help save another 169 from the scrapper, even if you have to make it a 149 at least on a temporary basis.

on that note.....i think i have a problem:was out playin in the dirt last week and stalled out while pushing a pile of manure. matilda is now running like crap and doesnt sound right. any ideas?

Eliza-

The first thing I'd check would be the points. And make sure a piece of carbon isn't trying to short out the spark plug.

In other words, try the simple things first (plug then the points).

Eliza... your question really belongs on the main forum and with more detail than "its running like crap".

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">Exactly the reason Charlie questioned setting up a 169 thread in the Sandbox, you guys - it's gonna confuse people on where to post..</font></font>

sorry gerry but since it IS a 169 i merely assumed i could post it in the 169 thread

ty wayne....i will check that. it kinda seems that it mite (cries a little) b something to do with the hydro tho. it also hasnt been wanting to go back to neutral for a couple weeks.....adjustment?

Art, hope you don,t mind me reposting it here.. as of 5-6-13

sad thing is we have 31 which = .78% of 4005
258273.jpg

Eliza - The main Forum, as the header says, is the intended place for "A discussion forum for IH Cub Cadet garden tractors". Since your 169 falls into that category, your questions will get much broader viewing than in the Sandbox, which is intended as "Somewhere to post off topic and yak... ". You did nothing wrong, but the establishment of the 169 thread in the Sandbox was questionable, as was pointed out by Charlie some time ago, as it will draw less experienced posters to that thread as appearing to be the place to post 169 questions...
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back